How'd it go today?

Looks like it's about $300 for the parts. Dunno about the labor if I have the shop do the work. I'm gonna hold off on doing anything for the time being. I have two identical brushcutters, and I really only need one, so I can sit on it for awhile. Might be more useful for parts. I also /may/ get a Stihl fs460. That would be pretty frivolous, but I've been wanting to try a Stihl machine. I'd have to order it. No one around here keeps the big cutters in stock. The saw shop's near my little PA job, so I can stop in and ask next time I'm up there. Asking's free, and if I like the price I hear, and I'm low on self control that day, who knows... :^D

It can really get to my back, but today I was feeling great, which is rare. I was ~3.5hr in, and I wasn't ready to stop. Usually by 4hr, I'm done, but I bet I could have gone 5+ today. 5 would have finished the brushcutting on that project. It's kinda brainless work, but that's a nice change sometimes. Just kinda zone out and tear shit up. Not sure I'd want it to be my main tool day in, day out, but every so often, I pretty well enjoy it.

Now all the insurance begins. We had to go down and sign over the shell to the wrecking yard. Insurance adjuster screwed up our rental reservation. Got down there, they had no car reserved in the wrong name. Have to go back today since I take the lift back down there today. Maybe they'll actually have the car I reserved in person :|:

Felt good when I posted yesterday, but felt like shit last night, and couldn't get to sleep. My eyes were swollen and crusted over. Kinda photosensitive too. Felt a little better today, but still felt like I went through the ringer. Average day otherwise. Stopped at CVS, and got Moderna#1. They didn't have J&J after the fridge incident(of course), so I'll have to go back in a month to get the second. That's why I don't make plans. Plans never work out. Just wing it, and it's hard to be disappointed.

edit:
spelling

Last edited:
Into my first 24hr of the first dose of Moderna vaccine, and I feel... off... I feel a little run down, and my left ear feels like it's on the verge of infection. Is that the vaccine, or my brushcutting escapades? Don't know. That brushcutting kinda messed me up. I've worked harder for longer, and didn't have the same reaction I got the other day. That job was particularly "dusty"; I guess that's what you'd call it. My face shield would get so choked with debris, I could barely see out of it. Hand to wipe it off with my glove several times. That's never happened before. Y'all saw my face in the pic I posted. Dunno what I got into, but it didn't agree with me.

So, that's my day. Got up at 4am, did laundry, grocery shopping, took a nap, and just sitting around feeling meh :^/

Bad combo of factors. Probably the vax mostly, is my guess.

At least you got up at 4 am, the day wasn't a complete bust :rockhard:

Do you know how to care for blueberries? I have a bush out back, and never gave it much attention. It always produced well til a couple years ago. Berry production has been sparse since then. Is there something I should be doing(pruning maybe), weather conditions? bush just wearing out?

That's a possibility. I have(had) a dual feral cherry growing in the sunlight. I cut off one of the stems this past winter, and I was hoping that would give it more light. The other stem will probably come down this winter. I like the shade it puts on the back of the house, but it's messing up the masonry on my stairwell, and may be affecting the blueberries.

I don't /think/ so. We've been getting periods of nasty storms the last bunch of years, and if anything I might say it's too much water(without really knowing what blueberries like), but this spring was fairly normal for the most part. I can't remember last year. I think Sean might be on to something with the shade. That was kind of my feeling, and a big prompt into removing that stem. I thought that might improve things, but it didn't seem to help. *The other stem will most likely come down this winter, and I guess I'll know for sure. Well... Maybe not for sure. My walnuts have been steadily growing too, and it could be I just have too much shade in my backyard now, but I think elimination of the cherry will improve light conditions.

*While typing this, I reconsidered. I'll let the cherry bloom one last time. No point in getting rid of free flowers. That'll still allow enough time for the blueberries to collect light.

Do you know how to care for blueberries? I have a bush out back, and never gave it much attention. It always produced well til a couple years ago. Berry production has been sparse since then. Is there something I should be doing(pruning maybe), weather conditions? bush just wearing out?
I don't really do much with them since they are so prevalent up here but giving them good sun and periodic pruning can't hurt.

My eyes were swollen and crusted over.
Seing the pic of your face, I'm not surprised. Your eyes got a lot of tiny debris through and around the screen. Maybe no one was big enough to create an intruder's alarm at the moment, but the eyes have a lot of work to wash out all these particules. Mineral dust is bad enough, but vegetal fibers are worse because they can't free flow with the tears. It's like a carpet which need to be pushed away by the mucosis secretions. You can add a lot of microorganisms carried on these debris, and possibly some chimical agression by some of the plants you wrecked. I know one of them in my garden. It's a weed with thick leaves and an orange latex in them, traditionaly used to kill the warts. When I hit it with the weed wacker, it's like an instaneous discomfort and respiratory oppression.

Back