How'd it go today?

Changed oil in other half's SUV, cleaned/organized beer boxes (had various singles/pairs in 7 different boxes; merged down to 2.5, and refilled fridge), shortened the grass, and worked on new real estate. Productive, albeit not much fun, day all around.

Went to Mike's today and split a 600' reel of ⅝" stablebraid. Took a couple limbs out of his poplar. He did the climbing. First drop was a little rough. We used the new rope which was overkill, and it kinda hung up in the porty, and it swung back and tapped him. I only used one full wrap, but the diameter of the rope caused it to hold too well. I wasn't even really holding it when the limb dropped. Second limb went better with only half a wrap. Live and learn. It was a good day. Haven't seen Mike in awhile.

Made a deal for a replacement owb today. Same as I had before. From a friend so we can work out the payment schedule later. I have to call my log truck guy and see if he can move it for me. I estimate that it would take at least $1,500/month to heat this place in really cold weather, and it's taking about $4 a day for a shower and dishes. The hard part is going to be coming up with the two circulators, at least one of which needs to be an 011 TACO.

Old boiler isn't looking too happy:
20220101_143514.jpg

Dave, is that the tractor with the flat tire you posted a couple days ago? Looks like you fixed it?!

Would the $1500 be for electric heat in an older drafty home?

Happy Labor Day!

Shortened the grass, grilled for the family, wife got all the last minute stuff done for all 3 to go back to school tomorrow.

Went up to remove 2 partially attached hickory limbs snapped off in a storm 2 months ago. So, got my climbing in for the day. Now’s the season for 4 rec climbs a week since it’s a little cooler.

Hope you all had a good holiday.
It went by without notice for me except we were a touch busier at work than on a normal Monday morning.

Had a good talk with the boss today.
They are for sure closing the golf course after this season...can't find enough help and between their age and health they just can't do all it takes anymore to keep it going.
They will be keeping the the driving range going at least next year, so that's a bright spot for me. I'll get a few less hours in, but at least get to keep my "morning chores".

Got blood drawn after work. I really need to figure out which days certain people work there...some are quite good and others are best to avoid, like "the princess of pain" & "nerve hunter".

Went out early on a small job and got out before it went over 100F. Now it's 109*
You could feel the temp climbing. Went back to the shop, dropped the trailer load of prunings and took Lilly to go get the butchered Rabbit by 1pm. Then deliver it. Up 9* in 2 hours. Supposed to peak at 110 :/:
Think I'll wait till almost dark to cut the damage out of the chipper shute :P

Went out early on a small job and got out before it went over 100F. Now it's 109*
You could feel the temp climbing. Went back to the shop, dropped the trailer load of prunings and took Lilly to go get the butchered Rabbit by 1pm. Then deliver it. Up 9* in 2 hours. Supposed to peak at 110 :/:
Think I'll wait till almost dark to cut the damage out of the chipper shute :P
I'd wait until almost light.

Made my boss lots of money and kids went off to school for the first day this year.

Went back up the hickory to removed the last storm damaged limb- the one I couldn’t get yesterday. Now, the easiest way would have a ground guy send up a pole saw. No ground guy or pole saw though. Could have tied the pole saw to rope tail and fight it up through the dense canopy. I really do need to get a pole saw. Groundie partner supposedly ordered one. Anyway, this limb was 2’ above and 7’ away from TIP (70’). Couldn’t get higher from ground. Too dense and tight crotches. Didn’t want to advance my 150’ line. I threw my 16’ lanyard over to damaged section and clipped in. Took out my new throw line and light bag and chucked it about 13’ over a high crotch to pull my 30’ lanyard through. I forgot to attach the end of the throw line to myself and before I could stop it , it was on the ground. 😔. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. The goal is to do quick rec climbs 4-6 days a week for exercise and fun.

Edit: the neighbor friends came over and we had a 13 person kickball game in the front yard. Adults won. 😁

Last edited:
Back