How'd it go today?

It was invented by retail, just like Xmas. This shit wasn't around a couple hundred years ago.

In my little town a couple churches and the township fire barn have indoor activities for the kids & a "trunk-to-trunk" trick or treat in the parking lots.

Same here.
Having to walk down a quarter mile of dark dirt road to my house is a bit too real world scary :lol:

Our last apprentice wrecked his shoulder badly by doing martial arts..........stay away from that, kids!

So we had to find another one.
The Forestry school picked a likely candidate for us, and we subjected him to the Usual: " so you want to be a climber, so we'd better see if you can climb......................... the interview is at the top of that 130 foot Beech tree!"

He did really well, has a fine sense of humor, is the kind of guy we like to hang out with.
He is hired!

Now will have to see if he can stand up to the rigors of hardwood logging.

We do the same here Dave. Trunk or Treat at the court house and then the main in town. All the stores hand out candy. Restaurants make hot chocolate and stuff. Maybe 3 town streets decorate and do door to door for the kids with LEO and traffic control. Great for families. Then we just eat out and chill.
I used to set up a booth a the parkng lot and hand out the candy as well. But I stopped as the kids became more active trick or treaters. Felt I was missing out on some time with them.

It was imported suddenly here only a few years ago, like nobody cares about it or even knows it, then the business came in massively. Beside some occasional party, we don't see any kids going door to door. It's purely a commercial thing. It was so obvious when it appeared, I was disgusted.

It was invented by retail, just like Xmas. This shit wasn't around a couple hundred years ago.
Valentine’s Day lol I get suckered by that one every year. I’m not falling for the “ Sweetest Day” bullshit though. I think most parts of the US haven’t heard of it. It’s just Hallmark trying to drum up business.

I was planning on going to Pittsburgh this morning, but Thursday my truck wouldn’t go into Park, so I’m changing a shifter cable before it rolls away. Glad I don’t live in the hills.

America didn't invent Halloween. We did have corporations monetize it, but it's a harmless cheap holiday for kids and adults. I have never heard of people being anti Halloween fun before, and i don't understand it.

clever-halloween-costumes-for-college-girls.jpg

Lol it's a Celtic holiday to begin with, so technically it's a British holiday that was around wayyyyyyyyyy before guy fawkes night.... i never did understand the celebration of a botched torture execution tho either. It's an excuse for kids to get dressed up and have fun, and for women to dress like they normally wouldn't :/: I'm a fan.

So am I.
Just like I an VERY uch against all the other: " Let us go spend, spend, spend a lot of money" things that trickles over here from the Us.
Father's day, Mother's day, Stepsister's day, Valentines day and for that matter, what x-mas has been turned into.

Around here, it used to be a festival of celebrating the returning of the light.
Then the stupid white christ hijacked it.
It got hijacked again by the Coca Cola version of Santa Claus.
Then it got hijacked again by the god, Mammon.

What the hell do you find to like about those " holidays", Kyle?

This halloween in Denmark a 5 year old kid got so scared when he knocked on a door and the house owner showed up wearing a really freaky mask, that he ran out of the street, right in front of a truck.

Smat!

Happy Halloween!

That sucks a kid got killed, but where were the parents? And why was a truck driving quickly at night when kids are everywhere? I don't enjoy holidays that much, and i understand that commercialization of them is bad and annoying, xmas here is almost unbearable. Americans are constantly battered by ads, so I've tuned them out completely, and the holidays don't really change that, just the flavor of the ads. None of those are American inventions, honestly we don't really invent stuff here, we just put our twist on it. I have happy memories from holidays tho, both as a kid and as an adult.

Europe also has very similar holiday celebrations, octoberfest comes to mind, guy fawkes day, Mardi gras, st Patrick's day, e.t.c. They likely aren't as commercialized there, but remember in America corporations run the world. You guys also have much more vacation time and better wages usually, so here people need something to look forward to, even if it's a simple night of girls dressing like skanks on a cold work night :lol: Halloween costs almost nothing compared to other holidays too, so there's that. Steak and bj day hardly makes up for valentine's day, and lots of people actually kill themselves around Christmas due to the stress of trying to buy stuff they can't afford for their families.

The Kid didn't die.
Fractured pelvis and he'll need some skin transplants.

All I can say, good thing it wasn't a dog.

Halloween's great. This is my favorite time of year, and it's the one pagan holiday that hasn't been corrupted by Christianity. They stole all the others, and slapped a new name on them.

Yea, people totally bring trees in the house and celebrate with lights cause Jesus or something. Doesn't have anything to do with jul, or the other stuff from before the Jesus story was concocted. Also, Easter totally isn't a fertility festival or anything. It's all about the Jesus. Always was.

Halloween was originally called Samhain & has been celebrated as part of the autumnal equinox since Neolithic times. Was fun as a kid, we made our own costumes out of whatever there was - awesome when you are a little one. It has changed into another money hungry festival to bleed more out of the parents these days, sad really

Just got in from taking care of some of that spruce. I wanted some boards out of it, but was a bit concerned with how nasty the top looked. I turned it into two 10.5' logs, and discarded the top ~6'. The upper log will be a little iffy, but I'll definitely get some good boards out of the bottom. Made a few Swiss candles I'm anxious to try. Never did it before. If that works well, I'll turn the remaining rounds into candles.

Before I even setup, my neighbor was out back, and said he saw me in the tree yesterday. Asked how big my saw was(pointing to my cs400 case), cause it was cutting wood fast. Said he just got a Craftsman with a 20" bar, and asked if the echo was 20". I'm like "Umm... Well, that saw has a 16" bar, but I didn't use it yesterday. I used a 12" bar with my other echo in the tree, and felled it with a 20" bar on my Stihl." He looked shocked when I mentioned the 12" echo, and pleased when I mentioned the 20" Stihl(Just like his!) :^D I debated getting into particulars with him, but just went with bar size. Not much point. It would have just confused him, frustrated me, and he might have ended up a bit less happy with his Craftsman. That's a losing proposition all around. He isn't interested in being a wood cutter, so I might as well leave him fat, dumb, and happy :^)

Back