How'd it go today?

Does it sound like an occasional screech, or squirrel noise, or like some small animal sneezing when it is idling?
Idling seems fine. Revving up, and putting it in a cut is what gets the noise started, but not 100% of the time. It comes and goes. Imagine a piece of material like a thin bar wear guide that goes against the case when you clamp the bar down. Imagine it isn't clamped down, and it falls against the rotating sprocket. The sound it makes isn't really like grinding metal. It's like a thin piece of metal that touches a revolving force without much pressure. That's as I remember it anyway. If I could start it, I might be able to refine the description, but that's close.

I have a bat in the house. Dunno how it got in here. I heard a noise behind me, so I say "Do I hear cats being bad?" No response... Say it again; crickets. Turn around to look, and there's a bat flying across the room. Time to go bat hunting I guess. Maybe a box is the thing to use. Haven't caught/shoed a bat out in ages. Forget how I did it.

edit:
Got it! It made it easy(ish) for me. I went in the other room, and found it hanging on an air intake over me head. Clapped a box over it, and thought "Now what?!". Saw a paperboard beer carton /just/ in reach, so I nudged over with my toes, lifted it slightly so I could bend down and grab it, all the while holding the box over the bat. Dump the beer out, rip the box seam, and slide it between the vent and the bat. That's when the chattering started! Got everything in place as best as I could tell, and tried to remove everything without leaving gaps. The thin paperboard started to collapse into the box, but I got the door unlocked, and everything launched onto the front porch. I'm now bat free(I hope), and the bat's safe and sound; ready to find a new place to hangout.

Last edited:
My Mom called me years ago to get a bat out of the house. She told me to kill it. I said I would take it for a ride. She was afraid it would come back so I took it to the next town and let it go at the pier on the lake. I sat it on the ground and watched it fly away. The next morning there was an article in the paper that said bats could not take off from the ground. Wrong, I said. I watched it take off. Funny just a couple days ago I was telling a friend about the bat in our house and they said did you know they can't take off from the ground? People think they are blind also.

Back