How'd it go today?

Got back in the air today after Monday's mishap. Two dead birches, one similar to the one I slid out of, the other a half punky, 70 ft. twin stemmer. Climbed up halfway in each and topped, then chunked down the stems to manageable drops (condo work again, small drop zone). Went a little slower than usual, but all went well.

I got the first of two Partner P-100's chainsaws running today after a couple of years of chasing down parts .Runs fine but I need to rebuild the carb .As luck would have it I already have a rebuild kit as I normally buy them 4-5 at a time .
It seems to have plenty of power but with a "fresh" engine it needs to be ran in the get to it's best .
In other news just typical lock down mode .Tend the garden ,mow the yard ,drink beer and annoy people on Face Book .

Got some heavy wind and rain last night, and the locust I've been working on got a bit thrashed. Jeep took another hit, but I didn't see anything terrible in my quick look. I'll have to do some cleanup when I get home today, and checkout the rest of the property.

Nothing! That was the best vehicle I ever owned. It's a 97 I bought used in 2000 with ~67k on the odometer. It was parked in 2014 with 200k on the odo(if I remember right), and it never cost me any real money. Biggest repair I ever had was the fuel pump.

To get it really road worthy, I'd guesstimate it would take $3k for a shop to do the work. A good bit less to do it myself. It's too old at this point to fool with though. Fix all the stuff that needs fixing, and you're just about due for a catastrophic failure. Or it could go another 100k+ Hard to say, but there's no point in tempting the fates by getting greedy. AFAIC, it served me well, and owes me nothing. Someone left a note on it last year with an interest in buying it. I made a quick look for the title, didn't find it, and forgot about the whole thing. I really should do something with it. It would make a nice beater offroader for a hobbyist. It's too dented up for a "nice" road vehicle.

I'm driving a '98 Wrangler ( 6cyl/manual trans ) I previously owned this weekend. "wife" (for another week) borrowed my pickup to move some of her smaller stuff to her "new' house she's renting.

I've been considering trading my truck for it. Future repairs would be far less costly. I only average about 20-30 mi per week unless I go on a trip somewhere, which I haven't done in a few years now. I'm about 50/50 on the decision... :|:

Last edited:
That straight 6 was a fantastic motor. I guess they don't use it anymore. I like the inline and horizontally opposed styles. They seem to be more robust, and favor low end power over top end speed, which is where I'm most interested.

More damage to the locust than I noticed this morning. Got home, and broke the stuff down in the drive. Thought I might get to use the grapnel. There was a big branch in my cedars I didn't notice this morning. I was /just/ able to grab it standing on the tailgate. Too hot/wet to drag brush around back, but I took one drag around to inspect for damage, and I wanted to maximize the trip. There was another big ass limb on the other side of the cedars, and I took it apart. I'll get it all sorted whe it's drier out. Didn't notice any other damage on the property. Here's the tree...

IMG_20200731_162846.jpg

Not much left. Pretty much top it, and work my way down. Another couple months it might not even be there, and I won't have anything to do :^D

Good start to the day. Got a bag of food, headed to the back door to feed Spot and Blackie, and "HOLY SHIT WTF'S THAT?!?!". "That" turn out to be an eastern Hercules beetle(female) on it's back inside the house, with the cat poking it. I flipped it outside. I have no idea where it came from. Never seen one before, and I think it's the largest bug I've ever seen in person. *Impressive* size. I'm not liking this recent trend of enormous creepy crawlies coming into the house when it gets warm. Can't wait til winter gets here...

Reactions: Raj
Saying a prayer that the hydraulic oil cooler on the mini isn’t cracked again. I had it welded last year. Prolly gonna replace it if it is this time. I need to remove some panels to see for sure but all signs are saying a PITA is coming. Anyone have any place to get these besides through Vermeer?

Oh they will. Problem is it’s also half the radiator. Fairly large and mini skids don’t have a lot of room to spare. If I can’t protect it, it’ll be destroyed in a day

Got my small bucket truck back from the shop in Bradenton Thursday afternoon. We drove down after work and got back about 8pm. Cost me $2100 to replace a $120 hose. It was the main supply line feeding the valve body at the upper controls. The fitting came off the line inside the boom, a manufacturing defect. But it's 11 years old so no recourse.

But I'm glad to have the truck back. It's been down for over a month. Have a week's worth of work waiting for it so we have a full schedule this week. Tomorrow I will inspect the saws on the truck and get them ready. Also need to touch up the chipper knives.

Nope. When I'm done with them, they're done. The crotch is ripped out, and it had other misc holes. I used the other leg to make a bag for a 1qt plastic nalgene fuel bottle. I keep it in the back of the truck, and wanted to keep sun off the plastic. About all that's left is buttons, and some material. I've been contemplating covering the dash in the truck with a lighter colored material to reduce heat. Camo would be cool, but it may increase glare. I might just lay it out on the dash without attaching, and see how it looks/performs. Not sure I even have enough of the desert. I have a couple universal camos hitting end of life I could use though.

It was yesterday, but got back up that skinny POS I slid out of on Monday and slayed it; then did the 75+' beech next to it, and finished toppling an old hollow tulip stick. Got to bill everything out and somewhat relax this weekend.

From the ground; threw a rope around the top of it (~40ft. up). Tree was about 38" DBH and more than 2/3 hollowed out. Pulled it w/the Maasdam, as the face cut/hinge were a little dicey.

Very cool!
There’s TONS of excellent vids from Schultz, he’s a rockstar of a climber for sure, and has a set of videos I’ve been meaning to buy. I hear “ The Shultz Effect” series is wonderful for those that are still struggling a bit in the transition from DdRT to SRT work.

That was tricky AF, for sure. Would it be simpler to just install a second climbing rope in the target tree rather than doing the tyrollean traverse with only one climbing rope?

Back