How'd it go today?

Stumper, I also got a chain link fence. Saturday, we dropped 7 fir and a pine. Wanted 20-36 footers for the log buyers. Had no place to drop a 21 foot pine log from 21 feet up, so felled the 42 foot butt. Measured the drop zone, it looked close.....but it was a slight down slope, plus it was tight. So, I snubbed the butt, but had left bull ropes and chain at home. So I used an old 1/2 inch line. Forgot to allow for the tree jumping off the stump a bit (45 degree face meant it jumped)...Smacked the fence, and kept going a few feet as the dinky line broke. Neightbor's were watching it hit their fence and stop 12 feet from their house. Oops.

Met the log truck driver today. First off, a fitting broke which sprayed me with some fluid, and took 20 minutes to repair.
He was my regular driver's bro, way slow and pretty lousy with the controls(Kurt is elk hunting.)
While he was fiddling, I had enuf time to darn near finish fixing the fence (no repair parts needed!) He did mishandle a log, and it danged near trashed the fence again, and missed me by less than 10 feet, as it swung rather wildly!!

Dave called after pruning one wolfy fir. He was feeling lousy, and went home, but first found us a replacement helper! I led the truck driver to two more sites with logs from our other jobs, then met the crew, and helped Mickey finish two more firs he was pruning. Introduced myself to two neighbors, trying to hustle more work.) Went home, replaced some teeth on my little Alpine Magnum stumper, and went over and ground a small stump. Got paid, talked skiing with the client. (She and her hubby ski at my area, and also are into randonee backcountry ski touring.) Visited an old customer a block away...chatted...will prolly have a good 2/3 day of work when they are ready!

All is good..but I hear the pitter patter of rain already...

Dang it...we have a incredibly wide and technical elm to do some reduction pruning on tomorrow, and must have it dry....One side of the tree extends out what seems like a good 55 feet onto the neighbor's property and over their roof. I doubt the tree is even 60 feet tall....If it's wet, we may only prune the firs..and they're no fun in the rain either!!

Actually I find green Fremont Cottonwoods have pretty good hinge control(In the trunk wood-forget it with the limbs). Unfortunately this one was dead and an extreme head leaner. The lay was directly down the lean but I didn't succeed in getting a clean and smooth movement into the drop. Holding , holding....POW. It jumped and "drifted" sideways a few degrees.

Today isn't going so well. Could barely get my boots tied this morning and after doing one easy birch removal I can barely start a saw. My left arm is messed up, tennis elbow or something. I'm off to the doc this afternoon. This really is gonna screw up my scheduling as I'm rapidly running out of weather up here. Things can always be worse so I'm not getting down.

Finished up my job today, hauled out 5 loads of wood to a lady, then a man drove by and I sold him 1 more load of wood. 6 loads today by myself, lotta driven, but I'm very happy with the outcome. Have to bid trees for 2 neighbors now, woo hoo.

Got a wake to go to tonight, for a guy I used to work with( his dad was the owner). The story is he was climbing while his groundie was going to dump chips, he somehow cut his rope (or lanyard?) and fell 40+ feet and laid there for a half hour before anybody found him. He was kept alive on life support for the past month and a half, and he gave up on Monday.
I didn't know him very well, and haven't seen him in four years, but I work with his ex wife, and his mother was a real nice lady, so I will go express my sympathies to them.
RIP Stephen. :(

well im finally back to full speed doc says just go slow and if your chest starts to hurt take a break but if the pain doesnt go away in 20 min you better call either 911 or the morgue to reserve a spot

Work sucked today. Subbed for a guy who manages to drag out the simplest trees. Its gonna suck worse for him when he has to pay me a second day to move the logs. I really like a job to go smoothly and get wrapped up when its supposed to.

Let us know what the doc says.

Skipped the doc and went and did a few quotes. I hate going to the doctor so I'll see how my self re-hab goes I think for the next few days. I'm gonna nurse this arm back to strength so i can abuse it some more.:D

Day got better though when I stopped at the mailbox. Thanks Jerry!

Just watching the Vegas Barrett Jackson auction, the 2008 robby gordon Nascar racecar that he crashed in bristol and the team rebuilt it to race ready status went for..... only $74,000!!! wow.
Robby was on stage and at 67 thousand came to the mic and said he would make the car street legal with a title if the new owner would prefer that to the race ready condition.

I figured they would get at least a hundred grand. The funds go to charity FWIW

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/search/carlist.aspx

edit: Kurt Busch's #2 is up now, they threw a helmet, gloves and race suit in the trunk...all signed of course

wow, THIS fantastic mustang just went for 45 large! seems the money is down on collectable cars this auction.

whoops, stalled at 77 grand Kurt is throwing in a 5 star hotel, airfare in, full ride pass to daytona 500 2009!! she-ite! and she goes for 87 big ones.

I'm tired, I'm bored, my ass hurts, and I am tired of my wife finding things to do that are more important than being a mother!!
But other than that, been a really uneventfull da.

Back