How'd it go today?

TriState Bird Rescue and Rehabilitators (TSBRR) was started by Lynn Frink back in 1976. I volunteer on the renesting team. I got a text this morning that said there was a RSHA (Red-Shouldered HAwk) needing to go back to a nest. The nest site was a good fifty minutes drive northeast of where I live. It was found on the ground last weekend, transported to TSBRR, where a veterinarian does a full physical assessment, measurements, and blood work, it is fed, and when it’s determined to be fit goes back to the nest.

If the nest has collapsed we carry a wicker basket up, tie or bungee it in place, and fill it with pine needles to provide a safe nesting spot.

I get to the site early, set my line and ascend, assess the integrity of the nest, add sticks if needed, or install the wicker basket, and typically tie a spare line in a loop to haul up the returnee. The endless loop allows the ground crew to keep counter tension to avoid smacking the bird around on the way up.

The transporter takes a pillow case sized bag with an inserted drawstring, places a bag of food (mice and small birds (today it was starlings) in the bottom of it, with a folded top sheet over the food bag so their talons won’t tear through, and then the little one(s) is(are) placed into the bag, closed and carabinered to a cow hitch in the second line.

Once I get the bag up to me I untie it, gently place the young bird into the nest, then hang and drape the mice and feed birds around the general vicinity, take a few photos, and get out of Dodge!

the two RSHAs still in the nest today were very skittish and I was afraid they too would leave the nest as they backed up as far as was possible away from me. As their brother came up in the bag he scolded in a loud manner, and the closer he came the louder he got, and the quieter the other two became, and they appeared to relax, and moved back toward me, curious about the bag.

1BB2B58E-D654-4CB5-948E-6C9110A48081.jpeg

As a father of ten, I can assure you the kids will continue to wreck stuff until they move out. And when they do move out, they'll leave half of their junk behind for you to deal with. jus sayin
I think I'll send the wifey with them. I would wager she's harder or as hard on stuff as they are.

Pat, that is awesome! As you might know, I did that for 13 years for the Central Florida Audubon Center Birds of Prey. We typically used a 2'x2' nest platform made of 1x4 lumber with a steel mesh floor. I would screw it in place with 2-3 deck screws. I no longer do that but have recruited a buddy with a bucket truck to take my place. Climbing to do it is a lot more work.

Wow, that is awesome and sounds very smoothly and professionally done.

Don't hesitate to post more pics of it!

Busy solo day today. Dumped chips at a custy's house to start, then went to fellow firefighter's friend's house to chip up the 2 dead green ash he toppled over the weekend. Then came home, yelled at the insurance troll for 20 mins during lunch, then headed out w/the stump grinder on the Dingo to do a neighbor of a friend, then back to the chip job in the am for her 2 stumps. They were a little bigger then expected, so need to go finish the bigger one over the weekend. She paid me up front and was so happy with what I did, I sold her on another $3K of work to be done at my leisure over the next few weeks.

:dance:

Boss had a meeting, so I went down to a big black oak to remove a couple limbs getting ready to drop it some time in the future. The limbs would have probably buried due to the angle.

Before...

IMG_20220518_082429694_HDR.jpg
After...

IMG_20220518_105625282_HDR.jpg

I haven't been on spurs in forever, and this was the girthiest tree(3.2'DBH) I've ever spurred. I wasn't super comfortable up there. My flipline was maxed out at the start, and I was having issues advancing it up due to the rough bark and girth. I'm gonna have to reflect a bit on that. Farther up when I got a bit of slack to play with, I think I should have let more out, then snap it smartly up the tree. I'm used to smaller diameters where I don't have to work the line exclusively. I can grab the stem and drag the line up with me.

Used my 42cc poulanpro. That's *not* a good in-tree saw. I'd have preferred my cs400. Bulky and heavy for the power provided.

Boss has percs tomorrow, but my construction client wants us out there to shoot beams. They suggested supplying me a rodman to get it done. I didn't /have/ to accept, but gotta keep the project moving, eh? Years ago I spent a lot of time trying to teach numpties, and sometimes working with non surveying personnel, and it sucks. My anxiety level is 8/10. Their guys are pretty good, but they aren't surveyors, and I doubt I'll be getting the best and brightest... Oh, well. We'll see, but I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. I might go out today, and do a bit of brushcutting on the farm.

What are you using for a flip line? I like 5/8” or 3/4” wire core or a good hard lay 3 strand. Pull up and in and give it a solid roll. The roll really helps on big trees. Loose bark sucks and has its own hazards, shits heavy!

I got lucky yesterday.
Was bringing some monbey to a guy about 1 hours drive away.
I was running late, so I took the bike and did some spirited driving on the freeway running close to 120 MPH.
Got to the town, dropped the money off and on the way out of town, as I was doing maybe 15 MPH, the bike started wobbling like crazy.
Turned out the mechanic had not tightened the 4 outer wheel bolts, so only the one in the middle was left and it had come almost out.
Got AAA to bring me home and was happy it didn't happen on the freeway or on the way to Austria on friday.
Dropping your rear wheel at 120 MPH is not a good thing.

The mechanic is hugely embarrassed.
I've promised him to bring it up every time I see him :lol:

a lawn nazi custy.

Lordy I don't care for folks like that, I just finished up with one last week. Among other things, I removed the biggest magnolia ever, it was 24" just below DBH, at least 40' tall, he wanted less leaves to rake and more sun to lawn. Imo: ignoramus.

Btw, this was on a huge property, plenty of room for everything to co exist. But no, this wacko needs more lawn.

Hope everything come up clear Mike.

Did some brushcutting. Boss' daughter called me over, and wanted me to clear under a "bush". That bush was a huge pile of some kind of vine(honeysuckle?) and wisteria. I cleared out everything that wasn't wisteria, and told her to look online for ideas about handling wisteria. It's an ungainly thing right now. It doesn't have anything to climb on. I spent a couple hours on that stupid thing :^D

Back