How'd it go today?

Darin, that's the problem that most people have when they try to use a VT like a Blake's hitch. The VT doesn't need to be further away, it needs to be closer. You don't push the hitch up ahead of you, you simply pull the tail of your rope and the hitch stays in place in front of your saddle.
:thumbup:

Andy, sounds like your job is going great. Whenever you think about how bad you got it, ask yourself if you'd rather be installing windshields. ;)

Blowdown the other day, and glad not up in this thang ...

Attachments

• Cottonwood1.jpg
    Cottonwood1.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Cottonwood3.jpg
    Cottonwood3.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Cottonwood9.jpg
    Cottonwood9.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 11
Well I've been using a Blake's hitch for some time. I figure I am trying something new and will give it time before I decide if I like it. It worked well letting slack out climbing out a limb. It worked poorly (my fault?) coming back and trying to pull it tight enough to lean over the side against the climbline. I need to try it with a false crotch too as I understand that is how they work best today was all natural crotches. I tried an 8mm beeline and a 10mm beeline both grizzly spliced precut lengths. I have a bunch of 10mm beeline that I will try to make into a shorter piece. I am climbing on Fire and using a might mouse pulley.

Andy, sounds like your job is going great. Whenever you think about how bad you got it, ask yourself if you'd rather be installing windshields. ;)

Touche Brian, touche!!! And did I mention they were paying me STUPID amounts of money, I get paid every Friday, and the checks clear the bank?:D

Oh yeah, HECK of a tree Chucky!!!

No, OM, we were sort of hoping it would, of course, but it just leaned up a tad. So now I'm hoping the spring rains will wash most the dirt off the roots so I can finish it. It's gonna be ugly regardless. My buddie's got a loader that can drag it out onto the ice to be taken out in spring, but that's kind of frowned upon by the DEC (department of Environmental Conservation).

Chuckster, we've flipped many of them over with a high lifter jack. If the rain washes the dirt off you can fairly well kiss flipping it back over good bye.

After the storm, I'd flip the stumps over as dad ground them... good times!

The guy said that there is no compression in one cylinder and the other cylinder has better than new compression.
Some times these small engines will blow loose a valve insert causing a valve to hang open.This is an easy fix .Even if the rings were completely gone on one cylinder it would still pump some compression.

Man what a night. Had to help my friends father with a water main break in the city. 1p.m.-2.30a.m. I'm pretty washed up. Mud, water, cold, concrete.

Draining over 6 blocks of 24" water pipe coming out of a 4" hole takes a while...

Some times these small engines will blow loose a valve insert causing a valve to hang open.This is an easy fix .Even if the rings were completely gone on one cylinder it would still pump some compression.

He said it had 10 pounds Al. He also said that so much oil was coming out of the cylinder that the inside of the exhaust manifold/muffler was clean. Would that still point towards a valve? I'm :?.

He said it had 10 pounds Al. He also said that so much oil was coming out of the cylinder that the inside of the exhaust manifold/muffler was clean. Would that still point towards a valve? I'm :?.
Well the only way to know is to remove the head.Little air cooled engines by their very nature pull a lot of oil up high in the cylinder.

A little story,as usual. I have an 18 HP Briggs powered mower that a dealer told the previous owner that a mouse had built a nest in the engine. I thought this was a good trick for the mouse. He must have been named Houdini to be able to get passed the valves.

The dealer actually wanted to sell this guy a new mower,which he did. I bought the supposidely mouse infested mower for 200 bucks.It was as I said a valve seat that popped loose.

To lose that much compression it would take more than faulty rings.Could be valves or even a hole burnt in the piston .Rare but it happens.

For that matter,often the danged exhaust valves stick on those engines.They only have to hang open just a teeny bit to not work at all and blow out all the compression.

Steve, working on those engines mechanically is fairly simple.

I pulled the heads off my mini's motor and put them back on with little issue.

My problem was gas had thinned the oil to the point that it was burning oil like something let go. On my Kohler, the approved way to shut it down is cutting the key off with it wide open.

Would hate for you to spend oodles of money on something you could do yourself (if you wanted).

Well the only way to know is to remove the head.Little air cooled engines by their very nature pull a lot of oil up high in the cylinder.

A little story,as usual. I have an 18 HP Briggs powered mower that a dealer told the previous owner that a mouse had built a nest in the engine. I thought this was a good trick for the mouse. He must have been named Houdini to be able to get passed the valves.

The dealer actually wanted to sell this guy a new mower,which he did. I bought the supposidely mouse infested mower for 200 bucks.It was as I said a valve seat that popped loose.

To lose that much compression it would take more than faulty rings.Could be valves or even a hole burnt in the piston .Rare but it happens.

For that matter,often the danged exhaust valves stick on those engines.They only have to hang open just a teeny bit to not work at all and blow out all the compression.

I'm thinking that someone should pull the head off to make sure that I'm not spending money unnecessarily, thanks guys. I'm kind of preoccupied with treework and my truck motor so I will probably pay them to do that. The only time I had a valve seat come out, it was on my 51 ford with the flathead V-8 and it made a rather loud ticking noise. I guess we have done enough speculating it's time to take a look see.

Thought I was the cat's meow today wearing my new
arborwear pants for the first time til I put my right spur through the left cuff.

Oh well, bound to happen, Wrecked a sappy pine pitch canked out mess.

:)

Lots of good news today. The phone is starting to ring and I've got work coming in again. Going to take down 3 trees tomorrow and two more on Sunday (retail store parking lot). I've been on the phone getting insurance requirements and other paperwork items handled for the new truck purchase next week. I stopped by the 'park & sell' lot this afternoon and gave them a check for the first month of parking for my old truck once I get the new one home next week.

I'm glad that I've finally got something to do. I dislike having all this down time in the winter. I can sit at home for a week without doing anything, but at the end of the week it doesn't seem like I've had a lot of extra time. I'm looking forward to actually making a bank deposit again instead of drawing off my equity line.

Back