How'd it go today?

I helped do tin roofing a couple years ago. It was late fall, so temps were decent, and it wasn't a bad time. Roofing's close to the bottom of my list of things I want to get paid to do. Summertime? Gates doesn't have enough money to pay me to roof.

I'll be needing a roof on our rental in about three years (best guess) as I last replaced it in 1990.
It's an easily-walkable pitch and no dormers or valleys. I added a cricket above and re-flashed around the chimney ten years ago to help redirect rain, but other than age-related-degradation it has been solid.When it is an easy roof it's hard to justify paying someone else to do it.

Got three of them in use! I've roofed many a 12/12 with nothing but the foam. Steepest I've ever sat was a 16/12. Nailed on two shingles and started slipping. (Had roof jacks below me).

That's nuts, I've never worked that steep of stuff ever, and don't really plan to! That's cool you can tho!

Once you get the hang of it, steep can be easier on you...not so much bending over. Used to do a lot of gambrel roofs on barns...all ladders & jacks. Carrying shingles up was the worst part, especially if they were t-locks.

So far it's foggy, drizzle, and hot. Took my 026 out to get a new log for a chopping block,and finish breaking down the poplar I started the other day. There's something weird going on with the bar. I think it has too much slop near the nose. It cuts fantastic at the powerhead, but will sometimes simply spin the chain when cutting near the tip. Start the cut again, and it cuts sorta alright.

I think it just needs a new bar. The one on it is pretty beat. I might give a go at hammering the rails together. I'd like it to at least last through the 1.5 chains I have, cause I'm not convinced I want to stick with the .325 pitch. I'm thinking I'll get a 16" WoodlandPro b&c combo in 3/8 to try on it. It's only $45, and if I don't like it, it can be used on my 362. I already have a rim that should fit.

Debating going out with the brushcutter. Kinda hot and wet for that though. Rest of the day remains to be seen...

Standardizing around my existing infrastructure. I'd rather go to 3/8lp, but that looks like a greater PITA getting bars. It /should/ handle 3/8 ok, especially with a 16" bar, but the only way to really know is to try, hence the WoodlandPro. If I was sure, I'd go with Stihl, but that's twice as much money to lose if I don't end up liking it.

It really needs a new bar. If it were one of my main saws, it would be my trash cutting/stumping bar, and I'd get a new one. I still might, but I want to be sure it's what I really want, cause the gauge/pitch isn't like any of my other saws. The 1.5 chains is the extent of my non matching stuff, so I'd like to use them up, and then make a firm decision.

Just hammered the rails in, so I'll see if that fixed it next time I'm out. I was a little conservative, so I still have a smidge of room to bring them in closer.

John, post a picture of the rails, close-up. Are you getting mushrooming of the bar near the tip on the edges/ sides of the rails? A flat file, held flat to the side of the bar will take that off in a jif. Leveling the two rail, if the one is more worn down, again with a flat file, can fix up the bar. This is not in place of good square, not spread, rails, which may need closing.

This is about the best I can do with my skills/low end camera...

IMG_20201021_143424.jpg

I have one of those bar dresser file setups I went over it with. Laying a straightedge on the bar, it doesn't appear to be egged out bad at the top. Still a bit of rock in the chain. Perhaps the insides of the rails are worn bad. I have enough clearance on the drivers.

Back