How'd it go today?

Today sucked. I think I set a record for the most trees climbed for the least amount of money. It was a friends job and he bid it foolishly low in the hopes of getting his foot in the door with a golf course. I tried to maintain a good attitude but failed and was quite grumpy in the afternoon(the job as described to me was supposed to be three hours of work).

This evening was much better as I played with Haley, put cobwebs on our house and carved pumpkins. My wife's shepherd's pie was dandy too.

Kathy has a shepherd who bakes? Wow!

I had the achey grumpy's and was worn out after one Silver Maple climb. I had a big Elm to do but I also had a date with my wife so I did a bunch of polesaw work on it and left the climbing for tomorrow.
We went and saw " The Brave One". It is hard to beat a good vigilante movie.

I had a line clearance job on a second wire and 3 phone lines. I knicked one of the phone lines with my chainsaw and had to call the phone co. to come out and fix it. It was a huge pyrocantha bush.

I had a line clearance job on a second wire and 3 phone lines. I knicked one of the phone lines with my chainsaw and had to call the phone co. to come out and fix it. It was a huge pyrocantha bush.

Uh, had to call the phone company. I used to get these in line splicers from the phone guys. They would give them to me.
But now for some reason they dont do that anymore. What used to take 5 minutes now is truly a headache.

We got called in for another day in the Hell backyard. Steep slope, long drag, steps...Killed 5 more trees today. Couldn't put the saw down without it tumbling down the hill. PITA

Here's some pics of one of the trees.

Later,

B

Today sucked. I think I set a record for the most trees climbed for the least amount of money. It was a friends job and he bid it foolishly low in the hopes of getting his foot in the door with a golf course. I tried to maintain a good attitude but failed and was quite grumpy in the afternoon(the job as described to me was supposed to be three hours of work).

This evening was much better as I played with Haley, put cobwebs on our house and carved pumpkins. My wife's shepherd's pie was dandy too.

Thanks for the chippen, glad the rest of your evening want better...Sincerely from your other friend.

Today I was working across the street from the parish cattle auction house. Two big pigs come out running of there and hauled ass across a 4 lane divided highway, headed to the Red River levee. Ha! It was a helluva a sight, and no one went after them!

HA! thats a good one, the great escape, hog style!

1mmd.jpg

We got called in for another day in the Hell backyard. Steep slope, long drag, steps...Killed 5 more trees today. Couldn't put the saw down without it tumbling down the hill. PITA

Here's some pics of one of the trees.

Later,

B

sounds like terrain round here.....no mini or high line access?

sounds like terrain round here.....no mini or high line access?

Nothing. There was a flight of steps less than 3' wide, up a 12' grade. Backyard was about 50'x50', with a grade of about 50%. Between the tripping, trying to cut logs to prevent them tumbling down the hill, and the drag, I can hardly keep my eyes open typing this.

A high line wouldn't of helped on any of ther 10 other trees besides the one I posted pics of. The time it would take to explain to my brother the groundie, it was easy to drop and drag.

Wish I could find some experienced help, but 1-2 days a week right now isn't appealing to anyone, nor am I looking.

We have this thing going where I work for his fence company, and he works for me. Keep track of the hours and they just equal out. Helps as we save from paying out, and we are both building new businesses.

I thought you were gonna be an atomic welder/fabricator?

I was looking for any job in the electrcal, electronics, or welding/fabrication field.

The good thing with this job, in 20 years, for example, I may be burned out on ATM's, but not physically worn out, like if I were a welder.

I mean, for starting pay, I'm salaried at just under 29k plus a great oppurtunity for working plenty of paid overtime. I have a great benefits and retirement package, and above all a job that I get up in the morning and look forward to going to.

I've never met a career welder that looked less than 15 years older than his age, don't know of any that are in "good" health, I'll pass.

Maybe it's the fumes. I ground a stump from hell this morning and then went and rented a walk-behind stump grinder and my guy and I had to lift it over a swimming pool to get these two stumps behind the pool. Typical rental unit, the teeth were so-so and the throttle wouldn't stay at full throttle. Had to tighten the nut that holds it. Stopped at a muffler shop to see about installing a catalytic converter and muffler and tail pipe on my PU as this stuff was all torn up by the guy before me and I have to smog my PU next month. My "buddy" that had a muffler shop and moved to Washington a few months quoted me 700 to 800 dollars for this. The shop I stopped in at about 4:00 apologised for not being able to do it today and will do it tomorrow am for $170.

Back