How'd it go today?

8 people in a 4'x6' space? That's coyote paid in blood human smuggling dimensions.
I’m not sure where they come up with their “capacities”. Ideally, you’d only be there for a little while as the storm hit. Not there to spend the night.

Catching up....
Re:joining two slippery lines...overlapping double fishermen's knots, bit bulky but will not come undone and they can be untied.

Double fisherman's good, but I need something to cinch up the ends of line tight. Like tying shoelaces, but you want to cut the the circulation off to your feet, and you don't want it to come undone.

Not in this case, but I've had it work loose. It's great for holding tension while you finish the knot, but I haven't had great luck with it staying long term. I'm gonna see how what I have works out. The reason the back looks sloppy is I worked the cord between the wraps, and I'm hoping the knots on the ends hold it in place, and maintain tension so the knot doesn't undo.

We'll see. I'm not super happy with what I have anyway. I needed to allow more space between the hole and the edge, and use fewer holes. I made holes, and then skipped them cause they were too close, and it threw my spacing off. I also want to get a hammered hole punch. My leather punch isn't stout enough to make a hole in the strapping without potentially damaging the tool. I made the holes with the awl in my knife, which left it rough, and made it tedious to work the cord through.

S
I’m not sure where they come up with their “capacities”. Ideally, you’d only be there for a little while as the storm hit. Not there to spend the night.
Scott, are you in hurricane country?

I would have thought not.

Didn't do much real work today, but I got to play with my new axe; very happy with it. Spent 1.5hr breaking poplar, and pulled out the maul/wedges for some bigger pieces. I still have two sections that I didn't cut quite far enough, and a few more branches to break down, but I'll get that another day.

IMG_20201030_143239.jpg

We’re far enough from the coast that hurricanes aren’t a big issue in and of themselves. They just tend to stir up more weather that often spawns tornados.

The day got better! Just got a package from @Jonny. He said he'd send me a chestie he made to help tend the RopeWrench. He went waaay beyond that. Two chesties, a fantastic sling he made, a tourniquet, some bungie cord(for the chesties I presume), and a couple of cooling... things... One's a chemical bandanna that has stuff inside that traps water and keeps you cool, and the other is a Klein toobie. Oh, and for padding he used semidisposable shop towels. Even the packaging's useful!

Thank you very much Jonny! It's like Christmas! :^)

IMG_20201030_173111.jpg

That's what I figured you had in mind. The small fits really well with just a shirt, but it definitely wouldn't fit over a jacket. I didn't try the other with a jacket on, but it seems like it'll be about right :^)

Back