How'd it go today?

Filled in for one of the line clearance guys.......poured out all day, watched the rain hit the windows, roof, chipbox, chipper, road.

Had a GREAT Superbeef threeway for lunch!

Been sick!! AGAIN!!
One of the supervisors called last night, said he wouldn't be in and needed me to unlock his building this am.
When I left yesterday my boss thought he might be having to go to Canada because one of the saws up there went down.
I got up and felt like hell!!! My throat was so sore it hurt to breathe!! It felt like a golf ball was lodged in the top of my mouth, you know.
I went in at 3:45, lined out the new guy, unlocked the building at 4:45 when everbody showed up, my boss came in at 6 and I left!!
Slept from 6:30 to 1:30 and had the runs all afternoon!!
Mama won't be in until midnight tonight, so it's me an Bubba at home, I don't think I am going to be in tommorow either!

pruned about 200' of hedge cedars, inside for the whole run, outside for half the run and the tops of all of it. with one helper running the ladder to do the tops, I am a tired mofo. sore from the waist up. ouch, talk to you tomorrow!

I still need to rotto till our garden and research the fert. for it.
Today I saw a corkscrew pine (the butt of it) jump a good 13 feet over to the right and land onto a old fence. I have never seen the butt of a tree jump so far in all my days of cutting! I feel the boss was embarrassed by his mistake and telling me to not cut it in half which I was there and ready and to come down and he'd cut it at the base.. Good thing the 6 ground guys were pulling the rope and not lolly gagging around the base of the tree which they normally do. 3 weeks now with 6 Spanish men on this new clock job and I like my job alot. One of the more important aspect of my job is keeping all those guys safe underneath us two climbers. The gravity of the situation I saw when that corkscrew pine jumped and crashed the fence has really upset me. It taking all I can do to keep allot of guys safe. I have to yell, I hate that more than anything. After I yell i go back and say I'm sorry every time. I feel a heavy burden to keep men alive. 5 of the 7 are noobs and look at us like a deer in the headlights.

sandy soil! way better than my "black sticky"!

got the front off the new bed and a cross body box bought. its a little small but i can suppliment it with underbody boxes. they wanted 2500 bucks for an aluminum box 8' long x 4' high x 30" wide:O so they had this one laying around i got for a good price

Attachments

• 80truck 002.jpg
    80truck 002.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 7
I love to eat sweet corn right off the stalk.

Gigi, they are prob. some kind of stone fruit like nectarines, peaches, pistachios, or almonds maybe?

I like sweet corn too but the racoons seem to get it a few days before it is ripe. We used to grow field corn in 20 or 30 acre fields. Dad thought he would hide some sweet corn out in the middle of the field corn. Apparantly the coons locate it by smell though cause they found it and destroyed it before it was ripe.

Yesterday I shot a line in a landmark tree. Only bout a hundred feet. All in preparation to come back at a later date.

Called the Umbrella Tree, because of its peculiar flat top that curls down at the tips. Near 200 ft. tall by 11 foot diameter it stands in a shallow ravine on top of a high ridge. A prominant feature on the ridge top viewed from the valley floor. Surrounded by second growth all you can see of the tree is the top hundred feet. I'll get you some pics of the tree, along with a video I post on the U-tube.

Kind of an interesting tree. The top is like a massive valley oak growing on top of a slender stem. The crotchs of the limbs appear to be 6\7 foot thick, or more. Umbrella Tree. Coming soon.

Sounds awesome, Jerry. I always enjoy your videos and pictures. :)

This morning I took down an old rotten laurel oak that had been previously topped several years ago. The topping all but killed it. The tree was nothing but multiple stems covered in sucker sprouts. The growth on the tops was less than 1" diameter and 10' long. All the leads were rotten and full of cavities.

Anyway, there were several families of skwerls living in the tree and they were not at all happy about getting evicted. I never saw any babies but there were two different mommas who refused to leave the tree. They kept jumping back and forth running up to the tops of the leads as I rigged them and cut them down. The last one didn't leave until I had the tree down to a 12' trunk. I never saw any babies but I heard them a couple times. I suspect they ended up in the dump truck hidden inside their hollow log. :cry:

Back