How'd it go today?

Sometime earlier this year I was bemoaning the fact that I had never flown in a helicopter.
So for my birthday, my Swiss lady gave me a trip in one. Going along and over the North face of the Eiger, no less.
That mountain has always fascinated me and I must say the " Nord wand" is impressive from close up.
Yesterday was the first chance we had to do it, but it was well worht the wait.
The Swiss Alps at their best.
Afterwards we went hiking around Rosenlau, near the Reichenbachfall where Sherlock Holmes tossed Professor Moriarty in. That is some fine scenery, too.

A nice day, really.
Now I'm back in Denmark and have a large beech to zipline out tomorrow, oh well.
P1000615.JPG P1000596.JPG P1000601.JPG P1000604.JPG P1000612.JPG P1000617.JPG P1000616.JPG

I bet it was fun as a sumbeach! We used to have a member (Doug?) who had a 'lil coptor. It comes up in the rotator once in a while.

nice pics Stig!

Good day today. trimmed a large Ash from above house, dropped a big Maple and removed a Beach leaning over the other side of the house. Nice variety through the day and groundy did great job on the ropes. :) Now I'm pooped...in a good way.

Sounds amazing,Stig. A helicopter ride is a funny thing, different than other things like a big or small plane. I have had about 5 minutes of a ride, but it was wild. A LifeFlight copter came for a Wilderness First Responder training . The nordwand and a helicopter, she knows how to treat you.

So just a quick update on my earlier post. "yarding" is working as planned. This rigging ring was never going to make it out alive, and the rope will be retired to light duty if it survives at all. This was just the first day, and there will likely be a few weeks of similar work ahead. I'll keep updating on how the ring and the rope fare. I tried to rotate the ring while in use, but that proved difficult. If I'd used a regular locked brummel tenex sling I could have rotated the ring and saved some of the wear. No worries, like I said, this is pretty extreme testing, and the ring will be scrapped when I'm done. She got too hot to touch, but not so much so that it damaged the rope. The rope was picking up a log of grit, which was the main factor in the wear to the ring itself. All in all this is working well, and we'll continue tomorrow.

DSC03723.JPG

DSC03734.JPG

DSC03725.JPG

DSC03732.JPG

DSC03726.JPG

DSC03736.JPG

I had to cut the ring free of it's sling to rotate it for tomorrow.

cheers. 8)

ETA: I just put new knives on the chipper, and in light of how dirty everything is, I'm just going to park it. We'll use the clam on the excavator to load the dump trucks directly and haul.

finished first day of three removing leaners and trimming over house. HO's Son is running ropes, has some experience, and did a great job! Too bad he lives in Tn and is just visiting for the week, I'd hire him in a second.

Should make enough this week to get my chip truck back on the road. That will be a relief.

Jobs are coming in at a good pace now to keep me about a month out...comfy :)

So just a quick update on my earlier post. "yarding" is working as planned. This rigging ring was never going to make it out alive, and the rope will be retired to light duty if it survives at all. This was just the first day, and there will likely be a few weeks of similar work ahead. I'll keep updating on how the ring and the rope fare. I tried to rotate the ring while in use, but that proved difficult. If I'd used a regular locked brummel tenex sling I could have rotated the ring and saved some of the wear. No worries, like I said, this is pretty extreme testing, and the ring will be scrapped when I'm done. She got too hot to touch, but not so much so that it damaged the rope. The rope was picking up a log of grit, which was the main factor in the wear to the ring itself. All in all this is working well, and we'll continue tomorrow.

View attachment 55408

View attachment 55409

View attachment 55410

View attachment 55413

View attachment 55412

View attachment 55411

I had to cut the ring free of it's sling to rotate it for tomorrow.

cheers. 8)

ETA: I just put new knives on the chipper, and in light of how dirty everything is, I'm just going to park it. We'll use the clam on the excavator to load the dump trucks directly and haul.

Thats why I said scrap it and use a block. Less bend, less friction, purpose built.

Pine logs aren't bringing much these days. The hundred tree removal job required sis truckloads hauled. Transport fees were $1200, and the logs sold at auction for $1900. Not complaining though, I was wondering if what they fetched would cover the transportation.

I'm back in Bermuda for a while, back to take care of clients who wait for my return.
Dance card is filling up, back to the tropical trees, Norfolk Pine removal, Poinciana removal, both will need a crane truck, at least here I can ride the ball (yay)...Kigelia prune aka 'sausage tree', funky!
One property today listed about a weeks worth of work, and tomorrow I go see my primary client, They'll fill in the majority of the time till August.
The heat is coming, after 9 months in the temperate zone, it's going to be an adjustment, but this work is what I grew up on so I know what to expect!
Plenty of beaching in between though, got to go back to Tassie with a tan :)

I'm back in Bermuda for a while, back to take care of clients who wait for my return.
Dance card is filling up, back to the tropical trees, Norfolk Pine removal, Poinciana removal, both will need a crane truck, at least here I can ride the ball (yay)...Kigelia prune aka 'sausage tree', funky!
One property today listed about a weeks worth of work, and tomorrow I go see my primary client, They'll fill in the majority of the time till August.
The heat is coming, after 9 months in the temperate zone, it's going to be an adjustment, but this work is what I grew up on so I know what to expect!
Plenty of beaching in between though, got to go back to Tassie with a tan :)

Sounds awesome.:thumbup:
J8)

:lol: I would use a pulley guys, if the powers that be would spring for one. No one with a check book around here understands or cares. Just had a passing interest in beating one of these X-Rings to death, so I put one of mine up. I know it's not a correct application, and if this were paying tree work for a customer I would use the correct gear. It's me not wanting to drag brush by hand. . .

Originally they wanted to try and have us pick up the slash with the excavator's clam. Would have been hell on the trees. . . ;)

Back