How'd it go today?

19-22 train car derailment. Happened around 7:30 this morning. A semi hit the train about a mile away and all the chaos was in my back yard. No one seriously hurt. Except for a business that is
So do you get reimbursed for all the damage to your property?

Slayed a good sized oak with Lilly lowering to Rob and came home to find the other hose for my diesel was delivered. So after I dropped Lilly off at Kat's work and did some quick shopping for an easy meal for them to fix, I dug in till 7pm.
First realization is Ford sent me two of the same hoses after ordering a right and left hose. Both were lefties. Right side is shorter on purpose. Easier to access though. So I made it work and covered possibly offending studs with vaccuum caps and loomed the hose. If I need to replace again, I will have one on the shelf soon as I resource it.
New power steering pump and hp hose in. Working my way back. Vaccuum pump pulley brought me to a screeching halt. The tool is too long to press the pully back on. And you cant do it outside the vehicle. They block bracket bolts to the block. So I'll see if I can find a shorter 3/8ths x 16 bolt for the press. Its that or remove the fan and radiator shroud. Bugger.
Push to shove, 'll drill a hole in aforementioned shroud. :/:

So sorry to hear about your cat, Kyle

Stephen, I’m confused! Are you a mechanic or an arborist?!😜

Spoke to Bartlett Tree Experts manager about comparable reimbursement regarding a career change. Still kinda clear as mud. I did find out that Bartlett Supply is in no way shape or form related to Bartlett Tree Experts. That question got resolved at least.😁

So do you get reimbursed for all the damage to your property?
Yes and no. They have 35’ south of the southern rail of the tracks. It’s wider than most because there was a double rail there in the past. The head ache is establishing the line. Most of the damage is west of my place. Also there is a county ROW in there as well. They did give me a card of who to call to talk about damage compensation. Mine is more from all the trucks and machinery than the actual derailment. I might have to claim payment for all the sleep I lost last night. Around 40 trucks moving around all night long that all had back up alarms. Also a lot of equipment moving all night. They had trains rolling by 9 am though.

Yes and no. They have 35’ south of the southern rail of the tracks. It’s wider than most because there was a double rail there in the past. The head ache is establishing the line. Most of the damage is west of my place. Also there is a county ROW in there as well. They did give me a card of who to call to talk about damage compensation. Mine is more from all the trucks and machinery than the actual derailment. I might have to claim payment for all the sleep I lost last night. Around 40 trucks moving around all night long that all had back up alarms. Also a lot of equipment moving all night. They had trains rolling by 9 am though.
Pain and suffering, mental anguish, exhaustion, you look terrible are you having nightmares? Still rather amazing they got it cleaned up considering tonnage involved.

Slayed a good sized oak with Lilly lowering to Rob and came home to find the other hose for my diesel was delivered. So after I dropped Lilly off at Kat's work and did some quick shopping for an easy meal for them to fix, I dug in till 7pm.
First realization is Ford sent me two of the same hoses after ordering a right and left hose. Both were lefties. Right side is shorter on purpose. Easier to access though. So I made it work and covered possibly offending studs with vaccuum caps and loomed the hose. If I need to replace again, I will have one on the shelf soon as I resource it.
New power steering pump and hp hose in. Working my way back. Vaccuum pump pulley brought me to a screeching halt. The tool is too long to press the pully back on. And you cant do it outside the vehicle. They block bracket bolts to the block. So I'll see if I can find a shorter 3/8ths x 16 bolt for the press. Its that or remove the fan and radiator shroud. Bugger.
Push to shove, 'll drill a hole in aforementioned shroud. :/:
What length 3/8" bolt do you need? I have 3/4" to 4". IMG_0436[1].JPG

Made grass shorter. What made it exciting is it was relatively cool and dry for MD August, and I got to skip parts, cause the grass had stopped growing. Noticed a few leaves starting to fall today, and vegetation's looking just a little bit thinner. The end's in sight!

Stephen, I’m confused! Are you a mechanic or an arborist?!😜
I wear many hats. Fact is, more mechanics have cost me more money and screwed up or broke so much of my kit, I come in way cheaper. Seriously!
We lack talent up here. And yes, our country is hard on stuff. Mostly potholed gravel and dirt roads that tear up tires in a year. 8% grades daily.
What length 3/8" bolt do you need? I have 3/4" to 4". View attachment 122831
I got what I needed. Most bolts are not threaded all the way up and I needed under 4 and more than 2". But I made due with just over 2" with a nut and washer acting as a press. Also bought some all thread in case I had to custom make the length. I might still do that and add it to the pulley puller kit, just for that truck.

SO it's back together and it test drove fine till I headed back up the hill. I might have an electrical gremlin. All of a sudden, blown fuse and the tank transfer and chime. No chime suddenly. AC stopped. Spuddering and check engine light. Fuel cuttin in and out. Replace fuse, still no chime but have AC and fuel ??
More spuddering. Going to replace the crank sensor with a brand new one. Still running on my buddy, Frank's, Spare. No leaks is good. But either that damn solenoid for the tanks is going out again or I have a electrical gremlin. :/: Fug those guys!

Wow Brian, you are so organized! Love that! Just amazing.

Goals! And then I look at my mason jars, cardboard boxes, old tupperware, and plastic bags full of an endless variety of screws, bolts, nuts, nails, drill bits, and random scraps of metal...

As I hang my head and mutter, someday I'll organize all this crap.

Repaired a powertape today...

IMG_20220817_122555550_HDR.jpg
It turned out "sufficient". It'll be a beater tape for dumb shit. I made these rivets...

IMG_20220817_122442435_HDR.jpg

This one was a little short is why I had it left. It isn't so bad making a few at a time, but I wouldn't want to spend a day making them. I used to have a kit for repairing tapes, but it disappeared years ago. The weakest part of this setup is punching a clean hole. I used a punch and a hammer. You really need a plier type thing that squeezes the hole in with a predictable diameter, and no extraneous bits left around the edge.

Feet actually. It's like metric, but not compatible with the rest of the world. The smallest graduation on a standard tape is also too big. Better than fractions, but it's a halfassed solution.

Back