How'd it go today?

Cleaned up the dead and sorted crossing branches(many!) in a maple accessed from a nearby hickory. It occurred to me about 3/4 of the way through that I’ve reached a point where I’m completely comfortable (60’) aloft. I completely trusted my gear, the tree, and my skills. I was thinking multiple moves ahead without trying. Whatever I wanted to do, I could. It’s kinda hard to explain but you all know what I mean. Next step it’s to get that way with rigging as well as 100’+ heights.

Didn't do much today. Broke up some kindling sticks, got started on my wood hut, and split/stacked the cherry from yesterday. It's officially changing of the hats day. This is the bad one. I go from dark colors and semi water resistance to light colors with more breathability...

IMG_20220424_174634.jpg

That'll be it til October :^(

Just kinda works out that way. I haven't found non military BDUs that come close to the quality of genuine issue. There's always something wrong with them. Like my winter hat above with the generic camo. It's an alright hat, and fine for what I paid at the thrift shop, but it isn't military spec, and it shows. Stitching on the brim is coming undone, and the fit isn't spec fit. The crown's too high. Made in USA, but it still kinda sucks.

Genuine issue from the thrift shop is also magnitudes cheaper. Average price I paid for pants is $7. I have enough to outfit a platoon at this point. When they changed over to multicam, the thrift shop got flooded with the old universalcam, so I picked up a ton of clothes. Probably have enough for the rest of my life at this point, but if I see other patterns I like, I'll probably pick them up. I'd like to have a multicam just to check it out, and the chocolate chip desert pattern(my summer hat above) is probably my favorite US pattern. They all use my favorite colors. If I were offered mil spec quality at no cost(or same cost as the thrift shop), I'd get solid OD for winter use, and desert tan for summer.

I'm too cheap for that! I could get ~8 pair of thrift shop pants for the price of one pair of those :^D

Also, looking at the tactical pants, they seem to be poly/cotton not nylon/cotton, and they're imported. Dunno. I also like the newer cargo pockets on the universal cam pants. They have velcro tabs(which suck. They were later replaced with the proper buttons), but they have an adjustable bungie, so you can fill the pockets, have them fairly secure, but are still able to pull stuff out quickly. I'd checkout the 5.1s if I could see them in person, but it's hard to compete with battle tested $7 pants.

Went down to where we camp today for clean up. Four adults and four kids worked almost 8 hours but we got all the winter storm mess cleared up and burnt. Also shortened the grass while we were there. Still have to do a lot of work on some of the trails. One newer trail is probably going to be abandoned. It’s to steep for the kids to ride on anyhow
5DE90FA5-01C9-4E19-9262-B59E1380C8CC.jpeg EC450051-0210-4418-9D8C-A8AAF2BF94F2.jpeg
what a mess. I’m only going to cut enough to open them for riding. He’s looking to get it logged this year so there really is no sense in cleaning up to much. Gonna have plenty of firewood this year though.

They make flame retardant uniforms, but they'll still burn through. You just won't be turned into a torch. The flame retardant variety also isn't nearly as durable. Something look out for if you're buying. They're rayon/nylon I believe, and if I remember right, a pocket is marked with a solid swatch so you can tell them apart from the regular issue. I'd avoid them unless you especially want those qualities.

Yeah, i pretty much just wear duck canvas working as a fitter, most often in bib form, sparks just bounce off it. It's about the only thing I've found that holds up to that kind of work day in day out. But the proper brand pants are great for anything else, and are great for climbing and stuff.

Did a couple easy jobs, then went back to the office and setup the secretary's new computer. Mostly anyway. She'll have to install a couple programs herself. Went out to split some more cherry, but my maul handle broke. It was crappy anyway, and has been on the verge of failing for awhile. Got home and made a new one out of a hickory branch...

IMG_20220425_172711.jpg

Cracked it putting it on. I get impatient, and force it driving it on, and it hangs up on a high spot and cracks. It'll due for the time being, and this'll be a good test of using branch handles. Better than the old one in any case.

Another couple easy crane removals today. Spend more time getting cars moved than anything. We hammered out the second one real quick trying to beat the rain. Backed into the shop just as it let loose. I take today as a win against Mother Nature. Now it’s done and I’m going to try to get some stuff done around the house.

That crane sounds like money. Literally.

What capacity and boom length is it again? If memory serves, I'm saying 90 or 95' boom, 35t cap.

Wish we could have got a crane on this one today. Mariposa Palm tree by 2 hours. First load of chips out. 6 hours all lowered out and negative blocked down. Just logs to haul out tomorrow and some raking. All of us had to be else where by 4 pm so not a late day. Took the top at 100 feet. That top you see got smaller before that. Sub crew did great and Rob lowered the harder stuff. Not so much stem slapping this trip. Frank did good on the big wood after Rob did more instruction. IMG_6094.JPG

Back