How'd it go today?

Too bad you don't have a bigger hook to go direct to the handrail or clip into the manufacturer recommended triangle at the midrail. I don't know if I like that orientation if your bodyweight were to drop onto it in the event of an accident. Sorry to play safety guy on you. Just tell me to piss off as you need.:thumb:

I didn't see the triangle there. One of my biners would have fit the rail I think, but I don't like using my good aluminum biners on steel. I don't usually get lift rides, so I'm not that familiar with them. I don't really like them tbh. Not sure which I dislike more, ladders or lifts. Nether leave me feeling particularly stable and secure.

Ended up getting 4 picks in on the monster and the lightning and thunder rolled in. Got soaked packing up the crane and cleaning up. Drove with windows open cause the cab fogged up something fierce. Got home to find an extra child in the house. My nephew that can’t sit still or be quiet for more than a blink. I need to figure out how to siphon his energy. Made him some popcorn ( I have popcorn magic) and he’s calmed down a good bit. Somehow I managed to get some trailer and camper parts in my cart but don’t feel like going to get my card to order them. Also found the rack I want for the kayaks. Tonight was productive.

I got the Arbor Tank ready for paint. Fielded three calls for estimates. Arranged with a general contractor to look at a lot clearing on Wednesday. It could be a big one, yet to be determined. It’s a ten acre lot soooo… hopefully they want it all manicured.

Back in the '70s a bunch of my nutball friends put in the lower Niagara River at Devil's Hole on tubes. Whirlpools as big as a house. Nucking futs.
Nope nope nope.
I’m intimately familiar with Devils Hole. In the 90s, that was our favorite place to party and eat mushrooms. Avoid the cave when the trip is really in full swing. Those bats can mess with a fella. Neat spot to party because there’s not a cop in his right mind that’s gonna walk down all those stairs to mess with someone. The walk back up with someone in cuffs could very well be impossible if someone wanted to resist a little. They might hang out up top and wait for the kids though. Sneaky coppers.

Those rapids and whirlpools though... hell no. Every now and then someone dies in that water. “ hey where’d what-his-name go? He was just standing there.”
Last year it was a 15 year old boy from Sanborn. Very sad. Enjoy the hike, but avoid that water.

You would not catch me getting on a tube and jumping in. A local deputy sheriff organized the deal and let authorities know what was going to happen and look the other way. I think they did it twice. I know the deputies family and will ask. I think there were 20 or 30 of them that did it.

I have had respect and fear of that river since crossing the old Lewiston-Quenston plank suspension bridge. The planks were just loose in place by the sound when you drove over. Once I remember there was a plank pulled out or broke through and they just had a saw horse to alert you to drive around.
You had a great view from that bridge. Not like the bridges today. It was just cables with nothing to block vision. Scary looking down there.

Then there was the nuts you would see out there walking on the ice. Another thing I would never do.

Last edited:
Saw a young eagle on my shit job today...

IMG_20220412_120914172.jpg

Looked a little gimpy, so boss called dnr, and they came and got it...

IMG_20220412_151156386.jpg

Mom was flying overhead, and didn't like it much, but she kept to herself. I didn't get a 'catpture' image, cause I didn't want to get in the guy's face. I also didn't see the capture cause I wanted to give the guy room. He got it quick though, and it's still a pretty big bird. I was within 20' of it earlier before it scampered off. Kinda cool.

Only my second grading job since buying my Avant. I wasn't having much luck using the bucket so I put the root rake back on and back dragged this plateau left by the guys who installed the drainfield 3 years ago. The sides were so steep you couldn't even mow the grass. I only have 2 hours in it so far, three loads of dirt are coming to raise up the low area. I hope it's enough. I will try to scrape off a bit more off the top with the bucket. I think I have plenty of depth before hitting the drainfield.

Message_1649784784264.jpg Message_1649784933212.jpg

Well, it must be avian day today. Was out doing estimates and ended up on friend's patio after doing the walkthrough on their trees, having tasty beverages when a bald eagle flew about 30 feet above our heads; did 2 passes, and I swear, the span on that thing was easily 5 feet. Friends said they have 3 or 4 nesting pairs in the area; big and beautiful.

Spent a good part of yesterday helping Jeb's sister (the friend who had the stroke) gather up some of his antiques: very old musket and powder horn, antique furniture, and other valuables from his home. Also loaded up tools, ladders, ladder jacks, picks, compressors, nail guns, saws, Hilti SDS hammer drill, and other tools to list on craigslist for sale to raise funds for him. Installed a few heavy locks on two room doors at house so sister and his daughter can store items to remove later.
Ended day by picking up a load of mulch with Jose, who will spread it for the neighbor lady. Off to the cabinet shop today to finish a run of cabinets, and set up the slab flattening mill for a very nice 20" by 120" piece of walnut that came from Jeb's family's farm. When the farm was sold he has hauled it around to each place he has lived. I'll make an approximately 34" x 56" live-edged table out of it for him. Even if he is unable to use it himself, he'll be able to give it to his daughter as a family memory/heirloom.

I painted the gable on my barn today, standing on a VERY tall ladder.
Had to laugh at myself. I've climbed some of the tallest trees in the World, but get completely shaky on a tall ladder.
I used a homemade concoction of linseed oil, wood tar and black pigment.
Holds up to the weather a really long time and is fairly cheap to make.

The tar gives it a nice maritime smell, like old sailing ships.
I bet Fiona would have loved to help out.

Thais did his faithful dog impression and laid right under me the whole time, so I had to be extra careful about drips, so I didn't turn him into a dalmatian.

Extension ladders are especially terrible, but tying them off up top (if you can) helps dramatically. I've heard horror stories of guys falling and getting tangled up as they land, basically turns it into a breaking wheel.

When I need to use a tall ladder, I've taken to setting tension lines about halfway up, one on each side of the ladder and run at an angle away from the ladder, down and towards the structure I'm working on. Gently balance tension on each side alternately and equally, and it really stabilizes the ladder.

I regret getting a combo SSD/HDD computer because the HDD doesn't run all the time, but unnecessarily starts up when not in use causing the computer to momentarily freeze. Not good if some sort of recording is going on.

Back