How'd it go today?

I got a little scare today. I was topping a small pine in between two other pines. I had a nice hole to shoot the top through. At my topping cut the diameter was about 12 inches. I set a pull rope for the guys and cut my wedge in. Double checked everything and moved around to the backside, I chose to stay a little to the right side. Well as the top was going over it snagged a small limb on the large pine tree and pushed back at me. I managed to get my right spike out of the tree and roll towards the direction of fall and the butt just brushed off my thigh. Have a small bruise on top of my right thigh.

It hurt my pride more than anything. But my groundie was freaked out, He made a big deal out of it. I was a little gun shy on the next pine as it was in the same situation. The job got finished and I got to live.

Glad you're OK arborworks.
I did a couple of bids today and ran a bunch of errands. Still have to get some motor oil and bar oil and a can of WD-40 for tomorrow. I'm doing the shaped oak trees at the motel tomorrow. Want me to get another vid of the engine fan goin round and round?

I got a little scare today. I was topping a small pine in between two other pines. I had a nice hole to shoot the top through. At my topping cut the diameter was about 12 inches. I set a pull rope for the guys and cut my wedge in. Double checked everything and moved around to the backside, I chose to stay a little to the right side. Well as the top was going over it snagged a small limb on the large pine tree and pushed back at me. I managed to get my right spike out of the tree and roll towards the direction of fall and the butt just brushed off my thigh. Have a small bruise on top of my right thigh.

It hurt my pride more than anything. But my groundie was freaked out, He made a big deal out of it. I was a little gun shy on the next pine as it was in the same situation. The job got finished and I got to live.

I have been in a similar situation before. I ended up with the butt of the top in my lap. Not fun and not a mistake I intend to repeat. Using a humboldt notch seems to alleviate much of the danger.

Whenever possible, I always keep the trunk of the tree in between me and a big cut like that. I like having something to hide behind if I think there's a chance it might come back on me.

About a month ago I had the butt of a 9" red pine top land inside my lanyard after it took a weird turn...had a rope about 20' above to pull it with. It got hung up in another tree on the way down and saved me from a broken leg or worse. Trapped me pretty good for a while 'cause of the weight and tension on everything. Have to say I couldn't be prouder of how my guys reacted....asked if I was ok, and what I thought I needed, got it for me without delay or frenzy, and all got to sign their monthly aerial rescue sheet for something real for once. Glad I was tied into a different tree.

Happy for you that you came out OK aborworks.

Last edited:
Another good day at work. Had two removals done for two different companies by noon, then brushed out a dead oak for a buddy of mine and was done by 2. I just got out of the shower and my massage therapist just pulled up in the driveway. See ya in an hour.
;)

Had a good day today. Did nine quotes, one if they go for it will be a crane job. Pretty stoked. Eight of the quotes were all cottonwood trees, with one birch thrown in the mix. What are the odds of that? Pretty good when all the quotes are on lakefront(read million and up) property!:D8) My kind of customers.

Spent the day standing in mud cutting brush. doing rework on lines done last winter by someone else. Looks like we'll be there for a while, a ton of stuff got missed.

Started out good today... Got one job wrapped up in an hour and moved on to the next and took down about 1.5 acre in 2.5 hours. One of those jobs just in waiting no schedule for. Then went to do another one like it.. Friggen nasty growth of brush everywhere so we needed steel blades. Said no way Jose' for fire safety sake and went to the local dealer to update him on the loaner Echo we were testing. I might put some pics up and some sharing of explanations for people that might be considering a purchase...:dontknow: They were happy to get the info and they are now authorized to go ahead on the fix on our 280U if they release the new filters. SO basically came home early and got some shat done here on a nasty hot day :D And scheduled more work just for showing up at a job we could not currently do :D

Today was great! Started at 10 because it was raining this morning, so I got to sleep in an extra hour or two!!

We got our chipper truck back today, so we're back in business!! We loaded it up on our current job with a load of wood with the skid steer. Dad said no problems what so ever! I spent the day using the 460 to cut the wood to length. I loaded up the truck once, stacked the rest for our next day. After that we chipped all the brush from the 7 or so trees we felled yesterday. Going back Sunday to load up the rest of the wood, and then again Monday to grind some stumps.

Today was HOT. I cut down all my shade this mornng (Two large Chokecherries- and got to grind their stumps and 10 others n the bright sunshine this afternoon. Went to the bank...yesterday mornings job was "paid" with an unendorsed check:|:. Monday's client is MIA. C'est la vie.( yup thats life-screwed up by French spelling and other irregularities._

It was exceedingly hot today. My guys came in and worked off the clock today. We did two jobs in the morning, then we played around with Jerry's rope walker for Ddrt system, ate lunch in the shade of my ash tree and then we went and rafted the Payette river. The morning's jobs paid for the trip and by the time it got really hot today I was floating down the Payette in a life jacket with my daughter.

There were about six or seven boats in our flotilla and on the first rapid the one just in front of us rolled in the rapids. We paddled after them and rescued their daughter and most of their paddles. We then paddles to their boat where the guide was trying to get the very hefty family back in their raft. The dad must have been some kind of Pacific Islander and he was a stout fellow. I reached out to him and got a hold of him because he looked like he was getting very tired in the water. Sizing him up like a large piece of wood and realizing I could not quarter him before lifting, I bravely offered to our guide, "He looks pretty tired, lets paddle him to shore and then help get into his boat." Later when we got to the photo kiosk at the end of the trip we saw the series of photos that illustrated their flip over. The front of the raft augured into a trough, the back raised up and the dad who was in the back of the boat became a bowling ball and rolled through his family for a strike. It was a great series of photos.

I got it working and everyone was able to do it, even my newest guy who hasn't climbed yet. It was smooth. I think I messed up by buying the Basic ascender instead of a second Pantin. The Basic clips on top through both sides of the ascender, locking the rope in and adding a step when you take it off the line. My local hardware store had bungee cords with carabiners attached at either end and I got one to see if it work above th ascender. It did but is a little too long. I have to play with the set up some.

Good to know.. I just liked the price of the ascender as the price has gone up on the pantin.. I know it is like one extra step.. but should still be better than the other way I have been playing wit it. :P

Back