How'd it go today?

Does it sound like an occasional screech, or squirrel noise, or like some small animal sneezing when it is idling?
Idling seems fine. Revving up, and putting it in a cut is what gets the noise started, but not 100% of the time. It comes and goes. Imagine a piece of material like a thin bar wear guide that goes against the case when you clamp the bar down. Imagine it isn't clamped down, and it falls against the rotating sprocket. The sound it makes isn't really like grinding metal. It's like a thin piece of metal that touches a revolving force without much pressure. That's as I remember it anyway. If I could start it, I might be able to refine the description, but that's close.

I have a bat in the house. Dunno how it got in here. I heard a noise behind me, so I say "Do I hear cats being bad?" No response... Say it again; crickets. Turn around to look, and there's a bat flying across the room. Time to go bat hunting I guess. Maybe a box is the thing to use. Haven't caught/shoed a bat out in ages. Forget how I did it.

edit:
Got it! It made it easy(ish) for me. I went in the other room, and found it hanging on an air intake over me head. Clapped a box over it, and thought "Now what?!". Saw a paperboard beer carton /just/ in reach, so I nudged over with my toes, lifted it slightly so I could bend down and grab it, all the while holding the box over the bat. Dump the beer out, rip the box seam, and slide it between the vent and the bat. That's when the chattering started! Got everything in place as best as I could tell, and tried to remove everything without leaving gaps. The thin paperboard started to collapse into the box, but I got the door unlocked, and everything launched onto the front porch. I'm now bat free(I hope), and the bat's safe and sound; ready to find a new place to hangout.

Last edited:
My Mom called me years ago to get a bat out of the house. She told me to kill it. I said I would take it for a ride. She was afraid it would come back so I took it to the next town and let it go at the pier on the lake. I sat it on the ground and watched it fly away. The next morning there was an article in the paper that said bats could not take off from the ground. Wrong, I said. I watched it take off. Funny just a couple days ago I was telling a friend about the bat in our house and they said did you know they can't take off from the ground? People think they are blind also.

My Mom called me years ago to get a bat out of the house. She told me to kill it. I said I would take it for a ride. She was afraid it would come back so I took it to the next town and let it go at the pier on the lake. I sat it on the ground and watched it fly away. The next morning there was an article in the paper that said bats could not take off from the ground. Wrong, I said. I watched it take off. Funny just a couple days ago I was telling a friend about the bat in our house and they said did you know they can't take off from the ground? People think they are blind also.
Some water birds cannot take off without water. We have had them get stranded in puddles.

First day on rope in a long time, drilled holes for a cable, and it actually felt pretty good to be back up there. My big drill of course is down, and i couldn't find any of my bits either. So i ended up making one out of 3/8 all thread and it worked pretty well, and then drilled out to size from each end. I simply ground an end of the rod to a point, and then ground it to roughly half the diameter the first inch or so, trying it make it flat as possible. It cuts slowly compared to a twist or auger, but it goes on straight, and the much smaller chips compress into the flat and come out easily. You do have to withdraw the bit and clean chips often, but with it being all thread it'll self feed into the wood and is flexible too. Once the torque starts building up a bunch spin it in reverse and it'll come right out with the chips and such packed in the relief area. They're called cannon bits or d bits, I'll make them from time to time for working steel but it works great in wood too, basically a poor man's auger bit :lol:

Last edited:
Jealous of your weather, max.

Went to the mountains to cut up the trees I’ve been felling. Worked until midday when arm started cramping. 93f. Shade makes a big diff but I didn’t do well at staying in it. Two tanks thru the 395, 3 in the 2166, half thru 2175. Gallon of water and two gatorlytes, ran out of water midday, time to go! 4 more gatorlytes on the way home.

I stopped to chase the rattle snake out of the road but he already had a permanent headache.

old beat 395 leakin erl

395 freak pinch, that sucked and time suck too. Details in the work pics thread.

Linner! Special quesedilla and a carne asada burrito.

IMG_7914.jpeg IMG_7915.jpeg IMG_7918.jpeg IMG_7927.jpeg

Got an email alert that my favorite snuff company is out of business, and the last of the German made product was up for sale at a premium. Had to buy some. They've been in business since 1733. Their recipes have been taken up by a British firm, but it's unlikely to be the same, though I'll buy some to try when released.

Being into tobacco is bad for my hoarding tendencies. I have a freezer so stuffed with snus there isn't much room for food, but I have some brands that haven't been available in >10 years.

Screenshot_2024-08-10_19-42-54.png

Haven't done much of anything the last few days. Haven't been feeling tops. Probably heat poisoning :^D

Tuned my new saw today; mostly... I don't have a great ear for tuning, and it seems to go deaf when I'm specifically trying to tune a saw. I have to listen while I'm working with it, and make small adjustments from there. It started easily and ran strong though. Should be ready for work.

edit:
Forgot. I acquired a new to me double dish plastic food bowl. The asshole fox left it in my yard. Piece of junk. I want the stainless bowl he stole back. I wonder where the plastic bowl came from?

Last edited:
Back