How'd it go today?

I keep telling you guys, TOWELS, is the answer. Give the neighbor(s) a cheap hand towel with your logo on it and your number, before starting a job. They will be thinking that you are so nice!

Aha ,the tell tail sign that spring is just around the corner came hopping through my yard 2 minutes ago .Male robin out worming .The ground hog thing is just fable .The robin is the real thing .

The males blow in about 2-3 weeks ahead of the females .That puts it about 1st of April which is about right .

The big woodpeckers should be here shortly .Red breasted , northern flicker etc .Every so often a few Woody Woodpecker types ,the northern pilated show up and sound like 90 pound jack hammers . I don't have clue where go in winter time .Maybe down to the Florida Keys to eat giekos off of palm trees for all I know .

Drove up to Kansas City yesterday for the Big XII Women's Basketball Tournament. Waved at Andy as I went through Wichita but once again, he wouldn't wave back. The girls won so now we play again Friday. Dropped everyone off at the hotel last night and told them I was going to Chubby's for dinner. 14 of them decided to go with me. Dinner with cheerleaders is always fun.

Red wing black birds are interesting .They orginally were kind of a swampish type bird that lived on the edge of marshes .This area was once a huge swampish type area that has been drained for 150 years but the birds still come back and nest in areas around creeks,rivers or low lying areas as they have since the beginnng of time most likely .

I have no idea what they forage on but like all birds they will not raise young until the food supply is such to feed the young as they hatch out .

The damned big geese will eat anything ,about like a flying cow with the amount of vegitation .Lawdy 2 pounds in and 4 pounds out the other end . The old phrase "loose as goose " has a lot of truth to it .

Robins were back here a few weeks ago, I saw a hummingbird up close and personal a couple days ago, little bugger came to a feeder and eyeballed me from about 4 feet away, level with my noggin, I kept still, he fed on the red goop in the glass jar then boogied on to the next thing, was a real Lorne Green moment. LOL. Otherwise for today, I am done my toast, tea and banana, two of the three S's taken care of and about to get dressed and face the world.

Those humming birds are a hoot .They buzz around my wife evidently because she smells good .Myself on the other hand must reek like goat pizz because they keep their distance .:lol:

I got a good half day in this afternoon after the rain quit so I'm still on schedule. On the way home some dumbfuck in a Mercury decided to play chicken in a merge lane and eased over right into the spinning lugs on my front wheel. :lol: He was adamant that it was my fault, I told him if he insisted on calling the cops then he was going to get the ticket. Forty five minutes later the cop handed me back my license and registration and told me to have a nice day before writing the dumbfuck a ticket.

But besides that I had a great day. I took down probably the biggest, fattest pine tree I've ever cut here in Florida. It was only about 80' tall but I had to cut the notch from both sides with the 42" bar on my 395. It was directly across the street from the mayor's house in Lake Mary. It didn't look that big on Google street view. You can go to
289 West Lakeview Avenue, Lake Mary, FL on Google maps, hit street view and you will be looking directly at it. Pine borers killed it. That one took an hour and 45 minutes. Did 3 other oak removals for a total of 4 hours on the clock.

Saw a Robin last week in Minot. Must be confused. We have Pileated woodpeckers up here pretty much year round, rare in winter, but occasionally. they claim the Turtle Mountains north of town have one of the larger nesting colonies of hummingbirds in the country. Couldn't prove it by me, although you do seem to see quite a few in the late summer.

I bought some new tires for my truck a month or so back and asked to have an alignment done. They told me they couldn't do the alignment because my ball joints were very bad but that they would replace them for $1100. I declined and said I'd do it myself. I finally got around to jacking up the truck and checking them last week and could find no slop at all. Kinda of irritated I set up an alignment at another shop today, when I asked the tech how the ball joints were he said they were tight. Drove straight back to the other shop to confront them and all they could say was "we wouldn't do that" :roll: I don't think google is going to be their friend

Just got back from a short "day-trip" over to Shawnee, Kansas. Took 11 of the kids to play WhirleyBall. Two teams of 5 play against each other. Everyone sits in an electric bumpercar. You hold a lacrosse kind of basket stick in one hand and drive with the other. Goals at each end of the court that are large round targets. 7-minute games. The team that hits the target with the ball the most, wins.

I have to say, it was a blast. Played for an hour.

Raced indoor electric go-carts after that. Suckers ran about 30 mph. Could drift around the hairpin corners if you never let off the gas.

Sounds like a good sized pine for down your way Brian. I have one out back that you can do if I don't do it first if you ever come visit... :D

Slash and burned part of a driveway today and kinda beat. Better terrain than I have been on of late though. That made for a decent day. Lady tipped us and scheduled more of the same one day next month :)

I scored a new employee today. I'm stoked, finally I've got another all round guy. He ran a crew for one of my competitors for four years, climber, cutter, real treeman. Finally I'll be able to share the workload. I think this is going to be a big step forward for my company.

You and me both, I think with two guys who can do it all and my equipment we're going to be quite a force to be reckoned with around here. Cert'd faller, danger tree assesor cert, pretty much all the certs around here except for the cert'd arb, he really seems to know his stuff. Hell he'll probably be teaching me things!

Back