How'd it go today?

Made it back from camping. I’m undecided on liking this campground. Lots for the kids to do and it’s close to the house but the spots are a bit crammed together. They also had a campground corn roast and cook out this weekend. It was nice enough I guess. Probably end up there a few weekends next year. Now for cleaning out the camper and getting it ready for the next time

Deva,
Perhaps a community college that has night courses?
I think you said it rains a lot where you are, so you must be on the windward side of the big island?

Kyle,
It does seem like a lot of those store-bought ones are designed using least-cost planning, - intermittent weld bead to hold the sheet metal together at a minimum, and gaps filled with cheap paint. One nudge and they bend.

I really want to learn to weld…. I just watched YouTubes on bending, cutting, notching and wire welding Tacoma Bumpers.
Bumpers are crazy expensive.. and there are about a billion Tacoma’s out here I could start a side gig that’s not Tree Work.
Though probably a 2-3k ante….
Buy a cheap machine and get some scrap metal. Learn by doing. Maybe have a person with some experience guide you. It’s not rocket science.

And go with a stick welder, so you can use said rusty scrap. Remember relatively untrained people in every corner of the world do it more or less successfully, and if i can do it anyone can. Burn a bunch of rods and get some burns on your arms, next thing you know it's easy. Some classes at a local community college or the backyard of a buddy who does it for money and you'll be good to go. Hit up Craigslist, eBay, marketplace, etc for a used machine, the transformer buzz boxes last forever. Won't be the prettiest or the smoothest running welder obviously, but it will join steel together very well, and will work well on the painted rusty stuff you will be welding on.

Try to get one with dc if possible, it'll run much smoother, is much safer, and run more rods including the ones used in construction which can often be found cheap. If you come across a good deal on a generator type it'll run much smoother because of being bigger and being a higher end unit, and then you can do it in different places than your house. By adding an argon bottle and manual tig torch you have a tig welder. Remember you can roughly cut with a stick welder too, and it's usually the cheapest way to do so. Very handy hacking stuck bolts off, hacking stuff up/off, punching holes for bolts or weep holes, cutting very thick sections, etc. A few seconds with a grinder and you can't even tell. If you have a good size air compressor you can even run a gouging setup to wipe metal away, greatly speeding up certain jobs like repairing welds or replacing parts on equipment buckets.

Back