How'd it go today?

Good day today. Got asphalt spread in sister's drive, sharpened a chain for a farmer that dropped in, set up 3 jobs for the middle of the week, and cut up a knocked down Maple & a Spruce on a storm job.

Drive way turned out nicer than expected...didn't think I get it that flat & nice looking w/ the mini.:)

Working for a Sunday. Had a developer call on Thursday about wanting to break ground on a lakefront building lot by Monday. Million dollar plus home going on a million dollar lot so I threw a number that was borderline ridiculous and they didn't even blink.

No rest for the wicked or me either.

Nothing wrong with throwing out a retarded high number and seeing if it sticks. :thumbup:

I thought I was going to make it all winter without a cold. Guess not. I'm in such bad shape my hair hurts if I type too loud.

Dr office today.

Wow, spent more time lost in the parking ramp, elevators, etc. than I spent in the rooms & waiting together. Place is a nightmare to navigate starting with the traffic jam when trying to enter the ramp.

you have to use the parking elevator to get into the building then find the building elevator (not same hall) to find your floor. On the way back out I only got lost once when the parking elevator dumped me in the lobby on the main floor of the building. Thank god for information desks and employees who are happy to guide one around.

Goodness there are some beautiful women working at that place (maybe why I got lost so much?).

The actual session with the Doc and the CT took hardly any time at all; maybe 30min total including the trip to the other floor for the CT.

Should get results tomorrow some time. they will call and give me good results over the phone or tell me to come in so the doc can give me bad results in person...WTH!?

Today was a bit breezy for climbing but we got the tree down. The boys from ashplundth "trimmed" the tree in the front yard for three hours as they watched me climb to remove the one in the back. I had one of the groundies walk out and tell them that I charge for the show. Had that Christmas time excitement for my Treestuff order but was a pair of rigging blocks short. Oh well, I'll call tomorrow and get it figured out. Still love them.

Another day blended into night of production work then calls and quotes. Today is day 7 straight of production 4 more to go until a day off. It'd be a cakewalk if I wasn't running the whole thing as well.

We dried up our Jersey two weeks ago, as she is due to calve in June. Used up the last of our fresh milk yesterday, so my wife had to pick up a gallon at the store. I just finished a plate of scrambled eggs and toast with a glass of the stuff...hard to believe how far short it falls in comparison to fresh milk. I can't wait until we're milking again!

We never did have milk cows. My grandpa did have a milking and hog operation. You needed hogs if you had several cows, to drink the skim.

They sold eggs and cream in town to pay for groceries.

One winter day all 25 of the cows wandered onto a frozen pond and went through. No one floated the idea of replacing them!

I agree, there is nothing better than COLD fresh milk. Dad used to talk of getting cereal in the morning, and the first one up could skim the cream and have it for themselves on the cereal, with a load of sugar.

Do you keep the calf or can you sell it?

Another day blended into night of production work then calls and quotes. Today is day 7 straight of production 4 more to go until a day off. It'd be a cakewalk if I wasn't running the whole thing as well.

Weird to quote myself but the fates have shined on me in a weird sort of way. Woke up to snow and rain which made the scheduled job a no go and rather than scrambling/juggling something else together I said frig it. A day off of production!

Do you keep the calf or can you sell it?

Our plan is to keep it if it's a heifer to replace the cow as she's 8 years old already, and we won't be able to breed the heifer for a couple of years. If it's a bull, we will butcher it.

Fresh eggs and milk for breakfast are my way of getting going in the morning.

Blood work, two crews and I am just getting breakfast. Crazy morning so far. Everyone running late did not helpy morning. Rob had to wait and chill for his help to arrive.

Sounds like a good plan.
Its funny that my wife doesnt want a milk cow. She worked on a dairy for years.
I hear you though, when our chickens quit laying during the winter we buy town eggs. They suck!
I already pay 1000 bucks a month to heat the damn place in winter, i ought to insulate and heat the chicken house. My chickens would thank me! We raise hogs too sometimes, fresh side pork is good too.

Dumb cows. :)

There's a knock knock joke on the kids movie "Home".

Knock knock
Who's there
Interrupting cow
Interu...
MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a kid on our farm I milked cows by hand before school ,then ran the milk through a cream seperator. After school chop the hole in the dugout in winter for the cows and horses to drink.

My tree season starts up next week, still got snow and melting here, then freezing again. Did estimates all last week and into this week, got the truck in the paint shop ready for Fri.
I haven't cut a stick since last August as we moved to a new town and bought a new home . Shut down the business and for the last 8 months over fall and winter I moved my chainsaw shop/ change room . Ripped out the hot tub room and made it into a 5th bedroom. Finished off the drywall inside the garage, put in a new overhead garage door to get my trailer from the back yard, trailer stays in the garage over the tree season.
Built a gym downstairs. Put in 4 new windows. Put in a new office, ran the chainsaw contest back home, new phone number on the trailer, business cards....................

So now that's out of the way I'm all ready to give 'er for the next 7-8 months for this year and the next 15 years.:D

20150414_095425.jpg 20150414_095911.jpg

Butch, we've had insurance pay for one cow eaten by coyotes, then another struck by lightening under a tree, then a few years later five more killed under the same tree. Maybe we should cut that tree down.

Hey Sean, yes the sunroom is great , it shortened our winter. Great place to start spring garden plants, I'm going to rip those speed cutting timbers in half and make a small cribbed garden.

Tractor/ mini loader not sure yet what to get. I was looking at those little model 325 Bobcat excavators, now that machine has potential with a BMG . Very versatile machine as it has a blade too.
But still leaning to a mini skid steer, sooner then later I want one, we'll see how this year turns out.

Back