How'd it go today?

So far it’s great, Mr. Blair is a really good writer.
There’s a lot of stories and a little poetry and talk of the older days of logging and arboriculture. I was really expecting it to be more of a reference than an enjoyable read.
I’m sure there’s tons of reference and instructional material later in it.

New hatchet today...

IMG_20201222_195342.jpg

Polish is pretty poor on it, but the core seems solid. Been working on the edge, but I'm a little tired of it. I'll, slowly bring it into shape as the mood strikes. Made in Germany under contract, at a fairly cheap price, so it looks like it was thrown together quick. It's solid, but doesn't match my expensive axes. Not sure if it'll work per plan. It's heavier than I was hoping, but I'll use it for something. It's gonna be a woods axe for work I think.

I am an oak man. I like to think I have some strong euc man tendencies, but honestly a true euc man would probably shut that line of thinking down real quick.

Looks like a fun book. You can only read so many technical books. Different words that say how to do the same thing. Kinda dry.

Got it from auction win on eBay for 32$. Was sold as used good condition, but I’m pretty sure it was never opened til this afternoon. I almost puked when I saw what Amazon book dealers want for it.

It is a great book.
I lend my copy to the apprentuices and expect them to read it.

Agreed - a good read and an interesting perspective

Re the oakman/eucman thing. I think I have swung between them both a t different parts of my career depending on situation. Running a small company now I'm more of an oak man, but I do keep the euc man close to hand to "get it done" when needed 😎

The 026 is deadish. Used it yesterday to cut up a big maple branch, and it dogged out in the big wood. I think the 3/8 chain made the deficiencies apparent. Took the muffler off today hoping to find it coked up, but the port was shiny and clean, and I could see some scuffs on the piston. Not deep, but they were there. The only feasible option is a Chinesium p&c, but I'm leaning towards writing the whole thing off. I'm not interested in a mechanical project, and I'm not especially interested in Chinesium. Next best is Meteor at >$100, but that's the start of a brand new saw a piece at a time option. Stupid for antique junk. I could just get a 261, and know it'll be good for a long time. Oh, and something's up with the oiler. Scorched the new bar. Haven't even looked at that, cause the p&c is first on the plate.

Looks like the poulan is going back to the office. It's been running good, but it'll probably start it's old tricks again when I really want to use it. Gonna sit on the 026 a bit to figure out what I'm doing with it, but the scrap heap looks like the best option atm.

But seriously. Was it running well before? What kinda fuel you using?
If you don’t got the time to really tinker with it, and are seriously considering scrapping it, I’d really drop it at a reputable saw shop and get a pro to look it over. Those saws are proven to go hard for many hours without much attention needed besides basic shit like good fuel and clean filters.

Some scratches on the cylinder isn’t good, but they really don’t need to be perfect.

I hadn't given it a hard workout up til yesterday, but it seemed ok with the .325 chain aside from the issues of the clapped out bar. Compression feels about right judging by hand; somewhere between my 362(60cc) and PoulanPro(42cc). The saw holds itself up by the rope. Sounds right running, and starts easily. Not sure what it could be aside from losing compression when it heats up. Fuel is the same I use in all my gear. Whatever synthetic oil(currently Stihl ultra), midgrade corn free, and mixed somewhere between 40:1 and 50:1.

I could try some cheap stuff like fuel/oil filters to see if that helps. I could also try taking to the shop, but I'm not interested in putting hundreds in it. That's just pissing money away imo. At half the cost of a new saw, you still have a lot of old shit that's yet to break, and you have a saw that's inferior by just about every measure to something new, even when running at 100%. He might cut me a deal on a 261 if I'm ready to buy right then, but I'm not sure I want to go Stihl with the office saw. It's a lot of money for a secondary saw. That's why I got the used one. Figured if it gave me a couple good years, I'd be good to go. Unfortunately, it was a good bit less than that.

edit:
Oh, and "scrapping it" is a figure of speech. I'm a packrat, and hold on to everything. It would go into storage until something cool happened(maybe come into a smashed 026 cheap or free), or I died. If I actually throw something out, it's useless to just about everybody :^D

Last edited:
And you regularly clean the air filter with a compressor? See what the spark plug looks like? It can tell you a lot.

Air filter's... Non existent? It's just metal mesh. That's something I was gonna look into, but hadn't gotten to it yet. I don't know if that's something that was used, or if it was a flocked filter that lost it's flocking. Haven't looked at the sparkplug yet. It's a little smoky when it runs. Not an area fogger, but noticeable compared to my new saws. I didn't think much of it considering it's age, but it may not be right. Never really ran an old saw.

Air filter's... Non existent? It's just metal mesh. That's something I was gonna look into, but hadn't gotten to it yet. I don't know if that's something that was used, or if it was a flocked filter that lost it's flocking. Haven't looked at the sparkplug yet. It's a little smoky when it runs. Not an area fogger, but noticeable compared to my new saws. I didn't think much of it considering it's age, but it may not be right. Never really ran an old saw.
Metal mesh is an option, but best used with soft wood and a sharp chain, so there are less fines to pass through. I'd trade my flocked for your metal screen filter. I have a few chinesium 026 ported as well if you end up needing one, but maybe you just need to tune the saw a bit richer? It is colder out which can lean a saw real quick. My 026 has no H screw, and naturally is super rich, so I tend to run it on 32:1 or even near 25:1 to get the most power out of it, and that also provides superior protection. A new oil pump would be a good idea, and maybe shorten the short side of the pump ramp or grind on the adjusting screw to get more stroke out of it for more oil.

Back