How'd it go today?

Just bought 50# of 60d nails; $115. I think they were about $70 last time I bought them.

I wanted clover, but homedepot only has it online. I'll try the local farm store and tractorsupply before I order any. Against my better judgment, I got wildflower seed and just spread it. I'm not convinced they aren't all pouches of sawdust. I've never gotten a wildflower from the "wildflower seeds" I've spread. Hope springs eternal...

Just bought 50# of 60d nails; $115. I think they were about $70 last time I bought them.

I wanted clover, but homedepot only has it online. I'll try the local farm store and tractorsupply before I order any. Against my better judgment, I got wildflower seed and just spread it. I'm not convinced they aren't all pouches of sawdust. I've never gotten a wildflower from the "wildflower seeds" I've spread. Hope springs eternal...
I've never gotten jack from trying to hatch bird seed!

What are you doing with the 60d nails?
They're for work. We use them for semi permanent control points, and for doing stakeout. They really shine for doing stuff like piles where you're setting a ton of points in a confined area. Makes it go much quicker. We'll either tie flagging around them, or more typically, use a chaser. I also have a handful of hardened 40d nails from the Amish hardware store. I don't use many of those, but when you need something with a little more rigidity, they can help. Not as hard as a masonry nail, but much better than the typical common nail. Chaser...

81-S4z-MVye-HL-SL1500.jpg

Wanna hear something stupid? I'm actually giving some consideration to getting a MonkeyBeaver saddle. Cause I do so much work, I need more than three, right?! Did you know that for an extra $25 you can get one in olive drab? Olive drab's my favorite color...

Found clover seed at the farm store. I bought 10#. That should be enough to cover my yard, but I'm gonna concentrate on the thinner and/or hassle to mow sections first, and see what it looks like. I can't wait! Might be able to say "Good by, and frig off!" to that awful turf grass.

Laid out caissons for a noisewall. This job's a hassle. Tight access with no room to do anything, and today it was muddy. Instead of double offsetting the holes, I did a single row, and figured triangles so they could pull them in accurately. That way there was room for machines to go back and forth without disturbing the stakes.

IMG_20230327_095203022_HDR.jpg

Got home just in time to spread clover seed. It started raining exactly as I finished.

Good day today.

Had a phone meeting on setting up a scholarship fund for young musical students that went very well. This and out local volunteer fire dept. will be the biggest benefactors from my estate.

Sat out with the dog in the sun a few times and enjoyed the nice day.

Played fiddle a couple hours. didn't sound too great but started to come into it about the time ai quit. Too much time off lately. I'd ave normally kept going but getting a bit tuckered out.

time for a bowl of cereal and then some reading with Dash in my lap before bed.

Had a decent day for what it was. Had to go to Cleveland again so that never puts me in a good mood. The chipper is acting a fool and I’m 90% sure it’s the over pressure sensor. Of course they don’t have one in stock. I had to leave at lunch to go to the dr’s. First time since forever. I voiced my concerns and they checked me out. Said I appear to be fine. I did ask for some blood work to be done so I have that to do and then a follow up. Stacked some wood in between checking on the sick child and making dinner. Since I was home early I’m trying to get things done while giving the wife a little break. Oh well, off to do the dishes.

really good day today, bid one job at 10am, turned it down due to liability and not trying to hit 2 buildings in one week
got the call for this big guy at 2pm, started at 3pm (bid the job and started at the same time)
free log dump (firewood guy) is a mile away, access is a 4ft gate with a stone right about 2ft from it sticking out a foot into the path the gate leaves so you have to hit the gate at an angle

got to finish tomorrow around lunch time, got one load of brush out today and wood tomorrow
hopefully I can snag more pics tomorrow
337690987_907419623814333_9106306385310981161_n.jpg

Ugh. Where do I begin? I currently have 45 days before my current lease ends. I have yet to secure a new apartment, but I just know I won't be renewing where I currently live. I could get a two bedroom for what I'm currently paying for this studio. Don't get me wrong, though, it's a nice studio; otherwise I would have renewed the lease last time despite the rent hike. But no more. I'm out of here. I'm just unbelievably stressed out because I have to pack, throw out two years worth of useless crap that I've hoarded, and Ihave to make this place somehow spotless so that I can hopefully get my damage deposit back. We'll see how that goes haha. Not to mention I'll have to move whatever I keep (AKA climbing gear, clothes, bedding, tripods and whatever else for my channel) using Lyfts or Ubers or my girlfriend will help me out I'm sure.

I also began imposing a "stop being so impulsive" rule for myself on my YouTube channel. I was posting almost everything as soon as I created it, but I realized that everyone else has a schedule for new content or at least holds onto it for a week after the previous video so that they don't burn out on content. This probably sounds lame, but I get so excited about sharing my content with the world that it takes serious self restraint to hold back. However, my channel will benefit from the self control and so will I. I now have videos backed up for the next two months worth of content. So that way I can focus on my move. =-D

Just blew a hydraulic line on my chipper, I'm covered in oil head to toe now lol

EDIT FOR CLARITY
this was on the same job we hit the house, customer wanted us to come back and clean up (wasnt in the bid for the guy we are working under)
this job is cursed I tell ya, second arm load of <1" brush to warm up, hit the crush cylinder and pop goes the hose, 6pm so all the hose shops are closed and 30 minute drive home again, we werent on site 5 minutes
im guessing cold fluid and hit the relief causing it to blow, old cracked hoses anyways
hydraulic fluid tastes like shit!

Last edited:
Dude, you been hanging too close to me too long :lol: and yah just got here.
Well, good news here. Tons of wind and rain but no snow. But.... maybe snow tonight. Weather broke long enough to go pick up the new Dingo motor and the idler springs showed up today. Dingo is back in action :/:
Need a 3 day slurp to disassemble, do some welding (while I am in there after a pressure wash and grinding), then reassemble.
Old motor still chugging. But it's days are numbered.

Dude, you been hanging too close to me too long :lol: and yah just got here.
all within almost a month
blew seal in outrigger, had to replace starter in my boxer, now voltage regulator is shot (shorted wire popped it I think, replaced alternator and that didnt fix it)
hit a house, blew the hydraulic line on my chipper, and on the first job of today I got half way done and the boxer ran outta go juice, forgot my can at home and had to buy another

what a life lol, always something to keep my away from weekends

Ran low on battery today. I forgot to put it on charge when I got in this morning. I like shortstroking lithium batteries. Don't charge to full, and don't fully deplete. Keeps them healthier. A morning top up is usually sufficient when I remember.

I had to break out one of my earlier battery experiments to finish the day...

IMG_20230329_132521258_HDR.jpg

It's a harborfreight lithium jumpstarter with an adapter made from a snus can and old electronic parts. Another snus can with connectors to fit the gun, and speaker wire with alligator clips connects to that. Saved me from dragging the lead acid jumpstarter back to the middle of nowhere. I used to carry that stupid thing everywhere. I'm over carrying lead batteries. If I never did it again, that would be just fine.

It's a harborfreight lithium jumpstarter with an adapter made from a snus can and old electronic parts. Another snus can with connectors to fit the gun, and speaker wire with alligator clips connects to that. Saved me from dragging the lead acid jumpstarter back to the middle of nowhere. I used to carry that stupid thing everywhere. I'm over carrying lead batteries. If I never did it again, that would be just fine.

You deserve a gold star for recycling and for ingenuity.

I'm a packrat :^D I don't like throwing anything out. I do cause of limited space, and not wanting to be featured on a tv special one day, but if I had some acreage, and maybe a barn or two... oh, boy. I'd have a spectacular collection. I should have gotten into the junk business. A step above the landfill, but a step below antique shop. Useful junk. IMO, the most elegant solution to a problem is making something out of nothing. No new crap was purchased, and old crap was diverted from uselessness. Kyle's a pro at that. I operate on a lower level, but better than nothing.

Stressful removal in Cleveland today. Big tree in close proximity to primary and secondary wires. Wasn’t really that bad, just a lot of moving the boom around and whole truck multiple times. Went fine just a slow process. Finished the day by removing some broken limbs our clearing crew left on a home lot. Of course the wind picked up and it rained for that.
Dealing with a sick child again tonight. He’s at least not being a mean grouch. Also pretty sure I bought 25 mats today. Still waiting on them to call back and confirm. Prices have sure gone up but I need a tax right off anyhow.

Back