How'd it go today?

Took a small pine down to help my farmer buddy w/cancer today. Thing could have fallen into the neighbors at any time.

Not climbing anymore, so had to strip it down w/pole saw from roof to get it loose from other trees.

Wasn't very confident with how dead it was, amount of back lean, and microscopic target area, but it went right where intended with a little help from the tractor. :)

Neighbors offered to clean it all up for campfire wood, soI just cut it into moveable pieces and went home...

I tried milling some ash remains, and it didn't turn out very well. Made several mistakes, and due to the smallish size, I'm not sure the effort's worth it. I left some to consider later before turning it into firewood. It's hard to put back together if I change my mind, but it'll probably be firewood.

Boss stopped out to talk a few minutes, and he noticed a stone dead pine in a beech that's threatening a fence. I doubt he cares much. He'll just let it fall on the fence, and fix it later, but I might try to remove it. I'm thinking I can climb the beech, and nibble it down from the top til I get it out of the beech limbs. It's out there a ways, but beech is strong. He was joking, and said he'd tie a rope to it, cut it off at the bottom, and pull it out with the skid loader. That was actually a pretty credible idea. That'll be option B, but I'd need his help to do that.

Had to do public today and get perscriptions and groceries while there.
Called my mom, asked if she needed anything. Got to visit with her for a bit. Me with my N95 mask outside the den window, her on the inside. Had not seen them since before this all started. Nice to catch up a little. Even through a window screen.
Stopped at a buddies house and dropped a few masks on them. His wife has a lot of health issues and has been afraid to go to her appointments at the clinic. This will help.
Filled propane and fuels.
Scored a little TP and some pumpkin pie.
Stocked the firewood rack. Had snow last night. Fixed a couple roasted chickens and fixings.
Just another day.

I would imagine that's a grease tensioner right? Might have to start doing twice a day if that happens all the time. I've worked around some clapped out machines and have only seen that a couple times, but they are anal about grease. The rubber ones are a different story tho.

Looks like fun, I'd love to learn how to ride!

Cory, mostly red spruce in the background, handful of white pine though.

Leaps and bounds on the boat. Now it just needs plank trimming, epoxy fairing, sanding, fiberglass on the seams, a keel and rub rails. And oarlocks and soars. And paint. And a name...

It's boat shaped now and looking fine if I do say so myself.

20200409_150517.jpg

20200409_162246.jpg

20200409_162301.jpg

Back