How'd it go today?

If you were a mouse that didn't like peanut butter, what would your weakness be? Apparently I have at least one mouse with a nut allergy, because the traps are baited, and nobody is taking it.

We had a logger do a fairly big job close by a few years back. I went over and watched him work. Very much a pro. Laid out his roads so he didn't bark up trees and fell trees so they didn't damage others. He bore cut every tree. His father was killed by a barber chair. I told him he did the best job I had ever seen. One man crew. Had his own skidder and camped on site. Drove home to PA for the weekend. Worked for Sugar Tree or Bush or some such name outfit. Close to Pittsburgh I think.

If you were a mouse that didn't like peanut butter, what would your weakness be? Apparently I have at least one mouse with a nut allergy, because the traps are baited, and nobody is taking it.
Glue traps work pretty well, lots of them. In corners, along walls, ect. Might need a few at one point to cover a gap in a funnel point.

I had a jar of Nutella I forgot about, and the contents got hard and nasty. I was getting ready to throw it out and thought "I bet I can use this for something" and saved it. Made excellent mouse bait. You can stick it more firmly to the bait pan, and I don't have to use my good peanutbutter.

Did some work for a Korean couple. Early on in the job I asked them if they ever ate at Seoul which is a Korean restaurant in Edgewood (local town). They have eaten there and were surprised that I liked some Korean food. A few hours later they had me sit down to a delicious lunch. She made me bulgoki which is a sweet and spicy pork dish. She put it in sandwich form to somewhat Americanize it. It was very good. Very kind folk. Communication was a little difficult but we got the job done.

Attachments

• IMG_1074.jpeg
    IMG_1074.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1073.jpeg
    IMG_1073.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3
I just startled awake. I go to sleep listening to atmospheric/ambient/space music, and it can sometimes use slow uncommon effects. So, I wakeup and think "frig, that sounds creepy. I've never heard this track before" and I'm laying there listening... "That didn't come from my speakers!" O.O

Grab my glasses, look up(I have dim nightlight on) and there's a bat flying laps around the room, and occasionally landing on the curtains. Literally roll out of bed, duck, and go turn the ceiling fan off. While I'm sitting on the floor watching the bat fly, I close the door so it doesn't get out. Doing laps, doing laps, lands on a fan blade. Doesn't move. Grab a box frm a lamp I just bought, put it over the bat, close the flap, then take it outside. Even easier than the last one!(or is it the same bat friggin' with me?!).

Where the hell are these things coming from? Now I'm wired and typing dumb messages on forums. It'll be awhile before I get back to sleep. To top it off, I was having a weird dream about my ex when the bat woke me. Can't remember what that was about, but I was annoyed... :^S

Last edited:
I haven't had a real good look at the bats. They all kind of look alike to me, and I'm trying to get them outside, not study them. I suspect it's the little brown bat. Guide says they like hot dry attics, so that's a reasonable supposition. My brief look says the body's kind of dark cinnamon in color. Little brown bat...

Maryland bats(there's 10)...

Seems like every year I get tormented by a new animal. Ants are a given. I've also had European hornets, and Ol' Creepy the spider a couple years ago. It's almost always at bedtime too. Not so much the ants, but the hornets would batter themselves against the screen trying to get in(some would), and Ol' Creepy made his way from the bathroom to my friggin' pillow over a week. I try to leave these creatures alone, but they make my life very stressful :^D

We have them flying about every dawn and dusk right now with the plentiful flying insects all about - more in the evenings than mornings. I put a bat box up at the peak of the eaves on the south side of the house back in 2016 (they need a minimum of six hours direct sun each day on the bat house while hibernating through the winter). So far we haven’t seen any entering or leaving. I’ve only had one inside back during construction when the windows weren’t all installed.

I have decided that on the several occasions we've had one get inside the house, it's from unscreened access to a lower floor bathroom vent in the tiny area above the ceiling in the dormer roofed second floor. The upper end of that vent pipe is situated directly under a screened roof-mounted attic vent. Theoretically, by getting under the siding somewhere and then crawling up the inside structure of the wall, they could get there. Then down the vent pipe, through the vent fan, and there they are, inside. Nothing else makes the least bit of sense. And we have heard them once scrabbling about above that vent.

Only way to access that vent pipe to screen it is by removing the attic vent above it...certainly not first on my want to do list :). We seldom used the vent fan in that bathroom, so I currently have it blocked off with a few layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil. So far that's been working.

I got under the 4Runner for the first time, well, probably this year. I have one driveshaft bolt to get out before I can remove the third member. Transfer case is in neutral, but the front shaft is trying to spin, also. Not sure what is up with that. I can deal with stuff on the bench. On the floor, not so much.

Well, all the joy of a series of test drives was knocked down when the vehicle known as th F'n 350 decided to just poop in a turn out. Got Rob to tow me back to the shop since rest drives never make the high way. Time to dig in again. Lost spark some how. Maybe over heated the pick up coil. Dunno. That was yesterday afternoon. Today I just helped take out about 200 feet of fence and posts with Rob and has got it in trade. Probably end up with some as well.
Doing laundry at the laundromat since the machines are all tied up at home. Stellar.
Well, at least it's quicker.
Pick up some chicken for the grill and see what the evening brings

Back