How'd it go today?

I can't imagine why anybody would fool with cottonwood for firewood .:?

Probably because the other options are pine and aspen. Beggars can't be chosers. We are lucky to have our diverse options amongst the temperate hardwoods.

My climber bailed on me midday. Thought he had food poison so his wife picked him up. I managed to beg off a bid and go finish

Dang, I just had one 'lil old pine to slay, 45 minutes. I didn't even have the chance to break a sweat. Crap, that means five miles on the treadmill instead of three.

Trimmed a Honey Locust off the parsonage this morning. Not a terrible job but I have a hard time getting motivated for freebies.

Killed a half dead oak this morning. He said "It's not that big" so I left my 395xp at home. Good thing the stump was hollow. :/:

Then at noon I went across town to kill 5 tall washingtonian palms. Used the material handler and delivered the logs straight into the chipper. They were all within 3' of the house so once I got the tops out, I was able to hook on and another guy cut them off from the roof. Then I hooked on again and he cut them at the ground.

He got $400 per to remove them. I was there about 2.5 hours (3 setups) with 2 people on the ground (Keith and his wife). He will pay the stump guy about $125 or so and he has a $100 or more dump fee to dump his truck. He paid me $250 so that leaves him about $1500 for a half day of work with his Brush Bandit 254xp and chip truck.

easy one today, started with spraying a couple small pear trees with BtK and my kelp concoction, then an hour weeding a different site (which also included replcaing a tiny weeping japanese maple) then off to finish severing a wisteria that had invaded a magnolia tree, hit the dump on the way home and since its been dry and warm the trimming have dessicated so much, it was a freebie! left the house at 0830, home by 1230, 5 billable hours in four clock ours :shifty:

oh, and I got a referral from a friend that does lawn maintenance, I will be doing a tree consult tomorrow around lunchtime for the coach/GM of our professional football team. :)

got the big old fir down,
62 inches accross, had to section it 3 pieces a 20 to 30 ft er, a 40 ft er and a 100 ft er
lots of rot, glad its down, paid a hired gun to do it, i didnt want to play in rotten tree in the wind with a tree that big
crew spent 11 hrs onsite to make up for the axe in the chipper

tommorow is the hollow tree against the house
36" dbh, conks the size of golf balls to soft balls on the trunk from 30 ft up
100 ft to the old topping cut, that has 30 ft tops regrowing off it
cabins on 3 sides of it,
can it get any worse?
decayed about 12 ft down, i can put my face in the hole on top, and my arm all the way down
theres no trees to rig off that will help
so we are using straps around a boulder in the river, to the truck and maadsman,
never had to rig off a rock before, but some of the crew put their heads together and figured it out
i'm pretty confident in their abilities, but , i'm gonna sweat for a bit while they fall it, from the roof of the house
its my $1000. deductable and a pack of smokes
gonna go sharpen up saws
maybe i shoild call GB to bring has video cam, but maybe i better not jinx the boys either
positive thoughts , good vibes and prayers are always apreciated

I was on site less than 2.5 hours. Heck, I just got the call last night. I don't want all the money, I want these guys to make money when they call me. I want it to be easy for them. I'd rather have him call me once a week for the next 3 years and pay me $75-$100 per hour than make $250 per hour on one job with no callbacks.

Friday!!! That means only 4 days left of school and then it's summer!!!!

So far today is great!! I spliced a 120' Ultra-Vee climbline today for a new customer. He works part time for a tree company and part time as the grounds manager for Ashland Estate, and he had everything expect a climbing line.

Tomorrow is the volunteer day at Ashland, so I'll had it over then. Should be a great, awesome climbing day, with 80 degree weather and low humidity!!

Day went great... 100 foot weed eat and brushing job...Got payed and came home to a check. One of my subs is available for two weeks. And man I need the help so it works out perfect. They finished the 1.5 acre rake job and are ready for more :) And now that I will have the truck back I can haul off the rakings and bill it out toot sweet.
Tranny on the Ford is done and I pick it up tomorrow morning. $1011.00 not bad :) Was expecting worse. Was also expecting a week before it was done...:|:
Two new engines in two brushers covered by warranty so they are like new for another year :D Just in time to bring in the extra help :)
Rob is going to get the billy goat ready to go too so we can field another body.
Kids got to go on a steam train with momma today and are all happy and excited. 8)

Friday. Late start, cause my unc stiill has a morning appointment at the hospital. A neighbor ruined my morning and screwed the whole day basically , by planting seeds of doubt, and being a all round SOB for one of the places I was working on. A medium sized cottonwood, a dead medium sized cottonwood, and a big ass limb off of a giant cottonwood was the work at the one cabin. The neighbouring cabin got put on hold until a confirmation from the owner can be received due to one ignorant ass neighbor. Told a guy off and walked away today, guy was so frigging ignorant he's lucky he didn't get a fist.:X

I've cooled off now though and it's all ok, better to walk then bring on trouble.

prepped a crane removal.....bagged another bee swarm....linked a second job with two small dead oak td's. Finally stopped raining round here, we are over 9 3/4" for the month of may:|:

went from 2 hives to seven in just two weeks:O bring on the honey

This moring I was following a dude, who had a whole bunch of hives on a trailer. He was probably doing 60kph on a side road and bees were getting left behind for sure, as some were bouncing off my windshield and I was way back. What's up with that NB?

he must have pollination contracts....a few bees out of 100's of thousands in no biggie. He musta had a leaky hive or forgot the entrance cover...more duct tape!!

Hey John, when you start harvesting that honey, I'll buy some off of you if there is surplus. :D

Andrew, I think there's a honey list somewhere in one of John's bee threads. I think my name should be on it. ;)

The guy I worked for this morning just stopped by to bring me cash for this morning's job. He gave me an extra $100 for the trip. Too nice of him, he's a really easy guy to work with. Definitely one of my 'preferred' contractors.

Back