How'd it go today?

Ok, that does suck. 6.0 i assume? On the 7.3 i know you can simply pull the covers, then pull the wiring harness off the injector. Ron will surely be missed. Do you think it's an electrical issue or mechanical issue?

Is it misfiring? Intermittent?
Idk much at all about diesels but scan tool is the same as for cars right? OBD2 will tell you the code anyways right?

I’d check check and then double check all the electrical connections first. Pull’em apart clean’em apply dielectric grease, the whole bit. Look at the simple cheap chit first. Pull every ground and clean them too. Have the ECM checked too, could need to be “flashed”might be a dealer visit. Take an ample supply of lube with ya. Check the Ferd forums, might get lucky. If ya like the truck and all else fails drop a 5.9 scummins in it, ya won’t be sorry.

I have been seriously thinking about purchasing a scan tool myself.

They make some neat, tablet based scanners now a days. Prices start about 8 or 900 dollars.

Top out at a couple thousand.

Tool Truck units start at a couple thousand.

Cheapest tool you ever bought if you need it.

I have a nice code reader that gets me by. Even got it to read an individual misfire code once. Veeeeeeery rarely do the OBD-2 systems log an individual misfire code.

At least on my old stuff anyway.

Bummer.
I’d check check and then double check all the electrical connections first. Pull’em apart clean’em apply dielectric grease, the whole bit. Look at the simple cheap chit first. Pull every ground and clean them too. Have the ECM checked too, could need to be “flashed”might be a dealer visit. Take an ample supply of lube with ya. Check the Ferd forums, might get lucky. If ya like the truck and all else fails drop a 5.9 scummins in it, ya won’t be sorry.
This.
I went nuts trying to fix a misfire on my old Expedition with 5.4L. New coil packs and plugs, thought all the wires looked good. Finally took it to a pro. Mechanic found one little damaged one on a wiring harness on a cylinder closest to firewall, so hardest to see and get too. Could wiggle it and make the miss happen. They were nicer coil packs anyways though, it needed them. He didn’t even charge me for the troubleshooting though as long as I didn’t ask him to fix it.

Rollers on my big chipper stopped feeding, only reverse.

Took it to a tractor dealership I know, after 8 hours and €500 they found a small wire earthing.

Easy come, easy go.

Ok, that does suck. 6.0 i assume? On the 7.3 i know you can simply pull the covers, then pull the wiring harness off the injector. Ron will surely be missed. Do you think it's an electrical issue or mechanical issue?
Doesn't matter I put money down on a new truck and will be headed to Florida next week to pick it up and driving it back. Good bye Ford you have made me money and you have cost me money. I shall toast your crushing at the scrap yard or if some sucker wants to buy it from me.

Not today...but last Sunday.

Young Daniel taking his first solo ride on his pony that was not supposed to be saddle broke.

sUOAUjJ.jpg

Did some view improvement pruning for some high-bank waterfront customers. Neighbor wants work, too. Kinda work I wouldn't send a rookie to do. The top bank is totally undercut, tipped over trees cut off from where they pulled over, once cedar had tipped down, and was growing back up 160 degrees. More tomorrow. IDK the likelihood of pulling out a tree from a soft cliff that is always sloughing bits. Around the corner of the tip of the peninsula, 1/2-3/4 of a mile as the crow flies, there is a large landslide zone where the neighbor lost two houses, while building his waterfront home. He wants to clean up whatever is on top. Everything over the side, where most of the work is, stays over the side.

Sounds like he needs an engineer more than an arborist. I'm thinking just about anything you do to the plant life on the banks will sooner or later affect the bank. Leave the tree, and it pulls the bank away. Pull the tree, and it of course pulls the bank away. Cut the tree leaving the stump, it rots out, and the bank falls...

But the time the roots are rotting hopefully something else grows and stabilizes the bank. Maybe. I bid a couple of jobs like that in Milwaukee years ago and I am glad I was the high bidder.

@SeanKroll , I don't know if you are already committed to that work, if so, be careful. Cause and effect of tree removal on steep embankments can be tricky.

Ya, I hear you Dave.
I'm always a proponent of keeping trees on steep slopes.

"How much can I cut off without hurting the tree?"

"Zero".

I tell people this all the time. One of my customers always needs to tell me of how she wants to be 'respectful' of the trees.

All I can tell them is the science, and try to judiciously balance the compromise between tree and human (immediate desires, and long-term sustainable desires, such as a solid ground under their house and sustainable pieces of forest and bank/ shore.

It's all pruning tops off of alders, short-lived colonizers of disturbed areas, no removal, as high and small as I can safely climb, with high TIPs behind me in tall doug-firs. Trying to create somewhat of a decurrent shape in an excurrent tree. Compromising between tree and homeowner desires. Trees will slow down rain-splash erosion, as well as holding with roots. Wider will cover more, I hope.

People with waterfront property with mountain/ other views are always in 'funny' states of denial, or double-speak.

Some people clear-cut the less-steep high-bank slopes, because that is easiest/ cheapest, and don't want to wait for saplings to grow up to the point of being a 'real' tree that is climbable and reduce-able as it will block their view in the meantime. I know this sounds weird, but it's maintenance tree work. Pruning smaller tops that are the view-offenders keeps the trees growing overall. With tops pruned, more light gets to lower laterals for growth, there.

Many people are retired, and I bet just hope that the bank lives longer than them. Erosion is inevitable. Mass movements, too. Slowable, but inevitable. Also, easily increased.

I'm always a proponent of keeping trees on steep slopes.

Reactions: DMc
Hahaha Butch!

Its a product called Super Sheen. Its sort of a high gloss....uuuhhhhhh....finish.

Two coats of that with a paint brush and then let dry.

The dark color is a product called Gel Antique.

When the Super Sheen dries the forms a layer the Gel Antique cant get through.

Back