How'd it go today?

Friend loaned me his 1/2 ton right as I got sick. Thank the gods for friends. However, sick meant another week before I could dig into the one ton. Ordered everything I could think of when replacing the balancer and the timing cover. But...
Got in, Cam sheared off behind the timing sproket. Pieces of aluminum won out and just broke crap. Tooth missing out of the crank timing sproket. FUBAR. SO now I am down two motors (two trucks) and still waiting on the computers back or word on them to get my diesel up (3 for 3). Then yesterday, plot twist. Dingo hydraulic pump kaput. Seal, shaft and pulley. Just in time for pondo removals :|:
So, pulling the motor tomorrow hopefully on the F'n350. At least get it stripped down to pull. Dingo pump has to be taken down 2 hours out to see if I can order or rebuild.. Rains it pours. Hired a friend to tow the chipper around. Problem solving and trying not to panic. Fuggers knew I made money before I got sick. Bastids!

Finished up my “largest job” project. Used the manual pole pruner to remove a lower limb on a maple and then just set a rope to take off the last few. I’d rather climb. I did use the pruning sheer function to do a few reduction cuts to remove some end weight and that worked well.
Cleaned out 2 uppermost dead and snapped limbs from a walnut and had to get creative to get it done. Built a lean to for rhododendron protection- good thing too! Twas needed. It was just a challenge for a few reasons. Good growth from figuring it out.

Came home and friend / groundie was removing some dogwoods for a neighbor and needed assistance. He’s a very intelligent man and a great co worker but he needs practice with felling notches and wrecking techniques. He used a ladder (I’ve told him about that) to cut most of the canopy and left the stuff that leaned towards the house and then didn’t know what to do. I put a rope in it, aimed it, and we both pulled it over. No damage.

Gas powered pole saw arrived today so that’s exciting. I can’t believe I went 15 months without pole saws. Lots of people START their business with pole saws.

Attachments

• 2C3FEFD6-960A-48A0-96D5-971D2B2F30AD.jpeg
    2C3FEFD6-960A-48A0-96D5-971D2B2F30AD.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 03069B75-FA7D-465C-909A-E1581DF05942.jpeg
    03069B75-FA7D-465C-909A-E1581DF05942.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 3
Did my first tree climbing comp today… pretty pleased w myself…. I placed 9th overall.
i placed 3rd overall in aerial rescue…. And 2nd in newbie, meaning of the first comp people….

Going to watch the masters tomorrow…. Planning on Maui in Feb for another comp. My ascent sucked…. My saka kept missing, not catching… the chesty on the akimbo popped off twice and my foot ascender popped off…. plenty to improve on. Really enjoyed Work climb and aerial rescue.

Attachments

• EF5ED428-EC02-4B0C-BF43-DA7F7C9F3AD5.jpeg
    EF5ED428-EC02-4B0C-BF43-DA7F7C9F3AD5.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I feel like ass today. I thought I was getting better, but woke up in a fog I can't break. Had to get a glass of water last night cause I was mouth breathing, and my mouth was as dry as a litter box, and tasted about as good. I was gonna get eggs and winesap apples today, but didn't feel like leaving the house. Just hanging out doing nothing...

Dunno. I have a thermometer around here somewhere, but I couldn't put my hands on it right now. That's just trivia anyway. I don't take otc medicine, so there's nothing to do but wait. Thinking about a bath instead of a shower tonight. Sitting in a steamy room for awhile might help clear up my head.

I use otc fever reducers with anything over 101. Personally, I like to know if I have a fever or it’s misery from something not fever producing. I still have a touch of the head cold as well. You’re right about the hot steam- works nicely to break up all that mucus.

Yesterday wasn't a great day. Had to layout boltholes on the country bridge job. I was coughing so much I thought my lungs were gonna come out of my mouth. After finishing one pier, I had to do the other. Before when I creek walked it, the water levels were down. We've had a decent amount of rain lately, and the creek was up. Standing up by the road looking at the riffles, I thought "I can do that". Getting down by the creek edge it changed to "Dunno about this shit".

Driving the detour to the other side was a 20+ minute drive, so I went for it. Water up to my waist, and the current was STRONG. Got about halfway over and lost it. Had trouble getting back on my feet, and there's always the concern of a foot entrapment in situations like that. Since my lungs are shot, it was hard to recover, and get in a good position. Made it out of the creek missing 2 cans of snus, a tin of snuff, a paint can, half a prismpole and a prism. Knees are beat to shit, and I still haven't inspected my vest for lost stuff. Had to make the drive anyway, but got to do it completely soaked. Finished the pier and went home.

Went into work today, and it was still raining a bit. Nobody showed up within an hour, so I went home, and here I am. Cough's a little better, but still not great.

Back