How'd it go today?

The work on the shute look good from the outside. Whats it like inside?

A few of the guys in the UK had similar problems and had them welded up. The slightest uneven surface on the inside would catch some material... Once one bit is caught the build up takes seconds and the chipper is blocked. Especially on wet days.

Some days we would clear the blockage 4 or 5 times. Most guys just bought a new discharge shute.

I have only had my chipper chute block once...and I was all WTF. I didn't know it could even happen. I started seeing blowback on the feed tray which was my first unrecognized clue...and it progressed from there. Royal pain to unstop it that day.

I have only had my chipper chute block once...and I was all WTF. I didn't know it could even happen. I started seeing blowback on the feed tray which was my first unrecognized clue...and it progressed from there. Royal pain to unstop it that day.
That happened to me once. It was a bc1400xl. We were cleaning up a junk pile in a ditch, mainly dead little evergreen ornamental trees probably 6-10ft tall or something. At some point it was getting hard to feed more trees in, but we just kept stuffing them since that chipper would often not feed well anyway. Finally the boss came over and said it was blocked. I felt stupid for not having realized the chips stopped flying out. I didn't know they could plug up like that.

Don't keep feeding something that isn't pooping!

Birch is a trouble, only if I don't adjust my engine speed up enough, and get greedy.

My old boss, way back when had enough wear on his BC1000 that there was a lip of metal somewhere that was slowing down discharge, and he wasn't able to fill the truck.

Depending on the truck used and position on a hill, it often was standard procedure to unhitch the chipper and jack it up, so it would fill the box to the top.

How old do you figure those doug firs are? Just trying to get an idea of how they grow over there...looks like a productive site.

I managed to dig up a map of the forest, showing when the different areas were planted.
Those Firs were from 1940.

Mick's guess would most likely be right for France, it is quite a bit colder here, things grow slower.

I managed to dig up a map of the forest, showing when the different areas were planted.
Those Firs were from 1940.

Mick's guess would most likely be right for France, it is quite a bit colder here, things grow slower.
@stig Interesting to think of those firs getting planted during wartime.

Last edited:
On my little chipper, the exit flap at the chute's end is hold by two bolts sticking out inside. They are flat and rounded, but once in a while, a little twig with just the right size founds them and stops there. All the followers jam on it and the chute is filled like in one second. If we don't notice the "non pooping" state, the next step is saw dust blowed backward under the feed roller. That barely bothers some groundies, keeping feeding it. Once, they even went to stall the engine, the shredding chamber completely blocked by the chips. Guess what they told me ?
"We have a problem, the starter doesn't want to start the engine anymore".

Y'all need a remedial troubleshooting class. Big noisy thing that eats and spews wood quit spewing wood, Soon after quit eating. What do?!?! :^D

Highlight of the day happened this morning with my tree. Boring, uneventful day otherwise. I did get a snus shipment, but that was mostly a paranoia order. I have years of tobacco squirreled away, so not so exciting.

The lads have it clog up every so often. Ive done with it once in a hail storm. Most often its the live oak. The worst is thebuck and deer brush. Ceanothus. The absolute Worst thing for clogging. You can often outsmart the situation by putting in a little bit and then some wood behind it to help it through. Too much, and the stringy, fibery, nasty stuff just clogs it up.
Ill be up the tree and the belt is squealing. Im hollaring over the radio to shut it down. Guys are just standing there like processing a formula.
Like I said, you can out smart it. But you have to be able to practice situational awareness. A thing very rare like common sense these days.
Sort of like putting the oil cap on when you add a little. Its the little things.
Been a week since we added a little.
Any guesses what i found today just checking fluids?.

Back