How'd it go today?

Not much details, chipping a cedar hedge and as much as I could stuff in there wouldn't get the autofeed to cycle. So not much of a test yet I was pleasantly suprised at how little room it took up in the chip box. Chipped fine and packed right in there, this chipper is gonna pay for itself in saved trips to the dump.

I was real surprised at how much of a difference it made when the chips were finely dimensioned...

My truck holds 9 cubic yards filled, and it takes alot of chipping or one real large tree to do this

Well,split about a short cord of wood.I had forgotten how tough frozen wood saws.About like concrete,geeze.

Drilled a grade 8 bolt out of Tom's chipper,took about a half hour .

Anybody that is running chippers,let me lay a little wisdom on you.When you change the knives you would be money ahead to toss the bolts and replace them with new.

Put new ones in,it won't add 25 bucks to the job.You have to drill one out,it will cost you more than that .If old Tom wasn't my buddy that little deal would have been billed at over a hundred bucks. Not just any Tom, Dick And Harry can drill out a grade 8 carbon steel bolt.

Further more put a little anti sieze compound on the bolts.The acid from the wood plays the dickens on carbon steel.Ok,done preaching .:)

three site visits, hour long walk in the park in the sun, now home to write up estimates and play on the computer. Wife is on the way home from her likely last visit to the barn for a few weeks, when I asked her how she is feeling (a regular question to those that are pregnant I have learned) she said "ok, junior is quite active, I fell pressure on my belly". she has been feeling that for a few weeks, didnt realize that what she thought was junior pushing out against the belly were actually braxton hicks 'practice' contractions. She is paying more attention now that she is aware. Any day now! :D
oh, and I went to babies r us and bought a couple things for her (mom to be) that were on our registry that she didnt get. A glow worm, and some bedding (sage lamb print) that she wanted. And a bib with a lamb on it. I was going to get one that said " I love my dad" but thought it might be presumptious at this point. hahaha

Slept darn near the whole day today. Good on ya Al for taking care your bro like that.

Anybody that is running chippers,let me lay a little wisdom on you.When you change the knives you would be money ahead to toss the bolts and replace them with new.

Bandit recommends no more than five tightens before replacing the knife retaining hardware. I think after your warning I'll be taking this to heart.

i did every 3-4 times on my bandit, my morbark on the other hand uses 3/4" (i think) bolts! no way am i changing them very often but i do anti-seize them evrytime!

I've never changed mine. They have been tightened probably 30 times or more since I have had the chipper. They are 5/8" course thread with a hex key tapered head and a hard flatwasher and are double nutted.

Those that I refered to are on an old Lindag chipper.5/8 by 3 and thread into the drum to tighten the wedge holding the knives.I imagine they are held with around 200 ft pounds of torque or more .

If any body ever has to drill one out solid carbine is about the only thing that will hold up to that hard of steel.If you attempt HS steel,you are just peeing up a rope .They might cut just a tad then dull.If you just scratch the surface all you you do is heat the metal.That heat treated carbon steel will only get harder if you heat it up.They call that phenomina " wear hardening " or work hardening .

You don't have to comletely drill the heads off.If a person say cuts about 9/16 out of the center,the bolt weakens which causes it to stretch enough to lose the high torque and then can be backed out with a drift chisel or easy out . I know how it's done but it's still a monumental pain in the behind to do.

I'm a sick puppy today..... yucka. Going to bed, and will get back when I'm feeling a little better.
The east coast of the U S of A will get anybody down if you're not used to it.:(

Well,I repaired a lock,carried in some firewood and did some measurements on the 38 mag I'm souping up. Work next,ten hours .

I had one of those "Oh it won't take you an hour" jobs that took more than a freaking hour!!! Hot primarys, a fence and a carport, yea - easy!

Sold some work today and made arrangements for some welding on my lift to re-pass inspection. For those who self-inspect their equipment I'd recommend having your welds x-rayed now and then, I'd never have spotted the crack without it. As it is it's minor. Also have to have the chassis cert'd this week.

spooky squish! glad you found it.
we made wages for 3 guys all day and i only had to pay one guy a half day! 5 small jobs!

Did a couple of bids, 1 was 40 miles away. Did a little work on my truck motor. When I do bids and I don't get there until late my Cousin who has been sick is all worn out for the day.

We got about 4 inchs of wet snow last night,heavy as lead.If that would have been powder it would likely have been a foot or more.Sooo,I spent a few minutes plowing the driveway and shoveling the walks.

Now all you folks on the sunny west coast or south,see what you are missing .:|:Fresh cool air,vigorious exercise .Why go to the spa,it's right outside your door,delivered for your enjoyment ,no charge .

small pruning job this morning, bought junior a piggybank, now off to pick up the missus and junior from the hospital, see y'all later!!

Back