How'd it go today?

Hope everything come up clear Mike.

Did some brushcutting. Boss' daughter called me over, and wanted me to clear under a "bush". That bush was a huge pile of some kind of vine(honeysuckle?) and wisteria. I cleared out everything that wasn't wisteria, and told her to look online for ideas about handling wisteria. It's an ungainly thing right now. It doesn't have anything to climb on. I spent a couple hours on that stupid thing :^D
Boss’s daughter, a bush you say! This has the makings of a short film of some kind. LOL 😂

One of my PTs called in Covid yesterday, so had to rearrange work. Showed other PT how to stump grind with the Dingo, so finished up yesterday's job earlier than anticipated. Then worked over to my brother's condo complex to take down 2 60'+ Gingkos. First time doing one, and while dismantling was easy, things were a PITA to clean up. The leaves have some sort of sap/resin in them, and when dragged across concrete/pavement, they attach like they're glued on. Blower and rake would only move 2/3 of them, and stiff broom got most of the rest. 1hr to drop each tree, 1+ hr to clean up after chipping.

Had two trees kick my ass today. One large 28 dbh blue oak weight and lean over a house. And a butchered live oak 22 dbh massive side and back weight towards same house. Two pull lines in that one one one each side on the Y shape equalisedwith a pulley. Each end of a short hank of rope tied to it. Pulley in middle then a 2:1 pulling the loop. Landed perfect.
Both trees needed a 2:1 backed with wedges.
Had a buddy helping this morning. But the bigger of the two trees kicked his arse by 11:30 and he had to bail. Full sun on the od hwy before they moved it. Hit metal in both.
Two loads of chips out and a load of rakings. Wood left for new property owner thank the gods. Working on the new owers property with permission takeing trees down for his neighbor that are in the way of the fench. Bettrr to get them down before the fence goes up and cattle move in.
Rob and I finished the job ourselves. Maee for a good payday though.

I had an interesting phone call with a custy who owes a lot of munny. He’s not past due by any means he just wanted to let me know to not cash the check because he is overdrawn. So an hour goes by and he says he is good to go. We’ll see.

Took the day off to go on a field day with my middle child. Walking 2.5 miles in the rain and then getting crammed into a pavilion has to be the most relaxing thing in the world. Should’ve been rescheduled but the weatherman lied last night and the school believed it

Still sick after exposure to something last weekend which Dahlia caught from her classmates. Sweats, aches, coughing (mostly post nasal drip, some germs moving downward into my lungs), chills, minimal appetite, hiccups for long periods, maybe something to do with the coughing.

Laid on my belly on a pillow yesterday to stop the hiccups. Never heard of that. I'm about to try again.

I'm hoping its not covid. 3 negatives with low accuracy rapid-tests, waiting on PCR. My GF's friend had several symptomatic, false-negatives from rapid tests before the PCR came back positive.

Not even feeling like riding on the mower.

Lowered all this out just Rob and I. 6 hours and got it down to this. Dead dead. Almost crispy. Waiting to hear if crane will meet me out here one end of day and pick it out. If he blows me off, Ill make a fuggin crane out of the large pondo and drift them out into the LZ and keep the crane money. 20220520_150956.jpg 20220520_151016.jpg Plumbing everywhere under this POS cypress. 6+ yards of chips just from the brush. Damn thing rained needles all day. Damn fire hazard.

I didn't want to give that a thumbs up, but it's still better than work right?
Turned into a nice afternoon. Well just in time for us to walk back. Still better than work even though there were moments I wasn’t sure.
Picked up 10 more IBC totes and now I’m giving my parent’s neighbor’s garden a few minutes to air dry before I run the tiller over it again. There is no rest for the wicked

I spent the most of the last two days on my knees, clearcutting a miniforest of bamboo. The homeowner planted just two sprouts in 2006, thinking that a small bamboo hedge will be a cool background for the closest part of her backyard. Now, she's desesperate. Despite some attempts to control it, this shit invaded the garden. In 16 years, the bamboo grew up to a irregular patch of 70' x 50'. Some family troubles kept her away from this home for 6 years and that didn't help at all. In such a short time, the accessible part of the garden was reduced to a little square of grass. All the area around the bamboo is covered by a thick mass of brambles with a good participation of wisteria, clematis and an other invader vine. Incredible.

But the master chief here is the bamboo. Even the brambles give way in front of the bamboo's colonisation. Thousands of sprouts from a half hinch to an inch and half, killing every other quieter species. I found nothing leafy under them, the ground is completly bare. In a sens, that helped for the cutting, as I had to go very close to the ground to make the area walkable again. Slow process, I have to come back for an other day to finish and cut other stuf.
The ms150T did well, but alaping the sprouts was hard for the chain.
So, next step for her, getting ride of the piles of brambles and bamboo. No fire alowed, no access for my chipper (step stairs) and very few money to begin with (so I very probably won't be involved). Problem.
Then, mowing all the garden to keep an hand on the creasy growth, as no chimical are allowed (those effective at least). Later, asking to sneak a mini-ex over there to wreck the ground and the root mat. Just one of her problems. I feel for her.

Still sick after exposure to something last weekend which Dahlia caught from her classmates. Sweats, aches, coughing (mostly post nasal drip, some germs moving downward into my lungs), chills, minimal appetite, hiccups for long periods, maybe something to do with the coughing.

Laid on my belly on a pillow yesterday to stop the hiccups. Never heard of that. I'm about to try again.

I'm hoping its not covid. 3 negatives with low accuracy rapid-tests, waiting on PCR. My GF's friend had several symptomatic, false-negatives from rapid tests before the PCR came back positive.

Not even feeling like riding on the mower.
Sounds almost exactly like what I had. It took about two weeks to get back to normal.

Work with my loaned rodman the other day went pretty well. Not like it was difficult. Basically keep the bubble in the circle, and make sure the pole doesn't slip, but you'd be amazed at how some of the numpties I've had over the years struggle with this stuff. It helped that he was comfortable with heights. He was the one that helped mark the deflection points in the first place.

Yesterday, the day was winding down, and I get told the engineer's autocad is complaining about activation, and won't open drawings. Boss wants me to setup an old computer for him to get work done. Pull out a computer that /should/ work, but it doesn't turn on. PSU? WTH knows?! Get the computer I used to use out, but I have the graphics card in my machine, and I don't particularly want to give up my second monitor. Thinking.... Remember the old hard drive is still in the engineer's machine from when I set him up with an SSD, so I hook that up, and revert him back a year. Slow as shit, but he can get work done.

Success! I still need to figure out how I'm gonna handle getting the SSD back in. I'd like to edit whatever it is that made autocad complain about activation, and get on with life, but I'm not sure what that is. I might just backup the user data on it, and reimage the drive. It's friggin' bullshit. This is why I don't use proprietary software. It doesn't have "features" that prevent it from working. Our autocad is old as shit, but it's legit, and a lot of money was paid for it. When the engineer contacted support, they didn't really want to help cause the software's so old, and the chat session ended before their product was fixed. Almost 100% of the software I use is limitless, with the only reason it can't/won't do something is technical, and not a big 'frig you!' from some company.

Yes. Visibility sucks and the swing takes some finesse.
mini is acting up. Found a broken ground last night that was causing the operator presence switch to lock me out. Now all of the sudden it wants to be jump started. Maybe I fried the alternator or battery somehow while chasing down the broken wire. It also was randomly just shutting off. Could have a dead short somewhere. Don’t feel like chasing wires tonight and can’t remember where I placed the multi meter so it will wait.
other than that, it was a great day

I kind of enjoy using my brushcutter, but that's a steel blade tearing shit up, including small trees. Weedwhips are irritating. Seems like you always have to dick with the head to keep it going, and then you run out of string.

Back