How'd it go today?

You are a better person than most of us, here.
Good on you ( as our southern members would say).

Routine day. Boss wanted a cedar removed that's growing up next to the barn. I removed a secondary leader that was growing up the barn side, but I'm gonna try to talk him into keeping the rest. The barn looks like shit, and the tree is visually interesting. I'm thinking a topping with some heavy pruning, it'll be a nice addition.

Mentioned in another thread getting my ass kicked, going to bed earlyish, and waking up at 3am. That's what happened today. I didn't exactly get my ass kicked yesterday, but I got a bit of a workout. Woke up wired, and I've pretty much been up since. Took a half hour nap at work, and I'm feeling good now, but it'll probably hit me later.

Picked a truck up from getting the annual inspections this morning and taking another down tomorrow afternoon. Then took an hour drive to look at a tree for a municipal contract. Couldn’t figure out why they condemned it but they are insisting it’s removal. Cottonweed with a vine covered trunk 2 feet from the primaries. I called the city and told them I needed a power kill. They said not an option. I told them the power company needs to do a “make safe”. They said it needs done next week. I then told them what they could do with their contract because the only safe way to do it is a power kill. Told them that the whole line of trees is within MAD and the power company is at fault for ever allowing this bullshit to happen. I could do this tree without the power kill but f-that and them. Why should I? So a few residents lose power for 4 hours? Or I can knock the power out on my first cut and say I told you so. Gotta meet with the pencil pushers tomorrow from there tomorrow. This only became a contract tree after every other company turned it down. Apparently I’m the only guy to ask for a power kill. Everyone else just said no

How do you like the lil echo ?
I know you are not talking to me but my Nutball modded one is BADASS. I can not say enough good things about the saw.

Well it happened today I got the "what the hell stinks?" says my wife. I said me. I was kind of shocked it took her this long to notice. We have been cutting cotton wood for the past two days and have two more to go, big'ins 36" plus DBH and every bit of 90' over an industrial building and a trailer park. I found it comforting that the trailers in this park are secured to the ground with steel cables. Maybe to ward off any would be tornados that just happen to be casing the property.

Picked a truck up from getting the annual inspections this morning and taking another down tomorrow afternoon. Then took an hour drive to look at a tree for a municipal contract. Couldn’t figure out why they condemned it but they are insisting it’s removal. Cottonweed with a vine covered trunk 2 feet from the primaries. I called the city and told them I needed a power kill. They said not an option. I told them the power company needs to do a “make safe”. They said it needs done next week. I then told them what they could do with their contract because the only safe way to do it is a power kill. Told them that the whole line of trees is within MAD and the power company is at fault for ever allowing this bullshit to happen. I could do this tree without the power kill but f-that and them. Why should I? So a few residents lose power for 4 hours? Or I can knock the power out on my first cut and say I told you so. Gotta meet with the pencil pushers tomorrow from there tomorrow. This only became a contract tree after every other company turned it down. Apparently I’m the only guy to ask for a power kill. Everyone else just said no
Just dump it on the wires and walk away LOL.

Rich... Just invite the folks that are making the no decision on the power kill... invite them up into the bucket with you when you start taking the tree down. See if they like them apples.

No bucket access. Spiderlift would be nice. Crane as well but the whole stem is within MAD. I’m taking the crane op up later this week but I’m almost certain he will agree.

Way back in about 1997 when I worked for Davey (res and comm, not line clearance) I was assigned a removal that grew up around a power pole and had wires running in 3 directions through it. Supervisor said they were cutting the power and I had 2 hours to get it below the wires (with only one ground man). Every limb had to be roped as I had obstacles everywhere and spread over 3 back yards. When I got it down to just above the top of the pole I looked over and the lights were on in the customer's house. I was about 6" away from the live wires and freaked the frig out. Called my supervisor and found out that the power company turned the power back on because a neighbor complained.

That was the first and last job I ever did for them requiring a power shutoff. friggin' lying bastards almost got me killed many times. They threw me out there like dog meat and never gave a frig about my safety. It's amazing the jobs you remember when looking back over a 35 year career, always the ones where you almost died.

Way back in about 1997 when I worked for Davey (res and comm, not line clearance) I was assigned a removal that grew up around a power pole and had wires running in 3 directions through it. Supervisor said they were cutting the power and I had 2 hours to get it below the wires (with only one ground man). Every limb had to be roped as I had obstacles everywhere and spread over 3 back yards. When I got it down to just above the top of the pole I looked over and the lights were on in the customer's house. I was about 6" away from the live wires and freaked the frig out. Called my supervisor and found out that the power company turned the power back on because a neighbor complained.

That was the first and last job I ever did for them requiring a power shutoff. friggin' lying bastards almost got me killed many times. They threw me out there like dog meat and never gave a frig about my safety. It's amazing the jobs you remember when looking back over a 35 year career, always the ones where you almost died.

I would be crazy if that happened, trying to find the irresponsible person who authorised to turn back on.

I doubt you would find the right person but someone would be getting more than a mouthful of verbal.

Back