How'd it go today?

I knocked the rear tire off a forwarder.
Damnedest thing.
I was bucking a short log on a steep slope just as the forwarder rolled by below me.
The log rolled down and hit the rear tire on the forwarder hard enough to kock the inner rim loose and pop the tire half way off.
Sure ruined his day.

At least a forwarder wheel sounds easy to change in the field...did you have a jack and a spare, maybe some Fix-a-flat?

Just kidding.

We'll he got it fixed and was transported down South for today's little gig.
4 absolutely humonguous beech trees in a castle park that had to come down between various other valuable trees.
On arriving, we were told that if we damaged any of the other trees, just get in our trucks and go home, don't bother to send a bill.

Unfortunately I forgot my camera.

They were so big, we had to cut the logs at 5', in order for the forwarder to be able to load them.
Various states of decay, infested with both Polyporus squamosis and kretzschmaria deusta.
One could be felled, the others we pulled with the forwarder after reducing one side of the top of one of them.
Not a run of the mill job, this one, but we pulled it off.
Like one of the guys said: " Hell, if it had been easy, they could have called someone else" :lol:

Our new apprentice is at school, he doesn't start with us till after New year, but I called the school and got them to give him the day off, so he could join us and get the experience.
He was all fired up when we went home and somewhat suffering from information overload, I think.

Pulled with the forwarder...doncha mean ya murphed it?

Firefighting has started...one fire burning up north in plantation, spent a day on that one, severe weather warning today, fire permit embargo, at least one strike team in place...

I was cutting some downed locust on the farm. While I was in the woods, apparently a bird got in my rear window and pooped up the truck. Looked like there were 20 birds in there. Purple berry poop on everything. At least it wasn't pigs :^D

I once made the mistake if leaving my driver's window down in a camp ground. I was startled awake by a black bear half in the van. And I was sleeping in the van!!!

Stig, your guy's comment reminds me of something I was told by my father as we huffed and puffed, following my German Shorthaired pointer up a nasty steep basalt talus slope in pursuit of chukar partridges in central Oregon..."If it was easy, any little pissant would be out here...look around, son...you see anyone else in sight?" Of course, there was no other human visible over the 500 of so acres I could scan at that moment.
:D
He was 76 years old, that trip. I sure miss him.

Yep, that is the same take on it.

I really enjoy getting called out to a job like that in logging season.
It is such a wonderful break in the all day, all week, all season "wholesale slaughter of trees".

I like logging, but it can get monotonous.

Spent the afternoon trying to fix my truck, no luck.
Me praying: Dear lord, please burn my truck tonight so I may be rid of this unholy abomination. This perversion of nature. This evil demon of which brings joy and hatred at the very same instance. This creature of hell spawn. Lord in closing may you seek wrath and damnation upon those who perpetrated such a creature of brutality and unjust cause. Thank you lord.

Spent the afternoon trying to fix my truck, no luck.
Me praying: Dear lord, please burn my truck tonight so I may be rid of this unholy abomination. This perversion of nature. This evil demon of which brings joy and hatred at the very same instance. This creature of hell spawn. Lord in closing may you seek wrath and damnation upon those who perpetrated such a creature of brutality and unjust cause. Thank you lord.
This sounds like a pretty serious thing, my friend. PM me your addy and I'll head over with a gallon of high inflammables, on the quiet, of course. ;)

Although I suspect airfare might be needed...can you give me a day or two ? :D

Ok come on down.

Kyle, I have no clue and the tools I need to diagnosis it cost many thousands. I am well beyond wits end with the aforementioned truck. My wife spent a good two hours searching the net for a new truck. Some good prospects coming out of AZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fighting with the Ford again?
Our mechanic is in a tizzy because the boss has agreed on purchasing a Chevy for my work truck. He says that he has worked long and hard to be rid of bow ties and switch to fords. He got really upset when I told him he was looking for job security. For us it’s a fun little battle. For you Raj it sounds like pure hatred and war.

I've never been a Ford fan myself, even though in my neck of the woods they have ruled the roost for decades.

I will note that in my travels around Oregon and Washington over the past couple of years, and especially these last 6 months or so, I'm seeing far more than in past years a lot of new GMC branded pickups on the road...from lights to heavies. Must mean something.

I've never been a Ford fan myself, even though in my neck of the woods they have ruled the roost for decades.

I will note that in my travels around Oregon and Washington over the past couple of years, and especially these last 6 months or so, I'm seeing far more than in past years a lot of new GMC branded pickups on the road...from lights to heavies. Must mean something.
They're cheap! :lol:

Ford or Chevy, Sthil or Husky, Miller or Budweiser... there's nothing inherently bad with either. It's just the luck you can associate it with.

What's it doing man? What exact truck? I'm not saying I'm a good mechanic, but we have some excellent ones here. It's just a thing, built by imperfect people, and I'm sure you aren't the first with this particular problem man. It sucks, but maybe someone here can help.

;)
Not so far as I can tell :)...$50k to $60k plus, from what I see. Like any of the rest of the current litter of pickups. Crazy expensive. But perhaps you are teasing a bit...it can be hard to tell online, sometimes ;) .
I am teasing.

Kyle I am loosing cylinders but without a scan tool I cannot tell which bank without pulling the injectors one by one. I have tried everything else Diesel Tech Ron suggested and that is where I am at.

Back