How'd it go today?

I guess this is a high dollar property?
Well, considering the shear mass of wealth this customer has the house is very humble and is the first house she has ever purchased. That being said they have properties on Jupiter Island as well as Martha's Vineyard. If you saw them in the local bar you would have no clue. She has numerous shares in Lake Geneva land holdings and her second husband is responsible for building most of modern Boston. She also happens to be my friends aunt and we go way back, like childhood. So regardless she is getting a friendly price/fair price but she will pay for quality work.

Started the day tired. Wife kept me up way to late😉. First customer has a severe stutter or Tourette’s syndrome. He apologized many times and I will admit it was distracting but I told him that we all have conditions to deal with. Mine just aren’t prevelant at the given time. Walked through everything and landed a good money job. Wasn’t feeling the estimate thing today at all. Did a few. Grapple truck guy called me to pull him out. After the last two weeks I think we had 14 inches of rain and he decided to pull into a front yard to load! I ended up flagging traffic most of the afternoon while he sat on the road to load a bit load of debris that was forwarded to him. I didn’t complain a bit. Busy roadway, high end area= lots to look at. I was entertaining for the stopped traffic as well. Helped repair the lawn amd did a handful more estimates. On my way home got a call from a friend that was having relationship issues. Just walked in the door from that. We also picked some cucumbers while we talked. This is what I brought home, plus that one squash
image.jpg

Tested a 490 I changed the porting on after I didn't like how it turned out the first time. Did a bit of a stress test to see how it would handle somewhat hard working conditions. It worked its way up to 400degF by the end of that 73 second cut. Not the hottest I've seen a saw run, but with normal sized wood it runs around 360degF.

View attachment 490 v2 32in oak 73s 397degF.mp4

Had the new guy working for me all day today at the course...he might be a keeper. Stayed working steady, seems adept at running small equipment so far, followed instructions pretty well...all in all things went pretty smoothly for having off & on rain all morning.

Last edited:
How do you like the 490? I've off/on toyed with the idea of getting one.
I'm not too picky when it comes to saws, I'll run anything, though I do have particular preferences.

It's light. Very quiet when stock... and wimpy too, but with it being light weight I like using it on very small trees.

Compared to other 50cc. A few years ago I used a stock 490 cutting a fence row of small trees and I found myself enjoying the light weight and cut speed for what I was doing, but it is very weak compared to today's 50cc offerings like the Husqvarna 545 & 550, and I assume the Stihl 261. Echo has some models that stand out for their power and others that don't, like the cs400 has a surprising amount of torque, and the cs310 is miserably weak.

The 261 is solid both on the ground and in the tree... Professor Chunkenstein.

I ran close to Santa Cruz mountains yesterday, watched 2 Cats jump out of a tree in front of me on the trail... They bolted in the woods.. I thought bobcats or foxes.. but apparently neither mess in trees.. so maybe baby mountain lions... but a pair? Like mom and cub?
Anyhoo.

I made some timed cuts with a few saws today in I'm guessing 17" white oak.
Stock 490: 41s
Ported 490: 26.75s same chain as above & 8t rim
ported 026: 23.5s 7t rim different chain
550 MKII: 22s muffler modded, 3/8 chain

Ported 490 hit this
DSC04586 (1280x960).jpg

DSC04589 (1024x768).jpg

Made grass shorter yesterday, was tired as hell, and went to bed a little early. Been up since 12:30(now 2:30), and can't get back to sleep. Ate something, and did some laundry, and now I'm just laying here. Have a crappy job to do tomorrow too. Might get some chainsaw time in, but it'll just be lame stuff. Can't wait til summer's done...

I made some timed cuts with a few saws today in I'm guessing 17" white oak.
Stock 490: 41s
Ported 490: 26.75s same chain as above & 8t rim
ported 026: 23.5s 7t rim different chain
550 MKII: 22s muffler modded, 3/8 chain

Ported 490 hit this
View attachment 112613

View attachment 112614
About depicts my last two weeks and a week coming up. You should see one of my chipper blades. Half moon divet.

Nah, it'll work. Just tie it on with some poly string. I see big loads like that all the time outside homedepot.

Reactions: Raj
Day went a bit better than expected. It still sucked, but only in the banal "This is boring me to death" sense, not the "I want to step in front of a car" sense. Ended up falling asleep around 4am last night, and overslept. Got home and brushcut the back 40(inches). I'm drenched, and I was only out there ~.5hr. I was gonna chainsaw my brush piles, but that'll wait til another day. I'm done with outside til Monday.

Back