How'd it go today?

Well, I did get double whammied. Food poisoning first from my lunch getting warm. So that weakened my immune system of the gut. Then bammmmm. Thanks kids!
:lol:
Kids will do it! We have 3 in elementary school. They bring lots home. Actually, my wife’s a nurse at a hospital and I’m in and out of multiple households a day fixing plumbing. Lots going on over here!

From yesterday but fell asleep before writing

Needed a 100’ shot in a black oak. Tight quarters. Nearly vertical approach. 7 shots and I took it. It was 4’ out on a 5” limb. I just didn’t trust it 100%. I decided the best thing to do was shoot another line for the warm and fuzzies and I needed something to get to that other side anyway. That took 8 shots. I started to think that I’m just not supposed to get in that tree today. This was the most prolonged line setting experience by FAR. At least I didn’t get a bag stuck, but still……

It can get frustrating, and it's counterproductive. Your cool gets blown, you get sloppier, and everything goes to hell. You can also get injured. Back on my locust ordeal, one of the details I left out was getting slammed by that solid throwbag I like so much. I was well underway on that debacle, and It got hung up in the branches. I'm tugging on it, but it isn't budging, and I'm PISSED. I yank the shit out of the line, and that weight rocketed back to me, and hit me in the chest. Left a nice bruise. I'd have lost teeth or broken face parts if it hit me in the face.

Anyway, point is try to keep your cool. It'll only get worse if you don't.

I’ve gotten it in the sternum from a 12 oz bag. A hard weight would hurt much more I’d imagine. I do wear my helmet when setting lines. Maybe the visor in the down would be good for a hard and fast retrieval.

A visor would protect your eyes, but there's still a lot of delicate stuff exposed. The best way is to not do it at all. Second best would be to hide behind a tree when you make the big pull. That thing came at me so fast, I didn't have time to react.

You can't stay cool-minded with a frustrating throwline setting.
And it's worse if there are bystanders, You have to stay confident enought to continue your attemps and making good figure, while boiling inside with rage and despair. The throw kit doesn't leave often my van.

The throwbag can come fast, but once I broke the record when the bigshot fired back at me. It's like an instand smack on the nogin. Thanks to the helmet.
See why the Silver Dilbo was so reluctantly "welcommed" at the TreeHouse !

I am in the camp of throw lines are worth learning to use, which takes paying your dues (some 4-letter words).

Yes to helmets and eye pro!

Throw line can save so much climbing.
Two summers ago, I climbed a tree just to set a pull line for felling.
That dead tree was solid, however there are trees you shouldn't climb, so throw line skills are necessary.

Pretty cool to build a house, I never got past tree fort status… now I’m trying to build a goat house.

Talked to a friend today… he told me his good buddy went through the chipper a couple weeks ago…
The fellow was an experienced ground worker w many years… he also had epilepsy… it was a rule that he never chipped alone.
Shorthanded the crew had him chip alone… he had a seizure while chipping and went through. Pretty frigged up situation.
No need for Rush. Take care of yourselves and watch out for your fellow crew mates. Hug your family and pet the dog.

That's awful. Probably weighed the odds and figured "It'll be alright...". Problem with statistics is there's a chance for almost anything to happen, and sometimes you end up on the wrong side.

Mine too. We have a few around all Summer (they like to next in the burning bush & hedge), but several groups of dozens today. :)

They hung out most of the day and are gone now.

Last edited:
Biggest removal of my career. 7ft diameter pin oak at a cemetery

Attachments

• 605F7D4E-5429-41BA-ACE9-5D27A1AD4D04.jpeg
    605F7D4E-5429-41BA-ACE9-5D27A1AD4D04.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 4E9C047A-806D-42F0-8460-DFE45ADD0756.jpeg
    4E9C047A-806D-42F0-8460-DFE45ADD0756.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 9CAAC5C3-5F97-4251-8432-7320B43F61B9.jpeg
    9CAAC5C3-5F97-4251-8432-7320B43F61B9.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 13
  • 2DB8BAC1-E78E-48B9-9E04-9BB74197BAD3.jpeg
    2DB8BAC1-E78E-48B9-9E04-9BB74197BAD3.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 13
  • 954F5B4B-2BAF-43A5-9B8F-AB93DA52DF2D.jpeg
    954F5B4B-2BAF-43A5-9B8F-AB93DA52DF2D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
My oldest had his last baseball game of the season. There’s mostly walks and hit by the pitch at 9-10 yo level. Occasionally there’s a strike out or a hit.

I finished the neighbors black oak trim/ pre removal. It was very difficult because I had to take out all the crispy or fungi infested limbs while leaving as much of the living tissue as possible. It’s a dying tree that I made safe for the bonfires and targets below. The thing is 125’ with 6 leaders beginning at 80’. I tried to get central and long lanyard myself over to reach with the pole saw to cut out the dead. They had a few other neighbors over and I became the entertainment.

Back