How'd it go today?

Sure has been, only saving grace here has been a breeze. Did this just to loose the potential hazard for my friend and got paid to boot.
Hazardous hickory: https://youtu.be/Jrdj68bBI_8

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jrdj68bBI_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cut down a doghair 120' Doug Fir today that was leaning into a few others. Figured I'd skip the step of an overhead tie-in even though there was a good, solid 165er standing right next to it. New groundman Andy made me change my mind at the last minute. Thank you God! All I'm going to say... Thank you God... Thank you Andy...Thank you God...Thank you Andy! Thank you God!

The Tour is cool! I've been watching a fair amount, those fellas make riding a bike thru huge mountains seem like cake. And the crashes- whoa!!

Yeah...clue us in, Jed...you may help somebody here listen closer to that inner voice that often tells us what to do...and that we sometimes ignore.

Did we come close to loosing an inbred today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still sullying the gene pool. :rockon: But... To try to answer your question... I don't really know. When I made the decision to go up on a flipline only, I was counting on the fact that if the stem failed from my body weight--a prospect that I seriously doubted--then the tree would just further hang-up in the others :|: My friend explicated the extreme stupidity of this policy, and I acquiesced with the overhead from the adjacent Fir.

Long story short.... every major limb that I took off of that doghair was in compression into the other firs, so that (had I not been tied in behind me) the darned thing would have just kept leaning over more and more if I had been (I doubt if even I would have) stupid enough to continue. With the over-head tie... when the stem started to fail, I just sucked up the slack on the climb line (against my flipline around the failing stem) thus keeping the stupid thing in the air.. Thank you God Thank you Andy, etc. etc, etc......

Oh... and "well done" on freeing up that Hickory hangup Riskybuis... cool little vid.. big tree.

That is always my worst fear, the stem failing below me. Yea the stub was well ya know one of those it's out of the way and the last branch catches it

Met up with treegongfu and his family today. A great guy! My little girl had fun, didn't want to leave, had to drag her to my truck. I had a small climb on the CBDB, nice piece of gear. Thanks again!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kHpQuTUS7CM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My wife peeked over when I watched that and said " you don't even think about it. You get enough bad ideas on your own, you shouldn't even be allowed on the internet". She's still upset because my five year old wants a saddle so she can climb with me.

My words for instructing the kids were "let me show them a safe way to climb honey before they just free climb up one on their own, fall and break something."

Good stuff Peter and Scott :thumbup:

My GF was pretty ticked off, I smoothed it over no problem, I just pointed out all the times her driving nearly got everyone killed!! ;)

Back to work today after 9 weeks off...little backyard job, fell a small cypress cut out two tiny pencil pines, prune a wee bit of juniper...enough for now, time to go.

Really nice to be back at it though, I have been cleaning saws and fixing webbing and sorting kit for the past two weeks...bank account will be happier as well, flippin' bills keep coming in.

Dammit! I just found my basement flooded from the huge damn rainstorm lastnight. Never a hint of water during the spring melts and now this! Fully finished too. I guess I've got something to do today.

Back