How'd it go today?

Removed three box elders that had out lived there usefulness and cleaned up after the last tree company that worked there. I just can’t understand why people pay in full before a job is complete. These people waited almost 3 years before giving up hope that they would return.
Spending today doing odd jobs around the house. Most importantly we’re bringing firewood up and getting my little wood shed filled. The air is getting a bit chilly at night so that time is approaching fast. Almost time to start splitting and stacking for next winter. I’m hoping to find an eastonmade 22-28 for sale. If I would happen to order a new one it 7 months out. I can still use the TW-6 but it’s kind of a hassle since it resides 40 minutes away most of the year. I’ll most likely use it since I’m sure my wife wouldn’t be happy if I spent 12k on a log splitter right now.
Back to the never ending, forever growing honey-do list.

Her birthday is two days before mine. Got my little woodshed filled. Kids all helped. Once again it would go faster if I did it alone but it’s the thought that counts
35B43A67-E54E-4B9F-8A82-E74D2F17C88A.jpeg
also found a surprise along my creek bank
EE65CC3E-8D9C-4576-8B02-0A437CF229B0.jpeg
Apparently my failed attempt at growing seedless watermelon last year wasn’t a complete failure. They only made golf ball to tennis ball size last year and I dump the garden clean out over the bank.Noticed a ton of tomatoes as well. My question is if they’re seedless how did they regrow this year?

"Seedless" is probably a misnomer. "Reduced seeds" would be more accurate.

Lit my first fire this year. Been sitting here with the door open, and was a little chilly. Kinda wasteful I guess, but not much different than fire pit. Getting rid of the uglies first, and I might grab some of the remaining spruce I have. I love having a fire.

No fire yet but I know what you mean about feeling almost wasteful. Of course in January I’ve been known to crack a window while keeping my garage at 70*

Fresh air ... it's good.

Been burning steadily at GFs. Cold and clear.
In the 30s.
Putting a heat light in my well room in a few.

Levi went over and split and stacked the black oak rob and I cleaned up my parents place, Saturday. Then i bucked up a trailer of mill slash, little more than 1/2 cord, and dropped it off yesterday and Levi split and stacked that today. Starting to get chilly at night and Dad cant move his one arm he broke yet. Might have to go back into surgery for nerve damage before PT.
PGE is probably cutting their power for wind events Possibly two days. This will get them started all ill drop more in a week or two.

Apparently my failed attempt at growing seedless watermelon last year wasn’t a complete failure. They only made golf ball to tennis ball size last year and I dump the garden clean out over the bank.Noticed a ton of tomatoes as well. My question is if they’re seedless how did they regrow this year?

Immaculate conception.

You could have the start of a new religion on your hands.

Once you get the hang of it, steep can be easier on you...not so much bending over. Used to do a lot of gambrel roofs on barns...all ladders & jacks. Carrying shingles up was the worst part, especially if they were t-locks.
I did my share of T-locks. They sure were a pia. Used to be a good shingle when 3in ones were blowing off they hung tight.

Got home from work early, did some paperwork, and decided to tackle my apple removal. I'm calling it a failure. I didn't like the way the wood looked when I got up there. It was full of longitudinal cracks, and I didn't like the way the whole thing moved while I was in the tree. This is what I started with...

20201026_133323.jpg

I climbed as high as the base of the thickest vertical sprout, and cut everything from there. This is what I finished with(Blurtastic. I'll blame the sweat on my glasses)...

20201026_140915.jpg

My list of failures...

Put limbs into the back neighbor's property
Whacked my walnut on my side, but no real damage
Broke a small top on a locust sapling
Made a horrific felling cut. Literally Bob Villa bad

Y'all aren't getting a stump pic. I erased the evidence as quick as possible.

A question... My terrible fell was caused by the bar being out of level on the backcut. Like way below the face shelf on the other side. I bored in to make another backcut, but I don't think that was the right thing to do. How would I recover from that? I guess the number one solution is "Don't do that!". What's the next best solution?

The tree's down with no real damage to anything, so the main task was accomplished, but I'm not pleased with how I got there. I did get to run my 362, which hasn't been run in a year. That was a pleasure. Full chisel chain, and it just ate through the wood. Forgot how much I like that saw.

I have a huge mess up there I'll have to clean up, but I'm gonna wait til it's cooler. Save some fun for later. I'm thinking I'll mill the stem. Not sure what I'll do with apple, but I've got it.

Slammed my removal today and even got into part of tomorrow. The lads did get the Brain Dead Monday Bug first thing, but between pre-rigging a couple of challenges from the ground, natural crotching and a high rigging ring (small) on a loopie mixed up with the HOBBS the stuff hit the ground hard and fast. Once I inspected the top of the tree better, I could take larger pieces. Backed the chipper right up to the gate we had to work through so maybe a 20 foot drag worst case. Then shot my SRT line in the adjacent tree with a hollow branch that needed removing. Used the high rigging point on the other tree to swing the picks up the hill off a bank. Then four logs rigged down and one load of logs and chips gone in 5 hours. So tomorrow, I'll move a drop and walk after we finish removing material off the first job. Sweet.

A question... My terrible fell was caused by the bar being out of level on the backcut. Like way below the face shelf on the other side. I bored in to make another backcut, but I don't think that was the right thing to do. How would I recover from that? I guess the number one solution is "Don't do that!". What's the next best solution?
I'll answer my own question. I think the thing to would have been stuffing the kerf with wedges, and starting the whole thing over. That should work fine on a little tree like that, but I'm not sure about something with some size... :^/

Unless you got all the way near to hinge depth before you realized you'd screwed the pooch you probably wouldn't need to mess with the wedges to hold it; just pull out and start over lower on your side to match the far side for a finish that's level.

If you did get to that depth before you realized your error...learn to look at what's going on earlier in the back cut. Basic tree falling 101.

Frankly, on a little tree like that, you could do whatever the 'eff you want...nothing really bad could happen :)...mostly :/:.

:D

Made a horrific felling cut. Literally Bob Villa bad
It's not bob villa bad unless you take pride in the job well done and teach it to others.

I'm rusty enough on felling trees that I often butcher the cuts, but I know where to set the limits and keep carving away until it becomes a text book felling cut according to functionality and not looks.

Wedges supporting the wood between kerfs makes sense.

Fwiw, reference marks for your cuts helps you hone your cutting when new.

Start a kerf, stop and look, decide to continue, or try again.

Solo working for a regular.

Today, I took down 4 straight felling from the ground, tight lays, but nothing too substantial to avoid...a property line and a fence... One whizzy. IMG_20201026_134912192_HDR.jpg IMG_20201026_134928443_HDR.jpg IMG_20201026_164904695.jpg IMG_20201026_164917485.jpg IMG_20201026_164934239.jpg

One climber Doug-fir, penned in a cluster a bit, over a fence and storage shed.
Burn pile for brush (homeowner's burning later) and log chunks moved to the wood shed area.

Waiting on my echo air filter and cover, which I knocked off and lost lay week. 193t was heavy by comparison.

Pretty straightforward.

Her birthday is two days before mine. Got my little woodshed filled. Kids all helped. Once again it would go faster if I did it alone but it’s the thought that counts
View attachment 104481
also found a surprise along my creek bank
View attachment 104482
FB_IMG_1603808986249.jpg

Back