How'd it go today?

Well I roofed today...and had a blast! After four days in a row of nailing shingles on old, splitting plank decking, I finally got to nail on plywood! Got to love the nail gun!!! Ten squares in ~5 hours, by myself, including toting shingles up, some felting, and chalking lines, which is time-consuming when working alone. Should finish up tomorrow.....It ain't tree work, but it pays the bills.

Trimmed a maple today that I have repeatedly told the customer to take down. Extensive decay in the trunk, already lost 2 major leads. Did a huge crown reduction and left feeling like I should get it in writing that I told them to take it down. Their rational is they are going to be selling the house soon, I told them I dont know how much time this will buy them......

Slayed PO all day. Thinned out a grouping of live oak that was filled with PO all the way to the top of the canopy. Entrance to the place looks a lot nicer for it with the new gate they just had installed. They have a house and family up in Oregon. I have mentioned a few times I know some guys up that way that do good work if they ever need anything ;)
Throat either hurts from the PO smoke from burning it or I am getting what Katy and the kids have.
Mistletoe job tomorrow mixed with brushing.... :D

Did pretty good last night, my pain level was way down until about 5am or so, it started hurting like a bitch again.
Went back in, all went well, but I'm afraid I just hosed it all up. I cut up and started spliting up the Oak I brought back. Bucking wasn't to bad, but the maul sure killed my ass! I only did a half a face cord, I think it was a half a face too much!
I'm on fire now!
Me thinks I'm going to have to build something to get through this winter's wood!

Spent a ggod part of the morning and afternoon dealing with Crop Insurance. Came to the house and the Grain handling Facility wants me to haul all my Durum tomorrow. Ha, can keep the wolf off the farm doorstep for a little while!

Just another day here. Two small BS jobs while the lift was on it's way home from Boston. Another new computer portion, $1500. Annual inspection, $1000. Couple misc things, he left $2800 lighter.

Went and looked at a job on the way home. Guy was walking around, a good few days worth of work. OK, I'll give you a day rate... "I was looking to spend $500-600.". Hmmm ya, we won't get past the corner of the backyard for that.

Got home cut a oil tank in half for a real mans fire pit. Good bye 50gallon barrel!

Then unloaded the truck of all my tools because tomorrow I'm going to NJ after work to pick up that tractor.

Good crane removal job around an eating establishment, some heavy Pines with bowed trunks and lean over a bamboo fence. Roped them off and opened up a big face and pulled them back, twist around as they get picked up. Added a little pruning work on the shrubbery to spice it up. The place's sign now has it's rickety self exposed more, so offered to go there again and strengthen it up for a little pay. Nice lady runs the old restaurant, brought out some very enjoyable teas during the day, biscuits and fruit, etc, and thanked everyone on the crew when we left. Jobs like that are what it's all about.

Mistletoe madness.....
Got to bomb shat on the shack as it is coming down :D
4 hours climb and still not all done. I have about an hour tomorrow. Loaded with the shat. DSC_0634.JPG

My sub was brushing up the hill with Rob and the HO helped groundie the tree. She got tired so eventually I had to call Rob off the hill to help clean up. Horses and cattle on property so we have to really clean up the mistletoe. Burned it all and came home.
Don't feel really well and neither does Rob. Kids are all sick and Katy still has a bad cough. Did not make for an easy day.
Our sub decided at 2.25 hours in he had enough and went home. I was WTF?
I was in the tree and said " See you tomorrow then? " I got a "yeah".
Turns out he told Rob no way he was coming back in. Easy fuggen brushing job too.
Calling him tonight and pretty much telling him off. :X
See if someone else wants some work.. :evil:

That's totally bogus. You walk off my jobsite leaving me hanging? Just keep on walking. You're better off without them.

I gots no time for losers, don't want no negativeness rubbing off on me.

I slayed a bunch more mostly dead birch today to finish up. 22 birch in 2 days down cleaned up and wood stacked neatly on site with two guys and a mini. Only one was a flopper. And it was a awesome flopper save it for last, blocked the street and layed out a 50'plus birch right in a subdivision. It was meant to be, the transmission line ended right in front of this house, leaving me a open front yard and street for the lay. My new guy, nicknamed the egyptian(cause he uses his head and his back), got a kick out of it.

Tree failure rootball and all, at a Master gardeners:O what a place but a pia as the tree 4ft above it all. Hangers down pruned a bunch of breaks from its falling and being still hung. balked with price and explained to move it time and tractor, he says got a skid steer havnt used in two years due to a flat He says trade it for tree removals here or cash 4 to 6 thousand. Spare reconditioned Motor and backhoe attatchment also.
Say to myself you bet!:D

Tree failure rootball and all, at a Master gardeners:O what a place but a pia as the tree 4ft above it all. Hangers down pruned a bunch of breaks from its falling and being still hung. balked with price and explained to move it time and tractor, he says got a skid steer havnt used in two years due to a flat He says trade it for tree removals here or cash 4 to 6 thousand. Spare reconditioned Motor and backhoe attatchment also.
Say to myself you bet!:D

Check that machine over well if you're considering taking him up on his offer. Nobody parks a machine for 2 years because of a flat tire, unless that was the final straw on top of the worn out hydraulic pump, leaky transmission and motor misfiring on one cylinder. I've heard the story thousands of times. ;)

We did 3 jobs for decent money, got a flat on the last job in the bucket, but also got 75 pounds of pears. going back saturday for more!

He went to get the new tire today and using it to move all the big wood in am so I'll get the first hand and make judgements then:D Everything he owns is imaculate and garage kept, ex marine. I just know my back will be thankful!

Brian NAILED this one! PAY someone that KNOWS them to look it over throughly! Don't do jack until they do! Most folks think of a skidsteer as a "savior" never having a clue the money pit they can become! A well maintained machine, is a god send. An abused machine will cost you more than a new equivalent! I used to work on them full time, still do for side work, a $2-3k bill for repairs is EASY to get on an abused machine!
Really, spend a couple hundred getting it looked over first! You may thank me later!
Sorry Stephan, I also agree, if I walk off, I don't expect to get paid, or called again. The last job I did that on was a weired exception to the rule, he insisted on paying me. I think he knew what I was worth, wasn't paying that, and couldn't have done it without me. I also didn't walk until the house was sealed up. I have some standards!
But I wouldn't waste my time with the sub again! He's done! Even with my back in the state it was, I stuck it out and finished the job, apologizing the whole time for being worthless, but I gave it all I had!

Willie, do you have one of these kits? Best plugs I've ever used, never had one fail. My old man was using these plugs in his service station back in the '70s. I keep a kit on the truck and have an air line tapped into the onboard air tank.

Back