How'd it go today?

I've been limping with a laptop with an effed up touchscreen that a cat tested his teeth on but it still has a built in disk drive. Now windows wants me to upgrade to at least 10 from 7. I have a Commodore 64 in the shed I should bring out.😉

I managed to get rid of the "upgrade to 10" things years ago. (took a month or so)
Now getting three warnings. GDrive, Chrome, & something else. Plus the machine just sleeps or wakes whenever it chooses.

My first was an Atari800. My first IBM compatible was a 486DX I got from a computer show. I later got into building computers, and overclocking for performance. I always swore I'd never buy a prebuilt, but that's all I run anymore. I just don't give a shit. I don't game anymore, proprietary software's distasteful, and I'm not interested in hardware. My last two computers are Dell refurbs I paid < $300 for. They do what I want, and don't create much additional E waste.

Rain today. I just started a fire. It's 51° at the thermostat, but I was feeling pretty good. I built the fire 'just cause'. Funny how that works. Some days 51° feels fine, and other days I'm freezing at 57°. Weird...

Yup, I love calling it free heat, too. Of course that doesn't count the slave labor involved :rockhard:

Of course that doesn't count the slave labor involved :rockhard:
That's not slave labor. That's the complimentary complementary gym membership that comes with the free heat. It's basically like getting paid to heat your house ;^)

edit:
Spelling. I was looking it over thinking "Hmm...". A complimentary gym membership would say "What are you even doing here? You already look great!" :^D

edit2:
Had it right the first time, and was corrected by Sean. I'll leave the stupid up for posterity.

Last edited:
Well. refrigerator got fixed. Thank the gods.
The truck wind shield on the other hand....
Told my niece to go put 100.00 in an envelope on the windshield of my diesel. She put it on my gasser 4x4. :|:
I had left two prior messages for the windshield company. When they came out in the rain the first time, the work order was wrote up for a 1995 F550. So not only could they not do the deed in the rain as I had advised them before they came up here, wrong window anyway.
SO they called and rescheduled for today since last week my window got broken on their truck.
So I left messages with the address the truck was at. Reminded them it was a 1995 F250. Noting the truck was at a different address than before.
Guy calls me where I have no service. As I told them would be the case. But since I had to come home for the appliance repair, I thought I might catch him. Nope.
He told the niece that this truck (a 1991 F250 4x4) had a broken glass so this was the one. At the old address location. She pays him. He installs it. Its an insurance job. They have the vehicle specs. The Lic number, The Vin. Seriously.
SO I guess I am going to get two for one deductible. Called my agent. Heads up. Don't let them bill you for two. Called the glass company. Rescheduled for next week. Dude was like, you left a message? Yes, two. One Tuesday and one Wed. and tried to call you again this morning because I never heard back from you confirming about today. Read off the plate number and the vin. He apologized and such. Man, I would not want to be that repair guy this afternoon.
Just can't make this stuff up.

I'm seriously thinking of running it until it dies and just swearing off using computers/internet anymore.
Might just be my curmudgeonly mood lately.
That's not unreasonable seeing how the advancements in technology often shift from what's best for mankind to what's best for the owners of that tech. Make it obsolete, so you have to buy new tech that requires subscriptions to keep them rich and you poor, and encourages or requires it be used more and more in daily life with more devices, so they can sell you more tech and keep you in a sort of slavery.

That's not slave labor. That's the complimentary complementary gym membership that comes with the free heat. It's basically like getting paid to heat your house ;^)

edit:
Spelling. I was looking it over thinking "Hmm...". A complimentary gym membership would say "What are you even doing here? You already look great!" :^D
Complimentary is free.

Complementary is a well-matched addition to something else, such as a liberal and conservative can make a complementary team, and complementary angles adding up to 90⁰.

Ah, got confused and second guessed myself. I usually just write and go, but that word caught my eye.

We had a semi retired family friend come over to look at doing trim, doors, painting, and drywall repair.

I’ve done everything around the house until the last paint job and floor refinishing. I’ve done lots of pretty big projects. It’s time to let go and let others get paid to do some work around here. It’s hard to do but I just don’t have the time or feel like doing certain tasks. It’s hard to let someone else work on my home.

No matter what, there will be pain regarding house maintenance. It can be a pain in the wallet or a pain in the clock (time). I’m leaning more towards hurting in the wallet than giving up my time.

Interestingly, I sucked up 134 fruit flies into the vacuum. They were dispersed between 5 different rooms. Between the home made traps and vacuum we should eradicate them promptly.

We had a semi retired family friend come over to look at doing trim, doors, painting, and drywall repair.

I’ve done everything around the house until the last paint job and floor refinishing. I’ve done lots of pretty big projects. It’s time to let go and let others get paid to do some work around here. It’s hard to do but I just don’t have the time or feel like doing certain tasks. It’s hard to let someone else work on my home.

No matter what, there will be pain regarding house maintenance. It can be a pain in the wallet or a pain in the clock (time). I’m leaning more towards hurting in the wallet than giving up my time.

Interestingly, I sucked up 134 fruit flies into the vacuum. They were dispersed between 5 different rooms. Between the home made traps and vacuum we should eradicate them promptly.
Being an Irishman, I know your pain about paying others to work on your place. It's a last resort for me to hire and most of the time I can't find someone to do it, so it falls on me.

Foamy soapy apple cider vinegar if they really are fruit flies. They could be fungus gnats from potted plants.

My friend is an airplane mechanic.

He said halfway through a frustration cigarette, he would figure out a problem.

Once, I was working on a boat. I got someone to come smoke nearby the boat to see it it helped. It was comic relief. I took the boat to the shop, after trying everthing I could think to do.

Definitely did some swearing.

I advise people new to throw lining to get their swearing in, as it is critical to becoming a throw lining pro!
😄

Foamy soapy apple cider vinegar if they really are fruit flies. They could be fungus gnats from potted plants.
We have the homemade apple cider vinegar traps out. They are working but not fast enough for the wifey. Mine sound a little different from what you described though. I’ll make one like you suggested because it may work better.

I bet that the swearing will be handy again soon. The hand brake on my van is acting, like the system for canceling the play is stuck on one side. So I have just one wheel as a parking brake and that isn't enough on a slope. Other problem, the command cables may have some water in them and it's frozen now. So the hand brake only works by half but at the same time doesn't want to not work after the night (even with leaving the van in gear instead of on the hand brake). Fun. Some electrical problems too and a shock absorber wrecking its fixture on the axle, but it's too cold now to put my nose in all that.
Easy peasy compared to Stephan's problems, but still anoying.

Back