How'd it go today?

I’d like some kind of neat send off. Toss me in the woods to feed the crows or something. Crows are neat birds. Fam probably not on board though.
I heard they do that in Tibet. Sky burial.

Maybe toss me out of a helicopter over somewhere populated, dressed in a Superman costume.

Sounds like a Tibetan sky burial is what you're looking for. Watch at your own risk. I picked the video based on title, and didn't preview it...

Long day in the humidity here in the armpit of America. Started by trying to sneak into a friend's driveway to remove 3 spindly sugar maples that keep dumping sap on his cars. Pull into his street and find 3 Nelson trucks lining up for ROW work, and they were taking their sweet time to get moving, so that got kiboshed until tomorrow. Then drove across town to start a sizable maple removal with a couple of leftover prunes from earlier this year. Maple was about 75ft high, and about 80ft wide, and was being removed due to a major split at the base (see pics in Official Work Pics thread). Started by dropping 2 huge limbs off the maple for brush monkey 1 to cut up and haul over to chipper in driveway, while BM2 and I pruned the Cherry and Redbud in front of the house. Got almost half the Maple on the ground by lunch, and there was a deformed Pin Oak behind it as an add-on that I was planning to use as falling practice for the noobs and which was blocking the drop of one of the Maple limbs. Took BM2 over to let him fall it, and as he positions himself for the notch cuts, he steps right into a nest of yellow jackets! He and I scrammed out of there, but not before each of us got a couple stings. The wasp/hornet spray I have was not in either truck, so we waited a bit for them to settle, then I went over and falled the oak as quick as could be. We ended up the day finishing the prunes, the Oak and half the maple (long ass Dingo haul across 2+ acre property to driveway to chip), so we'll finish up tomorrow.

Still trying to figure out how the saw left with a big branch. The saw leash broke. I felt the pull but it did not take me out of the spurs. Need to replace the lower cover that includes the oil tank and half the saw cover that includes the handle attachment and half the battery casing. $50 worth of parts that are backordered. I still used the saw on some arbovitae infested with bagworms. Chipped and burned the chips/worms on a bonfire last night.

Attachments

• 20210721_070725.jpg
    20210721_070725.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210720_174906.jpg
    20210720_174906.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210720_163609.jpg
    20210720_163609.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 5
Still trying to figure out how the saw left with a big branch. The saw leash broke. I felt the pull but it did not take me out of the spurs. Need to replace the lower cover that includes the oil tank and half the saw cover that includes the handle attachment and half the battery casing. $50 worth of parts that are backordered. I still used the saw on some arbovitae infested with bagworms. Chipped and burned the chips/worms on a bonfire last night.

Prolly not cutting fast enough, they’re good, but you have to rethink any important cut because of the cut speed.

Since our logging job got shut down for a week and my wife has that week off, we decided to toss a couple of matresses in the truck, load up the dog and go see a part of the country, she has never been to.
It is going to be a very quiet trip for me.
I left my hearing aids in my work pants, when I tossed them in the hamper.
So they are very clean now, but the function is somewhat diminished.

Wraptored up the stub of yesterday afternoon's work.
Hinge or drop-cut?

Well. Got a crane job done in quick time. Both new to each other, 27ton. He showed up with a Sena head set. A positive sign. Aint done one in a few years. Like riding a bike I guess. Felt nervous like a newb though.
Left that job to hit a consult and pick up the lift for tomorrow and got a call from the wifey. Happened so fast, all she got was her phone. None of the cash she just got or cashed from checks. Wallet gone.
All her work stuff gone. All a do over. No kids or pets in tow. And the neighborhood did not burn down. FB_IMG_1626916535902.jpg FB_IMG_1626916532650.jpg FB_IMG_1626916541284.jpg FB_IMG_1626916538727.jpg FB_IMG_1626916543848.jpg

I hung up the phone. Just sighed. I was over an hour away. Then I just wispered to myself, now I wont need a new motor for it. I just got the cross member and bushings for the front torsion Bars and still needed to order a pitman arm. She lost over 1000.00 in it not counting her cleaning supplies and equip.
But motor was coming up. I could just feel it coming. Last oil change gave heed.
Looks like it started on the battery side either at the fuse box or at the battery. She said brakes went right as the smoke appeared.

That really sucks the hairy moose lips, Stephen. So glad it's only "stuff". Think how scary bad it might have been with children in the car. K only got out with her phone...that speaks to a bad situation. Kids, or even a pet, would have multiplied that a zillion-fold.

I have no idea if my auto insurance would cover loss of cash or business supplies in a situation like that...ought to check into that. Does yours?

I am having her write an inventory up. Some of the money was checks she can have replaced. The biggie is the one she had just cashed. Auction check she split with another seller. At least the other seller got her share before this. The client she worked today I will getan affidavit From, he paid cash. Happened right in front of his house though. See what come of that.
Katy said once out, it moved so fast she could not dare go back in to get any thing.
She was in tears thinking how bad that could have been with kids and car seats. Best I can figure, electrical fire, drivers side at the battey or fuse box. She lost her brakes just as smoke was seen. Got it pulled over and she snapped the first pict right after. Drivers side on fire. If she had opened the door on the passangers side, it would have flashed. All the windows were shut. The pistons on the back window hatch, found 60 feet away.
Aluminum rims were puddles.

Yesterday was two spruce raises, two deadwood canopy raises of largish norway maples, and back today to do some heavier pruning on two locust for some really oddball customers.

Holy Crap Steven!! Glad she is okay.

Back after almost three weeks away in Tucson, taking care of granddaughter. Hardly any time to get on the internet - actually a good thing, - to take a break, with nothing to do but play with the granddaughter and complete some projects for my son and daughter-in-law (like re-wiring the half of their house run on extension cords because the idiot who wired the place in 1995 messed up big time).

Boss had to do percs, so I worked on my job next to the office getting started on brushcutting. Burned up my brushcutter. It just stopped, and when I looked at the back of the machine, there was a big leaf over the air vents. Dunno if that's enough to overheat it, but the piston is toast, and probably the cylinder too. I have another one at my house, but I was feeling good, and in the groove. Plus, it's a not terribly old $800 machine. Always something...

before...

20210722_081048.jpg

after...

20210722_125634.jpg

20210722_111124.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but I was mostly working the other side. Got a shitton of stuff knocked down, and I'll have to see what's left once the dead stuff makes the live more apparent.

Back