How'd it go today?

Any suggestions on how to start learning fiddle?

I suggest not doing on your own like I did. If you already play instruments then you're already familiar with the time & effort it takes to progress....well fiddle is worse - just more techniques you need to get used to before you can pull any kind of tone out of the thing. I still have days where I pick mine up, play a bit, and it just sounds like crap so I put it back down for a while.

There are many instructional websites and people who teach on the net. I've been doing lessons & workshops through Zoom lately, but have spent quite a few years now hanging out on a couple websites built by instructors...those are nice because you can totally set your own pace.

I use all the tools I can to learn: slowing down video & audio, tablature, notation, personal instruction.

It can depend a lot on what you want to play too. I like to do a searches like "learn Bill's Droopy Britches fiddle" or some such and see what pops up.
YouTube is a great resource. you can see and hear someone play something and slow it down.
I also use software that slows down recordings & can pull the audio out of a video so I can just listen.

Tons of choices out there....but it still takes heaps of time, patience, and perseverance.

Jim!!! What an interesting family outing!! Great picture.

This morning as I was cooking my pancakes I noticed my wife looking at me and smiling. I was wearing a longsleeve T shirt, sweats, sandals...and socks. And had a hand towel hanging off my left hip like I always in the kitchen. She says socks and sandals are a big "no-no"....IDGAF...so I just wear it. She laughs.

I think she would probably fall out laughing to see you in shorts and galoshes!!! Great fashion statement...You DGAF!

Fun shot Jim ... Damn snow. :lol:

Just another day here. Dump run, reloading session with my buddy Don and a consult.
Katy and the kids did property clean up. Limbs were down in about every pasture. Good for everyone to play outside. Sun was scarce though.
I've been outside all week, so felt good to get some .223 put back together.

Pretty good storm rolled through last week. Been burning the candle at both ends and in the middle again. Just hoping to enjoy the day with the family. We’re gonna go visit with my mom and dad later today by sitting in the driveway and talking through the window. Haven’t seen my parents since just before this whole Covid-19 thing started and dad just got released yesterday.
Easterbasket hunting time.

Had the easter egg hunt, now prepping dinner/lunch for the fam and my mom. Wife's side is postponed until the madness ends.

No...its great bee habit. We don't use any seed treatments or pesticides.

Lots of alfalfa and native flowers.

The commercial guys have me covered up with bees....more interest all the time with our cover crops and such.

There are restrictions on how many hive sites per area....state laws.

Some of the commercial guys dont like the hobby guys.

They believe that the collapse disorder is partly from mismanaged hobby hives.

Back