How'd it go today?

That crane sounds like money. Literally.

What capacity and boom length is it again? If memory serves, I'm saying 90 or 95' boom, 35t cap.
95’ 40ton. It’s earning its keep and hopefully paying for the next one soon enough. Hoping in about a year and a half to get a 40-50 ton with 127’ of main boom. 95’ gets a lot of what we do but I still end up short a lot. Also I have to get within a 30’ radius for a lot of the trees. That usually means two set ups as I need to clear one side out to get close enough to reach the back side.

Boss had percs, so I had the day to myself. I worked on the office project for a few hours. Rearranging the deck chairs mainly. I hand dragged some smaller logs to where I've been ditching them, stacked sticks neat(ish)ly to create paths. and pulled bittersweet up by the roots. I could really use a chipper. Not sure where I'm going with it all, but maybe the trails will look decent. If not, at least the stuff is collected. Also got a feel for the trees I'm gonna thin out.

Welcome to Sitka, Alaska. I'm putting on a training workshop for the Alaska region saw instructors this week. Tomorrow and Thursday will be the field days and there will be some challenging falling scenarios to work through. I'll get some pictures to share. Meanwhile here's a few tourist photos from town.

Pioneer Home for seniors.
IMG_20220426_191134_HDR.jpg

Russian Orthodox church in the town square.
IMG_20220426_191430_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220426_191554_HDR.jpg

Yesterday David got to stand on spikes and cut while I got to ride the 55 ton long boom. Had to use the 260 ft rope to zip down after setting slings in a tall poplar. Also finished the poles from two trees from the day before, and ended the day a few miles away lifting a tangled mess of a split, codominant locust out of a sassafras and a maple on either side of it.
6023DC70-36D5-405D-B190-7522E8C5B1D7.jpeg
View attachment trim.F808622D-F4C1-457A-AAD9-A7210331F06F.MOV

Sitka looks like a nice little town. Austin I've read several books that tell of native children being sent to school in Sitka......could that Pioneer Home for Seniors be the same building as the old native school?

Finished dropping the fir from that multi-conifer fiasco I've described the past few posts. Nothing like being 60' up in a sappy mess with. 20-30 mph winds blowing me and the 30+' multi-stemmed tops all the wrong way. Almost lost one the other way, but was smart enough to get a tag line 15' up for the brush monkeys to pull back on. Will be heading back Friday to dispose of the wood and reclaim Dingo. Need to spend tomorrow am in my neighbors trees while I have a live body on the ground, then have to run errands to get a bunch of things fixed. Never-ending fun!....

Broke the crane today. Spent a good bit of time finding a mechanic who could get to it quickly. Dang A2B cable locked me out. I was getting goofy readings and couldn’t extend all the way. Bounced the spool a few times and that angered a sensor is my guess. Rigged two trees out conventionally this afternoon getting seven down total. Have two more tomorrow to finish the job. Hoping mech can have me up and running in an hour or so

Back