The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

How'd it go today?

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Nerves are shot for today. The spar will remain till Monday. Nasty crotched section of log came in a lot higher than we calculated. All went smoothly and under control, but too many red lights for me
My crane guy says it wouldn't be treework if buzzers weren't going off :lol: :rockhard: :lol:;)

BeerGeek

Tree Numbnutz
Finished up 6 different estimates, and did some recon on getting new rubber for the Ford (not looking forward to that bill). International is also due for maintenance, which always ends up in 4 figure land. Looking forward to June when I have full time summer help so bill paying isn't so "hectic".

Add-on: Fun little 65", twin stem walnut straddled by utility lines on both sides. One of the estimates I got the green light for today:

sobi_walnut.jpg

Last edited:

flushcut

TreeHouser
Hahaha! Yeah...I actually feel pretty good this morning.

Maybe I was 11/16ths instead of 13/16ths!

Dad definitely has some impairment. Visited him this morning.
The booze only compounds the stress. That’s my experience anyway. You don’t need to hold it. Anyway! I hope his recovery is full and quickly.

Doctors are saying that with time and rehab he should recover.

Going to be a long time however. Got a lot of doctoring to do for a while.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

lxskllr

Treehouser
Truck went in the shop today. Did a couple simple jobs before the rain started. Went to my office project and extracted a couple logs that were deeply buried. Took almost all I had to get them out with my cant hook. Every time I go over there, I want to kick the guy in the balls that shoved all that stuff around.

Aside from those logs, I didn't do much. My back was iffy today, and I didn't want to push it. Sat on the bench I made, and contemplated the trees I'm gonna thin out. Pretty sure a young squirrel fell out of a tree while I was sitting there. I heard something hit the ground kinda hard. I didn't give it much thought, cause there's a lot of branches the vines trapped, and are probably releasing after I cut the vines, but a minute later, I squirrel about the size of a guinea pig tentatively go up a tree near me, and I didn't see him come from anywhere on the ground. I think that's what I heard fall.

SeanKroll

Treehouser
Finished up 6 different estimates, and did some recon on getting new rubber for the Ford (not looking forward to that bill). International is also due for maintenance, which always ends up in 4 figure land. Looking forward to June when I have full time summer help so bill paying isn't so "hectic".

Add-on: Fun little 65", twin stem walnut straddled by utility lines on both sides. One of the estimates I got the green light for today:

View attachment 120610
How is the world of sales and estimating going for you? Had you sold tree work or other things before you started your biz?

pigwot

Marlee's, Juniper's, and Lowen’s Grandpa
Jim,
Hope your Dad recovers well.

Mike,
With those TOH’s: when I was doing the coursework for the Pennsylvania Dept of Agriculture permit for SLF ID and inspection their recommendation was leaving one female TOH, treated with a systemic as a “lure” tree. That can kill off a whole lot of Spotted Lanternflies.

pigwot

Marlee's, Juniper's, and Lowen’s Grandpa
Got a new front-control dryer and glued up a laminate-covered work surface for over the washer & dryer. The piece of ash I used for the front edge came from a tree I took down back when EAB was first killing trees north of us.

It’s intended to be a place to ‘fold laundry’, but it’s likely to never again be this free of clutter.
We donated our old top-control dryer, along with two air conditioners and a vacuum cleaner to a group re-housing families who lost their jobs and homes due to the pandemic.

8C00C341-D7E9-40D2-96DC-B16677706C5A.jpeg
52572F2D-D1B4-4BF8-A2F1-1B2D25E970F1.jpeg

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
Been zipping around on the bike today, doing estimates, buying maps and exchanging Kroner to Euro at the airport.
Now I'm packing the bike.
We leave for some high alpine driving in Austria on friday.

Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse has been on my motorcycle bucket list for a while.

I have 11 other pass roads lined up for us to try, so if the weather holds up, it should be a fine trip.

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
There is a map store in Copenhagen.
Has everything from simple road maps of every country in the World to historical maps if one wants to see how the World used to be.
I drive by GPS, but for an overview I like a map.
I haven't been to Austria since Der Mauer fell in 89, so it is pretty much new territory for me.

lxskllr

Treehouser
Historical maps sound interesting. I'd like to have a store like that around here. A project I've been thinking of is overlaying old quad sheets on top of a modern map(digital) to see how things used to be, and how they compare. Not sure how accurate the old stuff is. Might be hopeless trying to reconcile the two.

lxskllr

Treehouser
I got groceries. That was my big accomplishment. @pigwot, I got you some bugs. I put that oak in a bag, and just took a look. There's a few in there...

IMG_20220514_172900707.jpg

BeerGeek

Tree Numbnutz
How is the world of sales and estimating going for you? Had you sold tree work or other things before you started your biz?
My parents were both salespeople, so it kind of runs in the family. I get plenty of referrals, but about 2/3 of my estimates go nowhere due to competition/pricing. I avoid pricing too low just to get the job. My rep is building, and am starting to get more repeat customers. Thankfully most of my customers are patient, as it's tough scheduling with limited help.

SeanKroll

Treehouser
That's is supposed to be a good ball park for cold calls.

Repeat customers are easier and easier with every passing job leaving them happy.

Sounds like your dance card is full.

The calibration of estimated time versus real job time is challenging.

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Oh, we saw some bison today between Lolo and Florence. Have you ever considered raising them?
Large discussion here re raising buffler:

lxskllr

Treehouser
Did a short rec climb today at a Tree-O-Cache site...

IMG_20220515_113239775_HDR.jpg

Pretty nice tree. I think it's a swamp chestnut oak. My new rainbow bridge works good. Same as the old bridge of course, but I like the way it looks.

Found a tiny engorged tick on me after I got home. That came from work. I felt it yesterday, right behind my arm. I started digging at it today, and got the body off at least. You don't get this bullshit in my weather. No mosquitoes, no ticks, no skin cancer, and we won't even mention the stupid grass. Why is summer good again?

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!