How'd it go today?

Never had the pleasure of climbing with a wire core three strand but I know I have a few of those old snaps laying around @pigwot
Patrick that sucks about the tractor. I’m betting labors is pretty proud of those lights. At least no one got hurt.

I had a long day of hauling brush and wood to the chipper with the mini. About two pm I got a call that there was a semi waiting for me at the local FD. Apparently the trucking company didn’t find it important to let me know a delivery time. Not even the date. I let the driver know that who ever is in charge of logistics there is an asshole. Luckily I was close and could come unload. Anyhow I now have my new Eastonmade 22-28. Happy with it so far.

We had to do some real heavy rigging easily in my top five sketchiest trees. It was a large oak, every bit of 40” DBH and 100’, with three other trees hung up in it 28” 20” and 12”er. First tree and the smallest, smooth sailing. Second tree and the largest was just barely hanging on up top and the crown had been cut out but the row guys last year or something. I set 3/4” stable braid in double whip to the GRCS with 5/8” guy lines. Pic to follow. There really wasn’t any other choice, if something failed it would have whipped out many sets of comm lines and the power pole guy line. The third tree was tricky but went well, firewooded free fall of the crown and hung the 25’ of log on the previous double whip while skidding out the bottom with the mini. And some random pruning on a handful of yard trees.
403743B0-9B4E-4ED5-806C-F462AE6D3B7A.jpeg B57D12D8-05B3-416D-9475-1B3A4C5B190C.jpeg E861AE28-22C0-42D4-8D67-7EC5C0F7040D.jpeg
And I swear that little firewood shed was spared a hit or dozen by Devine Intervention. No lie I watched a three foot chunk deflect like it was stiff armed away from a bullseye.

I was just thinking of how to get my branch down. We could put the skidloader on one side of the fence, and tether the limb to it. I could span a couple fenceposts with an oak plank so the rope doesn't tear out the fence, then aim for the narrow lay I was talking about. If I go wrong, the tether will keep it on track.

I did that tree/branch I was stressing about awhile ago. Turns out it was on boss' property, and the woman there was bitching about it. He said he'd help clear around it with the skidloader, and it didn't look quite as bad as the first time I saw it. It had better/safer geometry for getting out of the way. Made an open face/bore/release, and it all went well without much stuff falling from above. Sloppy face, which I'm good for anyway, but also because I was cutting at head level.

IMG_20230322_144844684.jpg

Spring comes earlier every year.

This has a lot to do with climate change and differences in rainfall in the northern hemisphere from my understanding. Many legitimate scientists also believe we are in the beginning stages of a "polar shift," where the north and south poles would flip, causing a disruption to our magnetosphere during the interim, where we could see coronal mass ejections from the Sun wipe out our satellite arrays and send dangerous radioactivity onto the Earth. Some say this is pseudoscience, but I've heard numerous reputable sources reporting it as something that will definitively happen eventually. We know this because of, in part, the "Zebra stripes" at the bottom of our oceans where molten sea bed, and the cooled magnetic sediment within them, can be see shifting pole direction every so often over hundreds of thousands of years (not sure on this exact value). For this reason, we know that our planet has experienced several polar shifts in the past. This is due to affect us as soon as hundreds of years from now and it may have already begun. I'm just reporting what I've read. Don't hate the reader, hate the game.

Went to bed last night hearing the rain. Woke up at 4:45 to the same sound. Waited patiently for the text that never came. Ended up going on a felling job. It wasn’t too bad and we worked until about two. I was able to run and pick up 8 more IBC cages after work. Home early enough to shower and pick the two younger kids up from an after school activity. Quick run through McDonalds and now hoping the rain subsides enough to walk into the chiropractor’s office.
@Knotorious do you have a YouTube channel? It’s funny that a guy I work with mentioned the name and then I see a post here by the same
Edit: I found your answer in your bio.

@treebilly Yes. My channel can be found here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQpij2XQOwqcqH8gTic-GCg

I have both long and short form videos. Mostly knot and friction hitch tying "how to's." There are some climbing technique videos and various whatnot related to mostly tree climbing, but rock climbing and alpine as well. I'm not certain about this, but I think it's safe to say that I have one of the most comprehensive libraries of friction hitches of any channel out there and I'm not even close to being done. One of the things that makes my channel unique is the addition of my on friction hitch inventions which include a list of well-functioning and unique looking hitches. But I'll stop trying to sell my channel now. Honestly, though, I'm flattered that someone out in the real world actually mentioned my channel.

Did I have a link in my bio? I forget what's in there haha

I used to be Bioassay. But I changed it to match my YouTube channel for continuity.

Last edited:
Skye seems to be doing ok. More energy today until we medicate her.
She wanted out of the kennel, in my lap in the chair giving kisses to her dog friends 20230323_161806.jpg
I got rained out today. I ran a bunch of errands and estimates. Then stopped and removed a good sized pine limb out of a custys yard for quick cash. On my way to pick Lilly up from school no less. Fit on the flat bed and fell off at home by the burn pile :D
Estimates panned out to more E work. 4 clear days coming. Time to make hay again.

This has a lot to do with climate change and differences in rainfall in the northern hemisphere from my understanding. Many legitimate scientists also believe we are in the beginning stages of a "polar shift," where the north and south poles would flip, causing a disruption to our magnetosphere during the interim, where we could see coronal mass ejections from the Sun wipe out our satellite arrays and send dangerous radioactivity onto the Earth. Some say this is pseudoscience, but I've heard numerous reputable sources reporting it as something that will definitively happen eventually. We know this because of, in part, the "Zebra stripes" at the bottom of our oceans where molten sea bed, and the cooled magnetic sediment within them, can be see shifting pole direction every so often over hundreds of thousands of years (not sure on this exact value). For this reason, we know that our planet has experienced several polar shifts in the past. This is due to affect us as soon as hundreds of years from now and it may have already begun. I'm just reporting what I've read. Don't hate the reader, hate the game.
I've heard it said to be related to a roughly 6000 or 12,000 year cycle, and that we're less than 200, maybe less than 50 years from it. Worst case according to some theories is that the whole surface (crust) of the earth could shift off axis too due to the polar flip and events that cause a decreased friction below the crust allowing it to break loose. Supposedly the polar flip is caused by external forces from the galaxy, and could be linked to the cycles of the sun including periodic novas (not super novas, which aren't multiple, but once per star, hence the "super").

@CurSedVoyce Thank you for correcting me on the nomenclature. It's "polar reversal" not "polar shift." I independently realized this on my way to Walgreens this morning, but you beat me to it. See! Knotorious spits those facts! Polar reversals are real haha

Looks like I was wrong about the CMEs. Apparently that's just hype. I did say that many believed it to be pseudoscience. My approach was unbiased. =-D

Great article!

Last edited:
Back