How'd it go today?

Is it ok to drink it unfiltered? Is it good swimming temps in the summer?

Now that Lake Superior was mentioned I have Gordon Lightfoot stuck in my head. Thanks. It would be better if I knew all the words but at least I like the song.

Had a fairly easy day today. Three removals (18", 22",& 32" dbh) for the gas company. Got done early enough to change chipper knives before taking my bucket truck to get tires. I'm glad I don't have to do that again for a while. That check hurt to write. Oh well that's the price of owning one I guess.

Ya know what I find cool about "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald?" That Gordon read an article on the wreck in Time magazine, just like millions of other peeps did, and he was the only one to write an amazing song about it using some of the copy in the article virtually word for word as the lyrics. :drink:

What always gets me about that song, is the part that if the ship had made it a few miles further before taking water, they could have reached shelter. Bad luck.

... before taking my bucket truck to get tires. I'm glad I don't have to do that again for a while. That check hurt to write. Oh well that's the price of owning one I guess.

Cover the tires from UV exposure. The sidewalls will get too much weathering, compared to tread wear, if you don't drive it very much.

The truck goes out a few times a week anymore. To busy to only do my thing on Saturdays. During the winter it gets parked inside and on planks to keep the tires off the concrete. Don't really know if the planks help but my nieghbor when I was growing up kept his Oldsmobile like that and tires seemed to last forever. I think they are still on there.

One of the properties I work at is putting in a 60m wide formal garden...we are pruning the elms in the eastern side, two fair sized ones have to be felled...looking forward to doing that!
They have a loader to move the big wood thank goodness, only have to cut it to 4m lengths. No-one wants it to mill, it will probably get burned.

Tires used to be made to last. I have an elevator with snow tires I mounted on it twenty years ago. The tires came off a car my Dad owned from 1970.

They probably banned some nasty ingredient that used to make them last.

Both those things. Wouldn't tell people to drink out of the lake, but I have certainly done it.

That is awesome! So is there an environmental awareness in the communities there that fosters good practices to keep it clean, as opposed to 'it just sorta seems to stay clean?"

Tires used to be made to last. I have an elevator with snow tires I mounted on it twenty years ago. The tires came off a car my Dad owned from 1970.

They probably banned some nasty ingredient that used to make them last.

:lol:

Ran into this today...someone advertising their open mic night...smart camera placement:lol:

Attachments

• open_mic.jpg
    open_mic.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 45
I knew I was gonna pay for the easy day yesterday. Big nasty hollow silver maple. It overhangs the power, two houses, and multiple service lines. Oh and it's elevated on a steep bank toward the road. The boss apologized on the way to the job so I knew it was gonna be bad. We are taking it small and making good progress but I think it'll be till Friday until I make a flush it on the stump. I did the easy bucket work while contemplating the climb. I think that's what ruined it. I just couldn't get into a groove climbing. Oh well tomorrow is another day.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
The last is a pic of daylight eight feet away

Bad one Rich.

Fiona: Pics of the Elm Falls! :rockon:

My last day at work was last Friday when I got smacked in the eyehole by the end of my climb line. I had gone back to it after break, without my safety glasses on and had begun wrapping up my line to move to another tree when my line got a bit snagged in the ground brush. I just gave it a nice hard tug and, SMACK!... the tail blasted me in the right eye producing a nasty Hyphema, that completely (temporarily) blinded me in that eye. I'm back to work today with about 50% of my vision in that eye... just groundwork for three days, and then, God willing, back to full duty. Doc is hopeful I'll get most of my sight back in that eye. God is good. Wear your glasses, young boys and girls!!

Here's one of the trees from Fri. Nasty schoolmarm Cedar. This crotch is about 50' up where the wind put the one lead in the back yard.

unnamed-227.jpg

Here's how NOT to cut a Cedar top. Not sure what I was thinking. Still had two good eyes at this point too.

unnamed-228.jpg

unnamed-225.jpg unnamed-226.jpg

Sorry to hear about the eye, Jed...I have gotten hurt before, too, not doing the "tree work" but the ancillary "safe" stuff...like coiling ropes, pulling my snap back to me thru a crotch and almost getting busted in the face, etc.

I have started wearing the TreeStuff mesh glasses pretty much all the time...no fog and constant eye protection.

Though I went to a chainsaw safety class last week and the instructor made me realize the mesh is probably not good for projectile protection (like if a piece of chain metal breaks off at speed and hits you...I had not thought of that scenario until he brought it up...I always figured wood chips were the main worry...guess plastic wedge chips could be a problem, too).

Was that fractured top cut a Coos Bay type cut...the hinge wood looks triangular.

Was the trunk fractured before you made your cut?

Back