How'd it go today?

They have a house axe handle. I have one now, though it's still unmounted since my current handle is good, but I looked for something like that for yeeeears. I had the idea of getting one bespoke made for me, but never got to it. Finally found one at the Amish hardware store. I only learned it was called a house axe tonight looking in that catalog. I'll try to remember to look at the sticker, and see if it's the same company.

The thing I liked about Unforgiven is twofold- a) it's just a great western b) it's has a very real world feel to it regarding the true meaning and costs of violence and it kind of puts an awesome wrap on Clint's film career in westerns.

Clint once again plays the ultimate bad ass as he has in so many other westerns, mowing down folks who "had it coming", but at the same time the far reaching costs of violence are shown, such as when Ned is killed for what Clint and the kid did, and when the kid who was so in love with the idea of killing someone and thus becoming a man, finally kills a guy, he is thoroughly rocked by what he did and wants absolutely no more of it ever again.

So for Clint's William Munney to be examining the repercussions of violence in this movie, as opposed to the more typical Clint style of dispatching bad guys simply one after another after another, is kinda cool, it's like they are saying that Clint's character overall in his westerns has evolved and matured over the many years and movies to this character which is the most realistic and real world of them all.

Pale Rider is a smokin film too.

Last edited:
Not getting much accomplished so far. Called the surgeon I was referred to and they refuse to give me any idea of what it will cost even to go in for a consult. They act like no one has ever had anything done there before?
Still don't know how much my bill from the original doc (dermatologist) is.
If I acted like these guys I'd have never had got a job in any of my businesses.
I am so disgusted with these medical people right now and their underhanded way of hiding costs until it's too late.

Yea, that stuff's really frustrating Fiddler. It's my biggest irritation with the medical system, and one of the reasons I like the idea of single payer. Go in, and get it done without games or other nonsense.

Rain today, so I stayed home. Made V0.5 of an overstrike protector for my new axe. It's cargo strapping, a wool blend sock, and some paracord. Execution isn't right on. I went in without much of a plan, and changed midstride. That's how I do most things. Never measure, figure out what was done wrong, and improve the next time, or not. Sometimes it works straight off, and I saved a bunch of hassle. Too much planning is a time sink, and extenuating circumstances always come up to ruin your carefully laid plans. I just avoid it altogether.

Anyway, it's functional, so I'll use it, note the deficiencies, and if necessary, make the next one better...

IMG_20201029_101613.jpg

edit:
BTW, does anyone know a good knot you'd use like a square knot, but more secure? Something to join the two loose ends after tensioning the line, and have it hold fast. Preferably with the ability to untie at some point and retension or whatever.

Not in this particular case, but I think I've tried all the square-alikes with mixed success. Slippery line like paracord makes it a little trickier, and it tends to work loose.

Not getting much accomplished so far. Called the surgeon I was referred to and they refuse to give me any idea of what it will cost even to go in for a consult. They act like no one has ever had anything done there before?
Still don't know how much my bill from the original doc (dermatologist) is.
If I acted like these guys I'd have never had got a job in any of my businesses.
I am so disgusted with these medical people right now and their underhanded way of hiding costs until it's too late.
Not trying to be political in the wrong thread, but I thought I heard the president is working on making hospitals and such display the cost of their services. Long overdue. Yes people put a high value on life, but to actually charge people that does not fit the service of hospital/hospitality.

The curved handles have better ergonomics for chopping purposes. That's what all the competition axe choppers primarily use. Straight handles are superior for driving wedges using the poll side of the axe.
Yes, yes and yes!

A great way to make that handle last forever is to get some 3-5 millimeter Dyneema.
Put some Polyurethane glue on the handle, wrap it tightly with the Dyneema, then coat it in more glue.

Unbreakable.

Unless, that is, if you forget where you put it an P1070922.JPG P1070923.JPG d tell the apprentice to drop a major Beech tree right there.

Where ya gonna put it?

edit:
I'd be pretty unhappy in there with 7 other people. 6'-3.5" high is ~2" too short.

Wonder if you could bury it if you had a spot that won’t stay wet... just thinking out loud really, but I reckon it’d be a safe spot to wait out a storm. Away from a structure that might leave debris blocking the door after.

Back