How'd it go today?

Project today was a bunch of 2" screwed pipe, so i spent the day pulling on pipe wrenches and threading pipe. Didn't have the right size nipples so i had to make up a nipple chuck to turn em, personally i prefer to make them myself because they have better threads. Hoping to put some time in this weekend welding on my projects, maybe even have it functional and see what it can do.

Just a snapshot of my day, i hardly ever participate in this thread cause i do different stuff. A nipple (small piece of pipe) chuck is used to cut your own nipples in a pipe threader, basically it holds the piece by 1 sides threads while you cut the other. Without it the jaws of the vise or threader chuck will mess the threads up. The nice thing is that you can make whatever size you need, so you can do a better job. Speaking of which i need to hunt down my dies, I'll be using them this weekend.

Last edited:
Man, that looks nice.
I did a little solo job dismantling a small Elm for an old client today.
Easy little job, but that was my first real attempt at climbing since I broke my ankle in february.
It went fine but I suspect a 3 toed Sloth could have done it faster.

I have a harborfreight pancake compressor. I don't use it a lot, but it works every time I need it.

Boss has been whining about his arm for awhile, and it turns out he has a torn tendon in his elbow. I'll be running the pole for the foreseeable future now. That's fantastic! I don't like just standing behind the gun. Today's gone pretty smoothly all things considered, but the job we did was easy. My jobs require more computer tricks behind the gun, and it's easier to screwup. Haven't had to teach anyone in awhile. He's not the dumbest I've dealt with, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Got to skid a util pole stub ~.25mi this afternoon. That was pretty fun. I usually only get to skid 100'-200', and switch pulleys around, mind prusiks, and generally have a pita time of it.

I also took down that dead spruce at work. I did a pretty good job with cut. It isn't perfect, but at least it isn't embarassing. My backcut was a hair low, but I was falling it into the lean, so no big deal. My face turned out really good. No bypasses, and I only had to make one extra cut to correct my angle cut. Still need to deal with the mess. Everything's in tidyish piles. Boss said he'd get it with the skid loader. I used my new poulan. Chain kept derailing. I kinda want to put some Stihl chain on it, but it doesn't deserve it. Figure I'll try to wear the trilink out, and see how it's holding up before I commit to giving it good chain.

20211011_132446.jpg 20211011_145013.jpg 20211011_145024.jpg

Just completed another basic chainsaw training course for emergency services...8 more competent,saw maintenance, trim and crosscut.
Remote Area bushfire course this weekend, last hurdle to make the cut...2.5 days, excited but some trepidation!

Back