How'd it go today?

Moved my 24' trailer from out back today before we get any real rain. It needs to be were i can use a it before May or June :|:
Then after I was done with that deed that needs the 4x4, i took the 4x4 over to the shop. New inner tie rods and front shocks. Leaf spring bushings finally arrived. Now I can schedule the alignment before new tires ;)
Probably go make a calf shelter out of a water tank next. Just need to add bracing and flip it over

Finished installing my air bags on the pickup this morning. Second side took about half the time of the first side. With 50 lbs of air it sits right up about 3" higher. It will be nice not dragging my rear bumper on the ground when pulling the trailer.

Last edited:
I need something for my F450. With the service body loaded with tools, the Avant, grapple, and bucket in the bed, plus a 14K trailer, it sits pretty low. Which brand did you get, Brian?

Air Lift, but the Firestone kits have a good reputation as well.

Go here and fined your specific kit

And then search the part number on Google or Amazon to get your best price. IMO Amazon is always competitive and the fast, free shipping and easy returns (if there's a problem) make it an easy choice. But you can't search parts on Amazon unless you have a part number.

Started the day by spilling water in my keyboard, and I'm currently using a backup. Then my eyeglasses came apart, and I found the screw was stripped, then promptly lost it, and I'm currently using a backup...

Went to work to deal with some of the wood I hauled out. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it all. Still have a bunch of logs that need to be moved. I;m gonna have to take a cruise of the farm, and see if there's an interesting place to put them. Cutting them into 18" rounds is kicking my ass when it comes time to move them.

I used the Firestone kit. My airbags are fourteen years old this December, and show no cracking or wear. I top them up to between 70psi and 100psi when I have a heavy load to haul, and reduce the pressure to about 30psi for long trips when unloaded for comfort. I also bought a gallon air tank, mini compressor, and the dash mountable dual pressure gauges and remote switches, but never installed them (laziness I guess).

I might look into similar air bags for hauling a dump trailer. Thanks.

Started the day by spilling water in my keyboard, and I'm currently using a backup. Then my eyeglasses came apart, and I found the screw was stripped, then promptly lost it, and I'm currently using a backup...

Went to work to deal with some of the wood I hauled out. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it all. Still have a bunch of logs that need to be moved. I;m gonna have to take a cruise of the farm, and see if there's an interesting place to put them. Cutting them into 18" rounds is kicking my ass when it comes time to move them.
Are you manually splitting?
If so, it might be nice to cut the shorter, making the work per piece less.

I loaded some pondorosa rounds up when i was out of town, and splitting them manually, to help out.

Cutting them shorter was a win for both.

Inconsequential material loss and equipment input... way better for me.
Ymmv

I'm just ditching them. The pine isn't worth much. Some of it's objectively absolute trash, and this is hardwood country around here. Someone would have to be pretty desperate to burn pine.

I did 18" rounds with the intention of stacking them upright to build a short wall for no particular purpose other than to do it. At least weeds and vines won't grow in the footprint. Put a bunch of cookies around the leatherleaf viburnum I planted in the spring. Same reason; to block weeds. That's doing surprisingly well. Made a rustic bench. I like those. They're easy :^D I told the boss to think of a place he needs to cross equipment or something, and I'd build a bridge. Pine isn't great for that, but it would last a little while, and it's free. He's too much of a spaz to settle down and think of where he needs a bridge.

Anyway, I'm losing my enthusiasm for making rounds. Some of them are pretty heavy. 18"x18" cylinders. Some are full of rot and fairly light, some are full of water and heavy as shit. The termites come at no extra charge :^P I've got a whole bunch of wood on the ground to handle yet, then probably another 100% more standing dead that I'll take down. Even if I don't handle those trees I was talking about in another thread, I have a bunch more that are more or less straight falls, though there's a couple I'm gonna have to be ready to run. They might come apart in the process of cutting.

Made grass shorter for the last time this year! It's the hap happiest season of all! Also stopped at the farm shop and got some winesap apples, the king of apples. My walnut trees dumped a shitton of nuts this year. Mowing back there was like mowing over big ball bearings. A bit of brush cleaup around the property, and I can start concentrating on more fun things. Work was routine. Nothing fun there...

Made good progress today on a three-day job. We might be able to finish tomorrow if we feel froggy. Cooler temps make it easier. 59*F this morning and 77 right now.
Dropped off 3 saws at the shop for repairs, 461, 462, and 660. Minor stuff but I don't have the time or motivation to mess with them.

Mmmm, winesaps. Pick them from a local farm up here every October, usually about 40 lbs. worth. Eat them plain and make plenty of Waldorf Salad with them. Nothing finer, but I may miss them this year (unless the local markets at least carry their close cousin, staymans. Yes there is a slight difference between the 2). Great sweet & sour apples that will stay fresh in the fridge for 2-4 months

How do you like that saddle. I haven't seen one of those in a while

Second Tree Austria Ive owned. Only complaint I have are the strap adjustments dont stay where I want. Loosen up over some hours climbing. Otherwise, great saddle that also is rated for fall arrest with the suspunders. So I can take a bucket up with a rope and climb out as needed. No need for two harnesses. Need suspenders to keep any saddle on me anyway as I suffer from "no ass at all" and they still no vaccine for that.

Back