How'd it go today?

Cory,
He has two Coneheads, and wishes they were still being made. Both run great, and did not look good soon after getting them; the paint and poor sheet metal seems to have been their weak point. Those chippers will eat a ton of wood a minute.

Yesterday was back in the trees, cutting for crane day; Today was finishing replacing all the rotten, Carpenter-bee-eaten soffits and fascia, and adding soffit vents.View attachment 105482View attachment 105483View attachment 105484
Jeez, Patrick. You're old like me...and that look's like a whole lot of work.

I mean, hell...today I made about a quarter cord of firewood from some blow down red alder back about a tenth of a mile from the woodshed beside the house, on the other side of the creek. No mech. access. Wheelbarrow to the footbridge and stairs, hand carry across to the house side of the creek, into the second wheelbarrow, then up to the woodshed.

Nothing to sneeze at, for a fellow and his wife well into their 7th decade...but then we had a dose of ibuprofen, and a glass of whisky/whiskey (scotch/bourbon :)).

You on the other hand, are still killing it every day, more or less.

Kudos, sir.

Last edited:
Burnham,
Haven't you heard? 65 is the new 25!! (Tell my aching joints that after a typical day :lol: ).
I have been accused of acting my 'maturity level', not my age.
But, don't think for a moment that I don't buy the large bottle of Ibuprofen. And the warmth of sitting close by the fire in the evening is helpful.

Problem is, having Celiac Disease I can't resort to the grain-based alcohol-treatment regimen.
No Whisky (or Whiskey for that matter) - only recently became aware of the different origins/recipes and their differing spellings. Here's a quick explanation:

Whisky vs Whiskey

I backed off the heavy tree work about a year ago, but when a buddy loses two climbers, ya got to step in and help out on crane days, until he can hire and get them up to speed. We had three trees done by 2:30pm, and the boss/friend looks at his phone and says, 'radar shows rain coming in by 3:00pm; let's put the second job off to another day'. I looked myself on the drive back to the shop, and there was one small passing green lump a few miles away. Didn't call him on it, as we old farts have to save face with the young'uns, eh? I'm sure he was as beat as me by then.

And tomorrow it's back to installing (wrestling!) 34 foot and 39 foot gutters...

Im sure im not gonna tell you anything you aren't aware of, but recent I've also had to learn about pain relief and can no longer utilize my usual Jameson and beer. It's finally legal recreationally in Illinois, which means less than nothing for certain jobs, but some high thc indica will not take the pain away, but make it where you don't care and can sleep. Better than pain pills (narcotics) until you absolutely need them. Once again with you being in the med field, this is nothing new.

Wasn't sure what was happening today. Boss was doing whatever, and that took up my time, so I couldn't do much useful. The threat of work was there, but it was up in the air. I don't care much either way, but it's good to know so I can plan something.

That gnarly birch I was talking about months ago, finally gave up. I had cut down one half a couple months ago, and the other side just fell over in a storm. I bucked that up, but cut through the volunteer sprout. Pissed me off. It might not have done anything, but it only takes time to find out, and it's fun to watch.

The 026 *still* isn't cutting right. I'll give the bar some more attention, but I think it's just shot. I'll probably go to the shop this weekend and pickup a 3/8 rim for it, some files and a scabbard. I'm 85% sure I'm gonna get a 16" 3/8 bar for it to try out. I'll get an aftermarket bar til I'm sure it's good. If I manage to wear that out before the saw, I'll then probably go with a Stihl bar.

Wasn't sure what was happening today. Boss was doing whatever, and that took up my time, so I couldn't do much useful. The threat of work was there, but it was up in the air. I don't care much either way, but it's good to know so I can plan something.

That gnarly birch I was talking about months ago, finally gave up. I had cut down one half a couple months ago, and the other side just fell over in a storm. I bucked that up, but cut through the volunteer sprout. Pissed me off. It might not have done anything, but it only takes time to find out, and it's fun to watch.

The 026 *still* isn't cutting right. I'll give the bar some more attention, but I think it's just shot. I'll probably go to the shop this weekend and pickup a 3/8 rim for it, some files and a scabbard. I'm 85% sure I'm gonna get a 16" 3/8 bar for it to try out. I'll get an aftermarket bar til I'm sure it's good. If I manage to wear that out before the saw, I'll then probably go with a Stihl bar.
The cheapest bar you should ever get is a laminated Oregon, or a pro Archer bar (solid metal milled rails, replaceable tip). The other cheap aftermarket bars have stupid wide gauges due to poor tolerances and even misaligned laminations and may end up not cutting right from the start let alone 5 tanks of gas later.

Are you including WoodlandPro in that? That was my intended purchase. I have them on all my small saws(mostly echo), and I like them better than the stock bars. I have three of them now, and no flaws I've seen. I've never used their bigger bars @ 3/8 pitch.

Ground my first two stumps ever and hopefully my last. A 36 plus in 2 hours 1 foot below grade chasing roots. The second, 24" 6" below grade. They have to regrade the yard at the house on the remodel thus the 12". Covered the windows and had at it with a 13hp rental. Construction crews all around. Had my nerves on edge.

You can have that fugging job. My back hurts :lol: Thank the gods they were only horse chestnut. CA Buckeye
Ill cash the check tomorrow when i bill them for some felling and clearing on the driveway.

Are you including WoodlandPro in that? That was my intended purchase. I have them on all my small saws(mostly echo), and I like them better than the stock bars. I have three of them now, and no flaws I've seen. I've never used their bigger bars @ 3/8 pitch.
I forgot about them, I've never used one.

Ground my first two stumps ever and hopefully my last. A 36 plus in 2 hours 1 foot below grade chasing roots. The second, 24" 6" below grade. They have to regrade the yard at the house on the remodel thus the 12". Covered the windows and had at it with a 13hp rental. Construction crews all around. Had my nerves on edge.

You can have that fugging job. My back hurts :lol: Thank the gods they were only horse chestnut. CA Buckeye
Ill cash the check tomorrow when i bill them for some felling and clearing on the driveway.
Yeah, a big 70hp remote control grinder is the way to go. And they go deep too. I just wish they could be rented.

Im sure im not gonna tell you anything you aren't aware of, but recent I've also had to learn about pain relief and can no longer utilize my usual Jameson and beer. It's finally legal recreationally in Illinois, which means less than nothing for certain jobs, but some high thc indica will not take the pain away, but make it where you don't care and can sleep. Better than pain pills (narcotics) until you absolutely need them. Once again with you being in the med field, this is nothing new.
You May find better pain relief with a lower thc and high cbd indica strain ... The low thc will not impair your function to any great degree whilst the high cbd will kill the pain - never going to be as strong as opioids and morphine though

The alternative is oxy, so if I'm high as a busload of hippies i don't care :lol: I'm about out so I'll have to check that out, thx man.

Bummer Stephen. Maybe you're getting all your Mondays done at once, and you won't have any more for the rest of the year. Be nice if you could plan for that. I'd just take that week off :^D

Oh we argue a lot, but there’s only ever one winner.

I’m a poor teacher, impatient, shouty etc.

He’s a good lad though.
Like I was, he needs to learn stuff by doing it, then it’ll stick
He’ll be ok, it’s not rocket science.

I had forgotten that there is a world of difference between flying around a tree on a rope from branch to branch (easier for a newbie) and roped round a big spar on a lanyard leaning back into space (very comfortable for the old hands like us but hard for thé youngsters to get used to) they get scared and start making poor decisions.

I’m confident he’ll make a decent climber.

Last edited:
@stikine
You've been asking a bit about what logging in Denmark is like, so I found this video, one of my guys made a few years ago.
What we log is 90% mature Beech, like in the video.

Was he trying to reduce the roll of the tree caused by hitting the other tree by using that chunk of wood in the face?

Back