How'd it go today?

Had to turn down a major job today.
One of our numerous castles had a hazard tree, that they had ignored. It fell, apparently with some bad rersults ( I only have the story 3rd hand)
So the county told them to deal with all the sketchy trees in those parts of their forests that bordered other people's land.........pronto!
My forwarder guy, with his beastly Ponnse Bufallo with the felling head on it was asked to do the job.
Apparently it involves pulling some very bad, very large trees away from houses.
So he told the national forestry cooperation that is in charge of it, that if he couldn't get me or Richard as fallers, he simply wouldn't do the job.
( Stuff like that does wonders for one's reputation :D)

I was supposed to start, as soon as I got home from my motorcycle trip.

Well, they had to get permission for us to drive and work in the rough on a golf course.
As of yesterday, they still hadn't got it, so I told them I was not available for the rest of the year.
Gotta put your foot down, sometimes, or the big companies just get used to pushing you around.

And my calendar is over full, so it was a cheap thrill.

That's cool. I love the name of the book. I got something in the mail yesterday that is all about moving lots of parts. I've been working on this for years with some other folks and just got the proof yesterday.

Attachments

• 20211013_170354.jpg
    20211013_170354.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20211013_170546.jpg
    20211013_170546.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211014_103454.jpg
    20211014_103454.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211013_163039.jpg
    20211013_163039.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20211013_163110.jpg
    20211013_163110.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 7
Just got back from a job that was absolutely infested with spotted lantern flies. Weird thing is this is a job I've been spending a ton of time at, and this was the first day I saw them. Kept getting hit by /something/, but when I'd look, I didn't see anything. Finally saw one flying off, and when I got to the truck, there were a bunch on the pavement. I killed at least a dozen today. Dunno how many thousands are left :^( They might beat EAB for beauty. A shame they're little assholes.

I posted a few weeks ago about the first I saw ever outside a tacobell. I thought "Well, maybe it isn't so bad. Might have been a straggler". Then today, I saw all his buddies. When they're flying away, the red spot on their butts is pretty prominent.

Routine day. Asbuilt stormwater management again in lanternfly hollow, but I didn't see a single one. I guess they aren't on that part of the property?

Talked to the boss about severely reducing a willow on the farm. Beavers chewed the bottom, and the tree's doing terribly. I want to remove the limbs that are threatening the drive, and the fence. Fairly substantial limbs. It needs to get done while it can still be climbed. He said maybe next week. We'll see. Should be fun. Not sure I even need him, but someone should be on the ground to keep people away if nothing else. Might need to rig the ones over the fence. Gotta look at it.

edit:
Oh, I've been digging those hickory nuts I picked up. I think they might be finest nuts available in the US. Too bad they're such a PITA to shell. It would be a close race keeping ahead of starvation if all you had were hickory nuts :^D

Last edited:
Availability of food influences technological development. There is a tribe in New Guinea whose food source is the pulp of some tree. It takes so much energy to prepare the food, that there isn't enough food leftover for someone to specialize in something like tool making or hut building.

Funny how that works. You need help and all of a sudden those you helped in the past are"busy"

Be more Yorkshire

The most common stereotype of a Yorkshire person is as tight with money: there is a British saying that "a Yorkshireman is a Scotsman with all the generosity squeezed out of him", which references how Scots are also stereotyped as being tight but not as tight as Yorkshire folk. This stereotype can also be seen in the Yorkshireman's Motto:

'Ear all, see all, say nowt;Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt;And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt –Allus do it fer thissen.[5]
Translation: "Hear all, see all, say nothing; Eat all, drink all, pay nothing; And if ever you do anything for nothing – always do it for yourself."

Been a while since I saw that Stig - funny but shite accents. The accent I remember as a kid is all but dead. Diluted by the modern world. if anyone is bothered, I found this poem about my home town Huddersfield, in the dialect I grew up with. Sadly I had to loose it after moving away as I might as well have spoke Martian 🤪

That was fine.
Thanks Pete.
Same thing here, the old dialects are disappearing.

My Swiss wife and I were on an Island in south western part of Denmark this summer, having breakfast in a nice little cafe.
An old lady asked me if her wheel chair was in the way, she got to talking with my wife, and was speaking the nicest Rigsdansk ( The common tounge)
Then she turned to her family at the next table, and in the old Sønderjyske dialect probably told them about my wife being swiss, but neither her or I understood a word she said.
I absolutely loved that.

And then the Yorkshire dialect gets even broader. My mothers family originate from North Yorkshire.

Farmers from up in the dales, James Herriot country. They grew up in a farm near a place called Chopgate, yet in their dialect is is pronounced Chopyat! They then moved to a village not too far from Pete called Great Ayton. Yet in their dialect it is called Canny Yatton.

Certainly is. More than some people realise.

Dales for hills.
Beck for a small stream.
Bairn for a small child.

Plus a lot of geordie slang that isn’t a million miles away from Norwegian.

Edit: video won’t play on here. But click on the link to watch it on YouTube. That is what some of my older uncles talk like amongst themselves when their pissed.

Last edited:
Back